PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    I got one of those too.
    I want to use it to save the £15 but it blows my budget totally.
    Hmmmmmm............................................

I got a 12.00 one but used it for Xmas stuff so didnt come out of grocery budget, well not all anyway.
    Slimming World at target
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    I got a 12.00 one but used it for Xmas stuff so didnt come out of grocery budget, well not all anyway.

:T
    Fab idea.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,953 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Flo glad your scan was normal, its just a thought love but I am thinking you have such a healthy diet and you`ve had such a hectic couple of months could it be that you are burning up more calories than you usually do. Hoping it could be as simple as this.
    Mr F has suggested that to me. I am back off to see the Doctor today. My eldest DD is a Consultant Clinical Oncologist - I have spoken to her. Dr DD thinks I should have investigations.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 0/3
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £58.56/£100 NSD - 81
    2024 Craft Makes - 209 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a recipe please?

Ingredients

1 Onion
    1 Medium carrot
    2 Cloves of garlic
    1 Medium potato
    1 Medium tomato
    1 cup of red lentils
    1 tin of butterbeans
    2 tbsp Olive Oil
    1 tbsp Tomato Puree
    1 tbsp Paprika
    1 tsp Allspice, Ground Coriander, Parsley, sugar/honey
    1/2 tsp Chilli flakes, tarragon, rosemary, sea salt
    2 chicken/veg stock cube
    Dash of lemon juice
    water to cover

Finely dice all vegetables, chop tomato into large chunks
    Fry onion and carrot in olive oil in a saucepan, on low heat, with a tight fitting lid for 15-20 minutes
    Add all other ingredients besides water, to a casserole dish or into the same pan as the onions and carrots if you used a big pan anyway.
    Stir paprika into onion and carrot mixture, add to casserole
    Add water to just cover everything
    Cook at 170 C for 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally or on the hob simmering for 40 minutes.
    Add extra water if casserole is dry and serve with rice.

There is lots of spices but that's why my cupboard always look full as I seem to have 1 of each! The only thing I missed was tarragon but it's still delicious.

I used extra carrots and used sweet potatoes and 1 white as they needed using up and a handful of halved cherry tomatoes as I didn't have any big ones.

Hope you can make something delicious :)

RC X
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a recipe please?

Ingredients

1 Onion
    1 Medium carrot
    2 Cloves of garlic
    1 Medium potato
    1 Medium tomato
    1 cup of red lentils
    1 tin of butterbeans
    2 tbsp Olive Oil
    1 tbsp Tomato Puree
    1 tbsp Paprika
    2 chicken/veg stock cube
    Dash of lemon juice
    water to cover

Fry onion and carrot in olive oil in a saucepan, on low heat, with a tight fitting lid for 15-20 minutes
    Add all other ingredients besides water, to a casserole dish or into the same pan as the onions and carrots if you used a big pan anyway.
    Cook at 170 C for 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally or on the hob simmering for 40 minutes.

There is lots of spices but that's why my cupboard always look full as I seem to have 1 of each! The only thing I missed was tarragon but it's still delicious.

I used extra carrots and used sweet potatoes and 1 white as they needed using up and a handful of halved cherry tomatoes as I didn't have any big ones.

RC X
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Ingredients

1 Onion
    1 Medium carrot
    2 Cloves of garlic
    1 Medium potato
    1 Medium tomato
    1 cup of red lentils
    1 tin of butterbeans
    2 tbsp Olive Oil
    1 tbsp Tomato Puree
    1 tbsp Paprika
    2 chicken/veg stock cube
    Dash of lemon juice
    water to cover

RC X

Much appreciated. I have most of those ingredients, i think apart from all spice. I'll let you know how it goes, might try this today. Do you think it would work in the slow cooker, or not?
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • sachatith
    Options
    Thanks MissRikki I may use that one as well :)

NSD yesterday which brings me up to 14/20 which I am really pleased about. Finished up the roast pork from Sunday with mash last night (nom nom) and then some in a quick and easy curry which I now tend to make each time I have leftover meat, which will do me for today and tomorrow for lunch.

Salmon (bought Mr T value and separated and froze so does more dinners) and new potatoes tonight.

Really need to get through the rest of my stocktake, I've done bits of it and my aim was to take one cupboard at a time but never mind! Think I am going to write it down as I find that a lot easier as me and OH can then cross items off when we use them.

Love x
    Debt Free by 2015: £5839.01/£13000 1% challenge = 44.91%
    CAMRA Member: Drinking Ale doesn't make me any less of a woman :beer:
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    morning all
    have to say again Jo's carrot and sweet potato is delish, did it friday night, and we had guests over sunday lunch so did it again as a starter, everyone loved it.

did leek and potato soup for tea last night havent decided what tonight will be.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • dramarama
    Options
    Morning all,
    Hope you're all well. Nipped to Mr T's yesterday with a list, hoped to spend £10 came in at £14.
    I have learnt a lot of lessons from this month's GC, number one being I need to sharpen my elbows and get a few more YS bargains to stretch our budget.
    Hoping for a NSD today and looking for work...part time hours are not enough at the moment. HM sausage and mash tonight, meat for OH veg for me. I've meal planned for the rest of the week and am hoping to get to the end of the month with very little spends.

OH joked we should buy a cow as it would be cheaper than the amount we pay out on milk per week! :rotfl:
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017
    :):):)
    Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    ;)
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    morning all
    have to say again Jo's carrot and sweet potato is delish, did it friday night, and we had guests over sunday lunch so did it again as a starter, everyone loved it.

did leek and potato soup for tea last night havent decided what tonight will be.

I would love to be able to take the credit for this... I agree it's fab and something I will definitely make again! Alas, I found the recipe on this thread..

To all the newbies like me... The tools at the beginning of this thread are fab. If you have the time, go through the recipes of things you like the sound of, or like me, you have something that needs using up! Most are super easy and I found personally I already had most (or all) of the other ingredients at home. Before now though I wouldn't have out that recipe together. It does give you a new perspective and ultimately saves money :)
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family