PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lovefullshelves
    Options
    2 quid on milk, 2 quid on bread!! And alot of HM soup!!
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    June 23 - 9NSD
  • Spent another £18 in Tesco today, used up a few coupons for things I would buy anyway. That should be it for the week except some chicken breast for a meal my au pair is going to cook for us. (And I find it quite strange that she has NEVER ever cooked with chicken that didn't come in a plastic tray, without bone, skin etc. She'll get used to it soon.)

We are well stocked as usual so I will try to make my resistance last till Fri/Sat and stay out of the supermarkets till then. I think we now stand at around £145 for Sep, but that incorporates a bit of forward planning as I start back at med school tomorrow, so have tried to menu plan so it doesn't all go tilt and we end up with quick but expensive meals.

Made broccoli soup for a first course for our Sunday dinner today, using up the stalk and a few leftover broccoli florets. It went down very well and filled everyone up, so we have left overs from the YS Butter Basted Chicken joint which was only supposed to serve 2-3 and did 2 adults, 2 children with enough to add to our special fried rice meal tomorrow.

Oh, and we had a NS Saturday due to 2 kids parties and a sponsored walk. Kept us out of the shops till today at least!

Onwards and upwards everyone!

Ellie
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hit the funds today with weekly shop.

HM for eggs, paracets and giant Fai8y = £ 3.72
    Al*i for fruit, veg, milk and meat for packups = £ 14.12
    Mr T for bits and pieces = £ 22.89
    but was tempted and bought side of salmon (1kg) for £13.00. It has gone up from last time on offer but still good value for 8 portions of omega 3 fish !
    So total for today = £ 40.73 and for month = £ 136.08

On the bolog/chili front - I dish both up with jacket pots, plain waffles, in wraps as well as usual pasta and rice - that way I get away with offering them more often haha as I cook mega lots of both and freeze every couple of months. :rotfl:

I have found can buy peppers and onions when on YS or offers and prep, saut! and freeze in batches for later use - works fine :money:

Just out of interest I saw a previous thread on Al*i washing powder and checked in there and Mr T (they do Da*sy) and surprise surprise they are exactly the same weight and price - how strange !! However get my avios points in Mr T.;)

Hope you all have a great week and remember to tie down the bin lids
    L.
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm returning once more after another lengthy absence, as i need to get my expenditures in order. I have spent a huge amount on groceries in the last month and it just can't continue.

Long ago i stopped adding up what i was spending on groceries each month and regrettably, it has proved my downfall in a big way.

Will amend my signature to reflect that i have lost the GC plot!

I look forward to catching up with you all :)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    had my first NSD yesterday and hoping for another today
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    First day of a new week for me. I need to go out & stock up so expect to make a big dent in my £40.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    Had to go to the little Mr A near me twice this weekend which is unusual for me because usually I do one big shop a week and that's it.

We got some milk and an onion on Saturday totalling £1.16. Then on Sunday I went to stock up on Pepsi Max (hello, i'm PrincessLou and i'm a Pepsi-Max-aholic) because it is on offer for a £1 a bottle so bought 3 for £3.

Total for the month so far £37.29
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Went to mr A yesterday to get some big glass storage jars on offer at 1.00 as want to get my stores more organised,bought 5 for lentils, rice,stock cubes, dried onions and pearl barley, they stack neating and I can get more on the shelf. Thinking about going back to get some more.

Got reduced fruit and veg while there, lettuce, cucumber, tomatos and oranges all 10p.
    Slimming World at target
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    99p to add for a large bottle of luco2ade for DH at the weekend. After making soup, cake and bread all Friday night DH decided he didnt fancy a picnic after all so of it got shoved in the freezer before we left the house on Saturday:mad: Most of the cheese bread will be eaten today as I deforsted it last night and he will be eating the soup for lunches next week. :p

The cake I made was from a recipe mentioned on the old style forum at the end of last week, it is a recipe from Mortgage Free in Three's blog called Jamaican Ginger Cake. I was planning to make my usual ginger cake but decided to do this one instead and it is just like the one you buy in the shop that my DH loves. I also lined my loaf tin with a liner from a pack from £land. Never used these before and I am now converted, no more snipping bits of baking parchment for me:D

Only 4 days of my GC left and I will need to buy a block of cheese for meals/lunches tonight. I will use my nectar points this time if I remember so it wll be 'free' and wont change my total.

DH wants to lose a bit of weight before Christmas. He has cut out booze which has made him lose a little bit and has given him a kick start into wanting to lose some more. I am not planning to change our meals too drastically or buy any 'diet' food but we are going to cut out crisps/snacks and I am going to get tea ready for when DH gets in so that he avoids raiding the fridge and follow it with a fruit based pud. He needs to lose about 2 to 2.5 stone and I wouldnt mind losing half a stone myself:)

As crisps/snacks were costing us quite a bit I am hoping this will help next months total too. :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I've spent £31.41 in Aldi & should only need bread & milk for the rest of the week.
    I've chopped & frozen Savoy cabbage, onions & carrots to make the most of their supersix.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport