We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

Options

Comments

• mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Munki wrote:
    Ultimate way of saving money - Move to a cheaper country... I hear Spain is quite cheap... and Romania... :-)

Let's be honest, we're ripped off in this country... even when we money-save our little a**es off, we're still being ripped off. I doubt you see many other moneysaving websites like this one in other countries.

My sister, brother-in-law, niece & nethew are moving to Australia because they simply can't afford to live here any more (plus they want a decent climate)... so I think we should all uproot and emigrate :-)

Munki.

I know this is a really old quote, and i'm sorry - but I used to think like this too... then we emigrated! :rotfl: OK, we're in NZ, not Australia, but honestly, trust me, the uk is CHEAP!!

I'd give anything to be able to have somewhere like Lidls to do my shopping! (well, maybe not anything, i won't be moving back! ha ha). Just thought it might make you all feel a little better!

Still loving this site though, and finding it useful :T
  • RedSpecs
    RedSpecs Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Luis wrote:
    Register with Cinecheck.com for 'assignments' to see new films for free and get paid!

I got really excited when I read this :T , but sadly Cinecheck are closing down. Shame :mad:
    Live better on less :beer:
  • rubix_76
    rubix_76 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    oueyouey wrote:
    Also in Boots if you are a member of the parenting club and put your advantage card in the machine before you make your purchase you can print off a voucher so that you can get 12 points per £1 spent on nappies etc

Also you can get a huggies changing bag worth £25 for FREE if you are a member of the boots club, which is VERY handy.

I am told that Boots own brand nappies are made by huggies, and Tescos are made by pampers.

Recently Tescos (and I think Boots) were doing a BOGOF on huggies nappy wipes, so of course we have a whole cupboard full of them now !!!

My DW signed up for most companies for cheap/free stuff so you get vouchers, and I have too, then we get two lots. As most are on-line and not seen by a person, nobody will realise in most cases, and if they want our business, then they can give us plenty of free/cheaper stuff.

I know you may get some junk mail, but this is a small price to pay for all the stuff you are likely to get, and lets face it when it comes to the expense of children you want ALL the help you can get.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • La_Tristesse_Durera
    Options
    Something I 'discovered' tonight.

I'm trying to stop smoking, and now I've just decorated my house I always smoke outside now, which makes me smoke less anyway... and to further that I was having a ciggie in the adverts of something, and as they were short ads I only smoked half and left the other half till the end of the programme! Ok it's not a great tip... but it's something! :)
    £2 Coin Savings = £0.23:confused:
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Options
    Something I 'discovered' tonight.

I'm trying to stop smoking, and now I've just decorated my house I always smoke outside now, which makes me smoke less anyway... and to further that I was having a ciggie in the adverts of something, and as they were short ads I only smoked half and left the other half till the end of the programme! Ok it's not a great tip... but it's something! :)

Well done though! Anything to cut back/help you quit. :T
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Iwantahouse_2
    Options
    If you are growing plants/veg from seed use plastic containers from store bought cakes etc instead of propogators
    Car £1500
    Parents £5000
    Barclaycard £900.68
    + 127,000 Mortgage :eek:
    all on my lonesome
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all first post here

First THANKS TO JOLLY NOLLY MY POUND SIGNS WORK NOW!!!!!!!

Why not get back to basics to save some money??

How about sitting next to a warm batha adding some washing powder adn scrubbign your own clothes by hand, have a half filled bucket next to you to rinse suds with and then use your sink to put damp laundry in until its time to hang clothes out?? no water on the floor and clean washing - plus if you have a little battery powered radio or a cd player you can bop along at the same time.

why not make your own baby food?? much cheaper than buying food in the jars form supermarkets. 30 - 40p a jar when for 40p you can get a load of carrots and brocolli etc. Plus healthier for your little one too as you know what goes into it and there is so many additives.

Use bi carb of soda to clean bathroom tiles, sinks, baths and toilets. Easy to clean and harmless to babies and animals rather than nasty chemicals

shop car boot sales and charity shops for Xmas presents - no one will ever know if you make a good enough job with the wrapping.

Get arty and make some of you r gifts to give at Xmas or on special occassions. Make you own cards and gift tags - they take 2 seconds adn a bit of artistic flair adds the personal touch.

Open an extra bank account - i have 3. one for my wages to be paid into. one fo rbenefits to be paid into, and one for my savings. My son also has 2 , one for his trust fund and one as his savings account.

Any spare change - put it in a piggy bank and leave it - you'll be surprise dhow much you can gather up in there - My 2 year old already has £43 as a result of family members giving them their change!

Spent time outside instead of goign to the cinema, watchign TV, renting films. - why not go for a walk or bike ride together, sit and read a book, get a penpal and write letters etc.

Join saving schemes to help save for things. Get cards, stamp collecting books, sve tokens, coupon clip, collect vouchers etc
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • FiBe_3
    FiBe_3 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Have a separate bill account, set up direct debits for all (or as many as possible) your bills and arrange a standing order for the total bill amount, for the day after your wages get paid into your current account. This means that you won't have to worry about paying your bills as they will be taken care of and any money you have left is for you to do with as you wish.

If you live in a hard water area, use soda crystals in your washing machine, do a maintenance wash every so often and don't put fabric softener in your drawer as it clogs it up.

Take advantage of Wilkinsons and Home Bargains. They have well known (and value) brands at much lower prices than supermarkets do.

As everyone else has mentioned go to Aldi/Lidl/Nettos as they are much cheaper. Although I would recommend Tesco's for petrol and then you can also still take advantage of the club card points.

Use the cost comparison sites to research any products you want so you know you are getting the best value.
    HSBC Unsecured Loan current total £11,921, Amazon Credit Card £355 (will be cleared in March 2009)
    Challenges 2009: Overpay mortgage by £9.00 per month at least, Save £30 per month, Win: 1. Nice Laptop 2. Nintendo DS 3. Holiday to New York or San Francisco, 10p/20p Challenge
  • yuki132
    yuki132 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Don't buy ANYTHING 'new' (except food and underwear!)

This is the main one to stick with! But it's so difficult!

If you HAVE to go shopping take a list of what you need and stick to it - then go straight home .... dont get distracted and buy something you dont need!! Thats what I try and do all the time now and it seems to work.

:j
  • Richie23_2
    Richie23_2 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    Dont know if anyone has said this but..
    Change your shopping day everyweek.. so if you normally shop on a monday the next week shop on tuesday and then the next Wednesday and so on.. you'll notice your adding an extra day before you go shopping and making your food last longer!

Hope that makes sense!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure