PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style stalwart squeaky Book of remembrance

Options

Comments

• SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am really shocked to hear this. Squeaky made an enormous difference to the Old Style board. He was also a great animal lover (particularly cats). I hope his cats have found good homes. Condolences to his friends and family. RIP Squeaky, gone but not forgotten.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RIP Squeaky

Just to add my personal thanks to Squeaky. The Old Style board is an incredible community, and his indexing and links was the oil greasing the engine allowing those who wanted to get thrifty to start.

While I only had limited personal dealings with Squeaky they were always positive and pleasant and he seemed a thoroughly nice chap.

So thank you Squeaky for all you did for so many people.

Martin

PS. We will look at naming one of the indexing threads in his honours as some have suggested.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I see that this thread will appear in the 'MoneyTips Email'.............so millions of people will read about the contribution squeaky made to the MSE Forum.

Thanks Martin.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    RIP Squeaky x

Just a thought, could MSE add his name to the Old style Index as a lasting tribute?

How sad, many condolences to his family & friends.
    Squeaky was one of the stalwarts! He will be sorely missed.

very good idea Luxor4t:T
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers go out to Squeaky's family and friends. I wish I had known him better. In future when I do something silly on here, I will imagine a hand holding a ruler reaching down from heaven and tapping me smartly on the knuckles.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,381 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    So sorry to hear this.
    RIP squeaky.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    So sad. Although I don't post on the Old Style board I read it a great deal and the index collection is just brilliant for dipsticks like me - such a massive help.

Thank you so much Squeaky, I hope you are looking down and feeling the love and appreciation.

Love Buffy xxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 July 2013 at 2:23AM
    Options
    I was shocked to read this thread.

I spent a lovely weekend in London with Richard (aka sqeaky) and another MSE'r a few years ago. Even then, he wasn't in the best of health, but insisted on cooking us both a delicious pie and doing all the washing up afterwards! He had a great love of cooking, his cat Sally, gardening and wildlife in general.

He worked tirelessly on the indexes and gave his all to Old Style and will be remembered by so many people for his input and advice on MSE.

My condolences to squeaky's family and friends...He will be missed.

Pink
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Squeaky was a great support to me when the tough thread was removed around 18 month ago. I was going through a real tough period and needed that thread. I was still learning OS ways, picking up tips and it was a welcome distraction to my own life and my depression. I PM'd squeaky and we PM'd back and forth for a little while.

It is through Squeaky's advice of just let it die down, let it be etc that gave me faith that the tough thread could be resurrected in time and not just that it was closed, end of story.

A good kind hearted man with so much in the way of OS knowledge.

I'm so sorry to read of his passing and I too would love to see Squeaky's index named after him.
  • Former_MSE_Forum_Manager
    Options
    Hi folks,

Just to let you know we've now amended the index thread title as a mark of respect and changed the insert at the top.

There will also be a respectful note in this week's tip, in the community section.

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing