🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hourly rate for domestic cleaner?

Options

Comments

• arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 January 2011 at 9:31AM
    Options
    hi all,
    thought id tell you about my job. i work 2 days per week as a housekeeper for a very very well known VIP who pays me 8 pounds an hour and is very flexible. (plus the references are very useful) and i also do private houses which are charged at 10 pounds per hour as i supply my own cloths and cleaning materials and vac, this is very popular as the clients havent got to rush out when the claeaners due tto buy all the stuff themselves. i dont advertise and am very picky on who i clean for as i dont do dirty houses.
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    oh my god i'm putting my rate up .... I have been self employed cleaning for 7 years and charged £5 per hour up until this May and felt awful when I put it up to £6 ..... I live in Kent . SE kent

the minimum wage is £5.35, so a fiver an hour wasn't enough!

keely.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • TITEASCRAMP
    TITEASCRAMP Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    Options
    Would anyone know the average hourly rate for a house keeper/ cleaner in the North West?
    Thankyou
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suggest you put an ad in the post office or local shop window, and take it from there if you want someone local, or ask around any of your friends who have a 'lady who does'. Between £8 and £10 per hour seems to be normal.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't let her undervalue herself - a good, reliable, trustworthy cleaner is worth a good wage!

She needs to take account of all the costs involved. If she takes her own equipment and materials, allow for replacement/repair costs above her earnings - and the price for an insurance policy. Allow for the cost of travelling between jobs - in my area most cleaners do a minimum of two hours in a house to reduce the "dead" time spent travelling between jobs.
  • TITEASCRAMP
    TITEASCRAMP Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.:beer:
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my mum pays £10 an hour -
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get £10 per hour. I love to do the nitty gritty cleaning jobs, like skirting boards, scummy showers - you should see my cleaning cloths they are filthy. What I hate doing is huge houses, just dusting and hoovering when you can see that it is the paintwork and general grime that really needs cleaning. Anyone can push a hoover around and do the dusting. I also love love doing windows.

That is what the customer wants though, you have to do it. Most of the houses I clean are absolute chaos and I am generally cleaning around piles of clothes, books, papers etc. They could definitely do with the Flylady system, but I never suggest it as I don't want to do myself out of a job! Busy mums are more grateful for anything you do than pernickity ladies of lesiure. Yeah aim for £10 and provide a really thorough service.

some cleaners think cleaning a toilet involves shoving a bit of bleach down and half heartedly swishing a brush around. I get right round the back and do the sides etc.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »
    I get £10 per hour. I love to do the nitty gritty cleaning jobs, like skirting boards, scummy showers - you should see my cleaning cloths they are filthy. What I hate doing is huge houses, just dusting and hoovering when you can see that it is the paintwork and general grime that really needs cleaning. Anyone can push a hoover around and do the dusting. I also love love doing windows.

That is what the customer wants though, you have to do it. Most of the houses I clean are absolute chaos and I am generally cleaning around piles of clothes, books, papers etc. They could definitely do with the Flylady system, but I never suggest it as I don't want to do myself out of a job! Busy mums are more grateful for anything you do than pernickity ladies of lesiure. Yeah aim for £10 and provide a really thorough service.

some cleaners think cleaning a toilet involves shoving a bit of bleach down and half heartedly swishing a brush around. I get right round the back and do the sides etc.
    Larmy .... where are you? .... I need you in my house ASAP! :D:D
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »

I need to know where you are too, I just had to get rid of my cleaner as she was great to start with (in Nov), but now seems to feel waving the bleach and hoover around is enough. Suppost to be here for 3 hours while we are at work, but once the three of us start talking about it we are lucky if she is here 2 hours. There's no point if I need to do it myself afterwards as I can't be sure exactly what was done so need to do it all! (and I'm really not that fussy normally, which is even worse, if she's not even meeting my standard then that's pretty low!).

We used to always tidy (but not clean) for our lady - but then once you have tidied - it's half of the job really, so I question the worth (no comments on my untidyness please!). Although I'm 2 weeks without her, and wouldn't really mind but I'm the one left to do all the cleaning - so the only person affected by her absence is me - and we (DH,DS(age19) & me) all work full time)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport