PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Spend of £3.82 but more to add when I sort out receipts.
    Not posted photos for a few days - hectic here with the house renovations.
    I am still losing weight - had ultrasound - normal.
    This was a dinner that I did photograph - roast potatoes/parsnip + HM chicken pie + roasted beetroot, red onion, red pepper, tomato.

Thursdaysdinner_zpsb7b539ff.jpg
    yum......as always lookslovely. doyou coat your veg in oil before roasting they look lovely and juicy
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Popped in Mr S to get some four finger kitkats on offer to make Christmas sleighs (wont include them in GS as they come of Christmas budget) whilst I was there I got some YS hollandaise sauce and small sponge puddings spend 2.90. I am now feeling annoyed with myself I didn't need the puddings I can make my own but I wanted the plastic containers so I can re-use to freeze some HM ones in but in hindsight sure I could have found something cheaper to use.

Makes my spend 2.90/35 week (2.90 food, 0.00 other) 92.72/140 mth

Will see mr T tomorrow for main shop

This weeks meal plan is

Monday - beef stew (LO from l/w) yorkshire pud, bread - sponge pudding
    Tuesday - chicken fajitas (chicken LO from l/w) - rubbard and custard
    Wednesday - chicken curry (LO from l/w) egg fried rice (eggs need using :o)
    Thurs - Sausage muffin, wedges, peas. - lemon pud
    Friday - Jacket pots, prawns, crab stick, HM mayo, salad
    Saturday - Not sure
    Sunday - HM pizza, HM coleslaw, onion rings

I don't need much for above as have most things so hoping for a low spend. I will start to separate my spends, my GC budget includes all toiletries etc but I will work these out separate so I can see where most of the money is going. £35 per week should be plenty for two of us just need to see where I am going wrong (probably things like spending on sponge puddings I didn't need :mad:)
  • MoonJelly
    Options
    aliwali wrote: »
    Hi, how much are you buying? A months worth or more than that. I guess you need to work out how any meals worth of meat you are buying and work it out that way. Alternatively you could work out the £/kg and when you have your meal plan work out how much you have spent on meat and take that off the weekly budget.

We buy in bulk from Costco and a food co-operative and I have a separate budget for that which I wait until there is enough in the pot to do a shop with them.

Hopefully others may have different suggestions that may be easier to work with.
    I didn't think about working out how many meals I'm buying.;)
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    38p spent on a block of cheese and a loaf. Cheap because I used £2.50 worth of nectar points. Also picked up a nectar card for DH as he works next to a mr s and uses them for diesel.

This will be my last spend as my GC ends on Thursday night. If we need anything else we will just have to starve;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • lovefullshelves
    Options
    Last of the big spenders, £2 on eggs from down the road!
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    June 23 - 9NSD
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,953 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    yum......as always lookslovely. doyou coat your veg in oil before roasting they look lovely and juicy
    I toss the veg in a mix of balsamic vinegar and oil before roasting.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 0/3
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £58.56/£100 NSD - 81
    2024 Craft Makes - 209 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    thank-you shall do this next time
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Hope you all had a good Monday considering!

I've decided to take out spends such as coffees and fast foods from my Grocery budget and instead have a small budget for those luxuries in cash. Then when it's gone it's gone.
    This weekend I was at Uni and so absolutely everything was shop bought and expensive! I shall start in October after tallying my 'Luxury food spends' and try and keep to then reduce my budget for this over the next few months.

I've bulk cooked tonight and made lentil and butter bean casserole which is blooming delicious and quorn chilli with added lentils to bulk it up (Thanks MS's for recommending this!). I got 10 portions in total! :D

Looking forward to next month already....

RC x
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • Pandora_2
    Options
    Just a mini spend today of 73p on some YS milk and YS rhubarb :)
    Oh I do love rhubarb crumble!! :drool: I definitely need to look into growing my own as it's far too expensive to buy!!

Didn't spend anything over the weekend, and tomorrow should be a GC NSD but won't be a true NSD as I'm dipping into my fun budget to meet up with my best friend who is recovering from surgery and we're having a cheeky beer or 2 now he's well enough! :beer:

Received a voucher for £15 off a £60 online shop at Mr T's so need to do some very careful meal planning so I can make the most of it. Will also mean I can stock up on cat litter and food (separate budget) which is good as it's sooooooo heavy to carry home from the shops! The delivery man always looks at me like I'm insane when I've ordered 10 bags of cat litter and 20 boxes of cat food and then realises I only have 1 cat!! :rotfl: And of course there's the million bottles of white vinegar......:D
    :ADFW Nerd 145:A
    LBM - June 2006 - DEBTS - £19,261.08 :eek:
    Nov 2017 - £10,644.92!!
    Debt free date - 13/08/2022 - the day before I turn 40!!!!! :beer:
    Grocery Challenge - Dec 2017 £30.63/£150
  • Peggybabcot
    Options
    Went for a mooch around The Range today. My first time ever. It is my new fave shop :) I could literally have spent thousands in there on "want" but came out having spent £1 on "need" (400g of dates for a cake I'd planned on baking). Before we went out I popped some leftover lamb in the slow cooker and some veg so no faffing around tonight and more time to bake my date & walnut cake. All I had to do was pop some hassleback potatoes in the oven so easy dinner tonight. I need to pop to Aldi tomorrow for a few bits but might make this my weekly shop day and stock up on next weeks essentials too as the more times I go the more I spend! I have friends coming over on Wednesday for coffee and cake so need to bake tomorrow at some point but luckily I have all the ingredients in. Hoping my Aldi shop comes in under £70 as DD is costing me a fortune. She's just changed from the 6th form 100 yards down the road to college 4 miles away so having to pay bus fare every day is adding over £40 PCM to my costs as well as all her books, art materials etc. Thankfully I start back work in November so hopefully if I have a business to go back to after 9 months off we may have some extra money coming in at long last x
    Grocery challenge June 2016
    £500/£516.04
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £500/£503.73
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business