Is this me... in the mortgage free..?? :-0

Replies

• lamarsilamarsi Forumite
    805 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    just got a call from my fav ward to do a night shift tonight!! yeah!! that's more money to pay of my mortgage!
    I've kinda mentioned it abit on here but one of my dreams is to when i finish paying for the house get myself a canal boat to live on, rent my house out for a few years and live the life of a water rat for a few years, anyway last time I mentioned I'd like to live on a boat mum was really upset (long story but I used to live on a bus and they never knew were I was) anyway yesterday my dad was saying him and mum were talking about hiring a canal boat for the three of us to see how I liked it !! I think the fact that I wouldn't be selling my house to fund it has made them happier about it :)
    get rid of all the pounds by summer !!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    Was -£8900 NOW-£5000 PAID- £3900
    Get rid of the weight, pay the debt, then get myself a campavan! :T
  • specialkayespecialkaye Forumite
    194 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    How did the shift go on the fav ward - no lazy agency workers i hope.

The canal boat sounds fab but I do agree it needs to be tried first!! But then some of lifes best adventured are those unplanned moments.

And you lived on a bus!! - was that a cool thing - it sounds like it was a cool thing but easily could be the exact opposite.

Well done on the mortgage overpayment- a drop of £50 a month is huge. And itll only keep going down!! OO how exciting.
    1% at a time challenge member #127

MWF: [email protected] Oct13 £45,917, now £43,024.56
    805 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    hiya specialkaye, the shift was good thanks, no lazy agency workers cause the agency worker was ME! ha!
    Yip used to live on a bus.. well a coach converted to live in I loved it except sometimes in winter, but summer.. ah the best ever times!

Well I've only made an over payment of just over £130 this month as I've had to pay for the car insurance and my £100 to the royal college of nurses to work as a nurse! Plus I spent almost £160 on food packs as I'm on a diet and forgot to cancel a game I used to play so I've been signed up again for another year :huh: all in all an expensive month but having done 6 extra shifts last month I'm hoping to be able to pay more next pay day and if I stick with my diet plan I won't have to buy any more food for at least a month :T

Been wondering... How do people keep the momentum going for years? at the moment it seems so fresh and exciting but I'm worried that when I've been doing it for a while and friends are going on holidays or nights out I may feel less enthusiastic!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
  • skint_spiceskint_spice Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamarsi wrote: »

Been wondering... How do people keep the momentum going for years? at the moment it seems so fresh and exciting but I'm worried that when I've been doing it for a while and friends are going on holidays or nights out I may feel less enthusiastic!

Personally I like to allow some money for nights out and holidays, I could manage without if it was short term but as folk say it's a marathon not a sprint...:D

Someone had a template where she coloured a brick in on her house each time she owned a bit more of it, wee things like that help keep you focused.
    MFW year 1 overpayment £1525/£2000
    Original Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Sep 28/Current Dec 35

• misscousinittmisscousinitt Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome

It is difficult to keep the momentum going - sometimes it feels such a long time between pay days.

I think its right that you should budget a bit for holidays and enjoying yourself - that way you don't feel deprived and keep the motivation going.

Good luck with your journey and take care.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
    805 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice guys..I think I will start to put a little aside for me time! omg I'm so OCD the idea of colouring in a brick for each pound I pay is an amazing idea! so I'm of to try and make a house with 42300 bricks in it lol
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    805 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just been reading through some of the other diary's for inspiration.. it's almost three in the morning and I'm the only nurse on the ward, I've realised that if I'm wanting to really really be MF rather than just pay my mortgage of quickly I'm going to have to be abit more inventive than doing the odd bit of overtime... hmm away to have my break and a little think .....:o
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
  • gallygirlgallygirl Forumite
    17.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamarsi wrote: »
    Just been reading through some of the other diary's for inspiration.. it's almost three in the morning and I'm the only nurse on the ward, I've realised that if I'm wanting to really really be MF rather than just pay my mortgage of quickly I'm going to have to be abit more inventive than doing the odd bit of overtime... hmm away to have my break and a little think .....:o
    Have you read Rich Dad Poor Dad? That'll get you thinking :D. Really changed/crystalised my viewpoint.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    805 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Have you read Rich Dad Poor Dad? That'll get you thinking :D. Really changed/crystalised my viewpoint.
    no I've never heard of it I'll go google it and get back to you thank you xx
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    805 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    well getting ready for another night shift, last one until monday so weekend free! but considering i'm not drinking spending or eating not that exciting lol try to get a bank shift over the weekend but otherwise I'm going to get some gardening and clean up done, god I sound so boring.. put visit some friends on that list!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News