Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 539.6K views

Replies

• PaggPagg Forumite
    85 Posts
    Like crisps?

ALL CRISPS have a sell by date that is on a SATURDAY! Go on test it... check the sell by dates at your local supermarket. Then go in on Sunday or Monday for cheap nibbles.
  • katsukatsu Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you like reading magazines, go for a walk around town and collect the free ones in:
    John Lewis
    Specsavers
    Boots
    Superdrug
    Asda
    Tesco
    First Great Western trains (umm, on your way to the shops by train?)

Anyone know any I've missed?

I enjoy vegging out with magazines so this mixes moneysaving, healthy exercise and fun.
    Debt at highest: £8k :eek: Debt Free 31/12/2009 :D (ten years and counting :j). Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018. Save £12k in 2020 member #41
  • BatgirlBatgirl Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    katsu wrote: »
    If you like reading magazines, go for a walk around town and collect the free ones in:
    John Lewis
    Specsavers
    Boots
    Superdrug
    Asda
    Tesco
    First Great Western trains (umm, on your way to the shops by train?)

Anyone know any I've missed?

I enjoy vegging out with magazines so this mixes moneysaving, healthy exercise and fun.

Somerfield.
    May 2015 £10 a day currently £208
  • Jenna_AppleseedJenna_Appleseed Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    listen to singles & albums on streaming sites like we7, spotify and NME.com instead of buying them.
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • southendsouthend Forumite
    105 Posts
    listen to singles & albums on streaming sites like we7, spotify and NME.com instead of buying them.

I agree. I am tight when i make a cuppa. I have a large flask, boil kettle and fill it up. Whe i want tea/ coffee etc, pour it from that
  • LilAmbarLilAmbar Forumite
    16 Posts
    southend wrote: »
    I agree. I am tight when i make a cuppa. I have a large flask, boil kettle and fill it up. Whe i want tea/ coffee etc, pour it from that

I'm even tighter - don't boil the kettle in the morning, get your first cup of tea/coffee when you get to work!
    Lil
    Mortgage 08/10 £102615.04
    Student Loan free Dec 2013

• TrinnyTrinny Forumite
    625 Posts
    Hi There

1. Use exactly half of what you would normally use for everything, creams and lotions, washing up liquid, washing powder, perfume etc etc

2. Dilute where you can - shampoo, bath foam

3. Buy one of those foam soap hand dispensers, refill with whatever cheap liquid soap you have and water it down by 2/3 so that the consistency is right

4. Forage - including windfall apples, blackberrys, elderberrys, nuts, nettles for a good spinach substitute - the Richard Mabey food for free book is excellent for novices

5. Turn off the heating a little earlier, and turn the thermostat down

6. Give up tumble dryers and fabric softener. dry in the air or over the bath

7. Fold dont iron - it works for a lot of clothing

8. Use vouchers - two for one when eating out, money off coupons

9. Get a freecycle slow cooker, bread maker etc, and on the subject, freecycle is great for large white goods, and smaller items

10. Car share - use the tips on here to drive economically and walk all short distances

11. Reduced to clear sections of supermarkets at the right time of day!

12. Join a MSE challenge so you start saving £2 or cutting your grocery budget, or stop buying toiletries until your stash is used up

13. Buy clothing from charity shops in well off areas - make a point of going in regularly, not at the weekend, when most of the good stuff has already gone. People give away clothing that still has the shop tag on it sometimes - ive done well on M&S clothes this way

14. Bargain recipes - check out OS - where you can learn from the experts how to cook, bake, ( take it from a fledgeling cook)

15. Keep a storecupboard inventry and freezer inventry, menu plan and only buy what you need to complete a meal.

HTH

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • givememoneygivememoney Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    We've been drink lager with best by date September 2009.

My husband did think maybe we should chuck it but I said it would be alright...and it is!
  • BEAT_THE_DEBTBEAT_THE_DEBT Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you cant pay cash put it back!!
  • Buy your clothes on ebay - have been surprised at how many BNWT items for sale - I hardly ever go round the shops now. Just buy from ebay when I NEED something - not when I just want something. Stops impulse spending and saves money by not using petrol to get to the shops. Gives me time at the weekend to cook from scratch rather than relying on ready meals after work in the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals