Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 539.6K views

Replies

• givememoneygivememoney Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Buy your clothes on ebay - have been surprised at how many BNWT items for sale - I hardly ever go round the shops now. Just buy from ebay when I NEED something - not when I just want something. Stops impulse spending and saves money by not using petrol to get to the shops. Gives me time at the weekend to cook from scratch rather than relying on ready meals after work in the week.

I am with you on this one.

I traipsed round Lakeside last week trying to get a few clothes. As I hate clothes shopping I leave it and try to buy a few bits at once. It never seems to work.

I bought a t-shirt I didn't like when I got it home. A skirt and wide fitting shoes from Marks which I did like and a top from BHS which I liked.

I am a mature lady and trying to find something suitable is a mission.

I have decided to stick to buying from catalogues plus ebay as you say save the shoe leather and petrol, plus the lunch out. You can order on-line and send back via the courier if you don't like them.
  • Iona_Penny wrote: »
    Use Bold liquid detergent. For daily laundry use half the recommended amount in the ball-goes twice as far and you don't need fabric softener. For dirtier stuff up the amount.

Only wash clothes on a 40 degree wash - I do everything on this except bedding and towels which I do on a 50 degree. I personally think peole get a bit precious about the soap powder they use and having 20something programmes to choose from and feeling they have to 'boil wash' whites!
    Although...my dad is a washing machine repair man and he NEVER uses liquid detergant and won't let us either. He said it coats the inside of your machine in a sludge that gets thicker and thicker until eventually your drum won't spin. He has lots of calls about this. Just thought you'd like to know that, as if that does happen it's not cheap to get it sorted out.
  • I am with you on this one.

I traipsed round Lakeside last week trying to get a few clothes. As I hate clothes shopping I leave it and try to buy a few bits at once. It never seems to work.

I bought a t-shirt I didn't like when I got it home. A skirt and wide fitting shoes from Marks which I did like and a top from BHS which I liked.

I am a mature lady and trying to find something suitable is a mission.

I have decided to stick to buying from catalogues plus ebay as you say save the shoe leather and petrol, plus the lunch out. You can order on-line and send back via the courier if you don't like them.
    also saves on blooming car-parking. £3 for 2 hours!!:mad:
  • a.j.m_2a.j.m_2 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Sorry if this has been said before - Instead of buying special doggy poop scoop bags that are usually quite expensive, (around £1 for 50?) buy nappy bags, they are around 20p for 100 in Tesco, and also fragranced too.
  • I haven't read all this so I apologise if this has been mentioned already...

Join Freecycle... great for getting rid of stuff you don't need, and getting stuff you DO need for free!

Great idea, never heard of this site before now and there's plenty of stuff on there that I genuinely need! :dance:
  • KittyBoo_2KittyBoo_2 Forumite
    676 Posts
    a.j.m wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been said before - Instead of buying special doggy poop scoop bags that are usually quite expensive, (around £1 for 50?) buy nappy bags, they are around 20p for 100 in Tesco, and also fragranced too.
    I used to get a few of those plastic bags they have on the fruit and veg counters to "secure" my salad etc.
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • I know its been said before, but take your weekly money out in cash, and once its gone its gone, and you can't be tempted to spend that extra £30 on stuff you really don't need in hte supermarket when you've just popped in for milk on your way home from work XXX:)
    Paid of 7K in 6mths. :T Still a long way to go.
    Love being a Mummy and Wife (does that make me old fashioned, if so I don't care :D)
  • in case it's not been said...dilute your washing up liquid, it's concentrated anyway.

For greasy pans or for burned on food, use the excess boiled water from your kettle to loosen it, and then rely on elbow grease!

My grandpa used to put any hot water left from the kettle into a thermos flask and save it for the washing up later.

xxx
    Disgruntled saver (hating low interest rates) who LOVES a good survey and a freebie!

:snow_laug
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Forumite
    48 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A teaspoon of bicaronate of soda into boiling water in a pan will easily lift any burnt on food and dissolve grease.

Soda powder great for making washing powder go further. Also good for cleaning sinks, unblocking drains, etc.
  • Luke wrote: »
    I am a sucker for Volvic flavoured water. But have just started to do this. I still buy about one bottle (1.5L) a week but better than three. About a £2 saving per week.

Top tip, when you are chilling your tap water, put some fruit or something into the water to add flavour. In summer I tend to put some cucumber in a jug of water and the next day it is rather refreshing in the sun ^_^
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News