Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 539.6K views

Replies

• BambywambyBambywamby Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    nancypearl wrote: »
    I went to one of those cheap european supermarkets once....... obviously I didn't recognise any brandnames so I wasn't prepared to spend any money on things if I didn't know if I would like them, because if i didn't like the food then I wouldn't eat it. However, I suppose once you get used to non-Heinz and non-Kelloggs products then that'll be ok. You do get what you pay for food-wise. The premium ranges of foods in supermarkets are what the food should taste like. Tomatoes in Sainsbury's are almost £2 a punnet, but they are actually ripe and taste like tomatoes. The budget range are underripe and hard. Duchy dry cure bacon vs the danish watery stuff. No competition.M&S oven chips and frozen sweetcorn are the best you will ever taste. Once you have had the best, it's a no-brainer.
    I do eat food from the cheap european supermarkets when I go to visit my relations. I eat what they eat. And it doesn't taste as nice. Fact.

If you wash supermarket tomatoes and then leave them on the windowsill rather than put them in the fridge they continue to ripen and after a couple of days taste really sweet...more like the pricey ones. x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaverwouldbeqaulitymoneysaver Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Become a Cook, get reliable, dependable recipes, from cooks of genuine authority, great ingredients, storage and we are ready to roll?
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Conduct life online, saves on going out but do social activities online? Same thing only at home? Just remember to balance life with offline as well?
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baby Wipes are a Domestic Divas' best friend, you can wipe everything from computer to shelves with them!!! oh and I forget yourself!!!
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have good taste, bad taste never helped anyone. May seen snobbish, extravagant and controversial but if you know where to nab good stuff you can nab it as bargains. I have got Joseph, Burberry, Silk Shirts etc as a result of knowing my Labels etc and of course what suits me so I don't look as mutton dressed up as lamb.
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    *My angle Wear Poverty like an aristocrat* quite frankly if I am gonna be dirt poor I might as well conduct myself like the filthy rich.
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make your own bread in bread machine. Foolproof bread recipe ie 500g of organic flour, 1tsp each of raw cane sugar and salt (sea salt for taste) 200ml of water, and sachet of yeast.liquid first, bung in flour make 4 corners bung in the above in their separate pockets, switch on decent machine, put on dough setting and et voila. Just bung on egg wash and or seeds oat flakes etc and bung in oven for 30 mins, cool down on tin and then slice. Costs may be the same BUT the homemade loaf is more substantial meaning cost savings. NB Always leave room for decent shop brought stuff as it is nice, you can have both!!
  • When you think you need to food shop - don't for 24 hours - you can usually manage to produce one more meral from the store cupboard at that point.
  • kiss_me_now9kiss_me_now9 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    This has already probably been said but - beef out your meals with veg if you're a meat eater. Made a spag bol the other day, with only half a pack of mince (admittedly, a big pack of it and 20% lean or something as my parents bought it) and I've got two meals out of it so far, and another three containers of it to use for jacket pots./more spag. bol/the half of squash I had left over from my soup making. Managed this because I put a large amount of peppers in it, which is great as I am a pepper fiend!
  • FiremunchkinFiremunchkin Forumite
    279 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I did start to read this forum thread from the beginning, but then noticed it started back in 2005 (!) and was 43 pages long so just jumped to the end. So if these are repeats, please forgive me! Also, my tips are mostly London based.

Charity shopping - good ones are in South Woodford, Balham, Clapham and West Hampstead. Good value shops with good quality and frequently changing stuff. Also look out for designer items which are at a good price - they can be sold on Ebay for a profit (once bought a 99p Karen Millen kaftan which had a mark on it, washed it and made £15!)

meat - buy meat at Smithfields market. It's a very early start but totally worth it (i.e. 5kg of chicken breasts which don't shrink when cooked - £20, we save an absolute fortune every month)

fish - go to Billingsgate for fish - better quality and 1/5th of the price of supermarkets. Although I warn you in advance of the language!

veg - local markets, or get an organic veg box delivered - higher quality stuff from local farms for less than the supermarkets

never buy anything full price - ALWAYS wait for sales or special offers. There is very rarely anything you need so desperately that you can't wait a bit longer for it.

Moneysavingexpert - check for vouchers for everything you want to buy

Cashback - for anything you want to buy, do it online, compare prices and use a cashback site - this year I've had £250 back.

Surveys - try and get onto Pinecone or MyVoice as preference but any others will do, I've had 3 x £20 vouchers this year

Ebay - sell stuff you don't need, loads of cash to be made - but for goodness sake make sure the photo looks attractive to potential buyers.

Faulty clothes - there's a button missing, or a small tear somewhere inconspicuous, haggle for money off if you think you or someone you know can fix it.

Energy efficiency - all the usual stuff, and making your own draught excluders or curtains for that draughty back door is easy and fun. If you have an open chimney consider a chimney balloon, they're around £20 but save an enormous amount of heat. Foil behind the radiators means more heat goes into the room rather than the wall. Lastly on heating - try a small portable electric heater, cost around 20p an hour on full to heat up a room plus you can have it on only when you need it.

Food - challenge yourself to not throw away any food each month, if you do - count it as money. There's a challenge forum on this site which is great inspiration. Do an inventory of your fridge/freezer/cupboards and organise yourself to use up what's near it's end, and ignore best befores or use bys. If smells ok and looks ok then it probably is ok. PLAN meals in advance for the week ahead, you'll find you use up more that you've got, spend less and enjoy more. Make meals at home to take to work - better for you most of the time anyway. If you have to do a big shop (i.e. over £40) then write a list (after planning your meals for the week) and do the shop online (after using the mysupermarket comparison site!) - you won't get tempted by the marketing ploys instore and it saves you time too.

Clothes - look AFTER them. The longer they last, the fewer you'll have to buy. And, the better condition they're in, the more you can sell on Ebay. You can't fit into those jeans? Go on a diet, you'll save money on food and you won't have to buy new clothes. If you fancy new stuff, organise a swapshop with friends (with rules, google swapshop and find some ideas).

Don't have a bath unless there's someone who doesn't mind jumping in after you - otherwise it's a massive cost of heating and water.

Flowers - Columbia Road Flower Market on a Sunday, go after 2pm when they're closing up and selling cheaper, better still sometimes they chuck stuff out that isn't going to last more than a few days on the stalls but in your lounge it will last a week with a bit of food. Also, reduced flowers in the supermarkets can be easily make to look nicer with a bit of trimming and last at least a week or two - blooming lovely!

Lavender - if you know someone who has lavender bushes they will have to trim them regularly so ask them what they do with the cuttings. It's not too hard to make lavender bags for your drawers or even as gifts using remants from haberdasheries (which are very cheap to buy).

Make sure you use everything in the bottle/tub, squeeze out every last drop. With shampoo/moisturisers, cut it open with scissors and scoop out the remains with your fingers, then replace the cut-off top to keep the contents from drying out.

Piggybanking WORKS, we have a Fun Fund, an Xmas fund, a car fund.

Making presents - people are often more appreciative with a gift you've made (as long as it's a goodun, and not like something a 2 year old might have made) so look out for fun photo frames in the charity shops and put a pic of the two of you together in it, just as an idea…you can also make candles out of vintage tea cups, or scented candles, cushion covers etc etc...

keep old water bottles. Fill them with water from tap. Put in fridge before you need to use it. Saves a bomb and tastes the same.

When going on a long car journey - make sure you fill up with the cheapest petrol you can find first (we have a garage selling at 15p less per litre than the ones in the service stations on the motorway) and take along some homemade sarnies or snacks, and those refilled water bottles for the ride. You'll save a fortune compared to the service stations where it's easy to spend £15-£20 in one go.

Loyalty cards - Tesco points = Airmiles = free flights (except for taxes now, boo!), Sainsburys nectar = hotels & flights, kids days out, Boots points = Xmas presents, emergency chocolate or a birthday present to yourself.

Direct Debits - have a separate account for these. Keeping your spending cash and bills cash separate means you never default on things and don't have to worry about them.

Budget spreadsheet - make a spreadsheet which you regularly update and check your direct debits against this each month. It will tell you how much you should have leftover to spend after bills are paid, and if you share bills/rent with a partner you can design the spreadsheet so that you know how much each pays for what bills etc and therefore how much the other should give to you to square up. Once created it makes life much easier to organise. Been using mine for 10 years now, never going back.

Toptable - use this to make restaurant bookings, and make sure you do the review to get your 200 points. Added up this gives free meals. I've got 1800 now, am saving up 4000 so the OH and I can get a free meal somewhere posh.

Mob-deals - beware of these daily mob-deal websites. They do appear to be good value but check reviews first. Sometimes it can mean £40 down the drain cos the place is rubbish but you didn't know. And don't be drawn in by the 'bargain' massage cost, do you really need a massage/IPL/mani/pedi etc? However, it's great for haircuts - got a £20 haircut and blowdry this weekend at a well reviewed hair salon in town.

TFL & National Rail - are subject to Customer Charters. TFL must give you a refund on any journey which is delayed by more than 15 minutes, by 30 minutes on overground and by an hour on the trains. The online refund form isn't easy to find (see link below) but I get around £50-£60 back a year for journies where they've made me late to work!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/refunds/tuberefund/

£2 coins - we have a £2 coin rule. If you get it in change, it has to go in the pig (that I got in the charity shop for a few quid). The pig has since given us over £100 in savings.

Washing clothes - if you live in a house-share and you all split the bills, try and encourage your fellow sharers to share washing loads if you don't quite have a full load. Plus, you'll both save on detergent.

Re: not having a TV so not watching ads - if you have Sky+ then you never have to watch ads anyway. Small price to pay!

FREECYCLE!!

Pets - Zooplus is a great great online store for pet stuff. They do rewards, 10% off for new customers, free delivery and an amazing range at excellent excellent prices. I promise I don't work for them! But our kitty has never been happier with the litter and food we get her. She gets organic, yes, ORGANIC, almost 100% meat food. Better than the only 15% meat stuff you get in the overpriced supermarket.

Phew! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides