PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another 7.58 on essentials, butter, micro pizza for the kids and coco pops. it all adds up too much :( not got my hand around the apps yet either any advice on this or recommenced a good slow cooker please pm me
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    kayester wrote: »
    Another 7.58 on essentials, butter, micro pizza for the kids and coco pops. it all adds up too much :( not got my hand around the apps yet either any advice on this or recommenced a good slow cooker please pm me

I know you said to PM you, but just incase anybody else is reading; mine is the basic Asda one ... £7 a while back, and i've hd it a good few years now with no problems. You can get ones with split comparments now too; so if you wanted to cook seperate meals that were similar or a savoury and a sweet the other side you could.

(I will PM you too)

Just had spends of £1.85 in C*-*p on Four packs of Warburtons YS breakfast muffins as DD1 loves these (39p each) and some breakfast pancakes for 29p. Then £3.82 on Branston beans (£1.25 at the mo for four, if anyone needs to stock up) and fizzy water, bananas, and three pack of ilkshakes for a change from juice for DD's packed lunches. I got these today as i am at the fracture clinic with DD2 tomorrow and not sure if i will have time to pop in anywhere on my way back/there. Shame she is on crutches as we are going where there are lots of shops that i could have gone in to get cheaper bits. Maybe i could pop in FF , as this is opposite bus station, so she could sit down whilst i pop over. Will see :)
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    kayester wrote: »

Mine is a cheapo tesc0 one had it a few years and its still going strong. I think slow cookers are one of the items where cheap are just as good as the expensive ones (My friend has a crock pot its much smaller than mine and cost £35 :eek:). I would recommend you get a large one, there is only two of us but a large means I can fit a whole chicken into it :)
    You can get ones with split comparments now too

That would be handy ill will look into them, bet they are expensive probably cheaper to buy two.

Yeah I have finally worked out how to do double quotes :T
  • strandedinaber
    Options
    I signed up to a local veg box for £10 which should arrive tomorrow and will hopefully mean I can get organic fruit and veg cheaper than I would be able to in the supermarket; that means I have £106.64 left for the rest of the month which should be plenty as I have lots in the freezer and the storecupboard is relatively full. Next month will be the test though!
    Novuna personal finance 0% 4-year £518/£1866
    M&S credit card 0% 18 months £413.12/£4216.58
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks guys if anyone has a double compartment one please tell me which one.
    i will have a look around later, off to doctors soon :(
    i am willing to spend upto £30.00 as i think it is beneficial having a slow cooker, am i right? i havnt a clue how to use them as i havnt or dont know anyone that has one, sorry for all the questions.
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine is a cheapo tesc0 one had it a few years and its still going strong. I think slow cookers are one of the items where cheap are just as good as the expensive ones (My friend has a crock pot its much smaller than mine and cost £35 :eek:). I would recommend you get a large one, there is only two of us but a large means I can fit a whole chicken into it :)

That would be handy ill will look into them, bet they are expensive probably cheaper to buy two.

Yeah I have finally worked out how to do double quotes :T

I have 2 slow cookers, I large one small which I bought on a carboot, I have been thinking of getting a dual compartment one but am put off by the thought that the smell or taste will intermingle. As I usually make a pudding in one and savoury in the other.

I dont really fancy my rice pud smelling or tasting of curry :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyone got one, does this happen?
    Slimming World at target
  • xxlouisexx56
    Options
    I haven't kept track but haven't spent much, most likely up to £70
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Nothing at all to do with groceries:-

Central heating came on this am for the second time in a week. When it first happened I asked DH to turn the thermostat down. He didn't do it, so this am when it came on again I hung some clothes on the radiators - he hates that - Just noticed he has turned the activating temp down by 2 degrees -
    result yes.
    Who says women arn't good at getting their own way without an argument???
  • aradesh
    Options
    its funny how i think i have purchased a lot of shopping and the next day or even the same day i realise i need something....what a pain

Part of the learning experience I guess. This is the whole point of writing down everything you buy, then from that making a better plan than you did last week/month. Each time there is a hiccough, try to work out why and take note of how often you need to buy the unexpected item and to plan for it in the future (some things need replacing less frequently than monthly, so maybe certain things could be purchased and budgeted for on a yearly basis?).
    aliwali wrote: »
    Small spend £1.25 for golden syrup in H*me B's. I probably looked a right idiot as I got my phone out to check whether it was cheaper per kg than Mr T's as was a different size pot!

I wouldn't worry about that! People standing still fiddling with their phone is a common scene. I do the same sort of thing and I have no qualms about it :rotfl:Besides no one would know exactly precisely what you're working out. You might just be checking online to see if you're allergic to some ingredient or something.
    Extra money made jun 19: £16.07

Extra money made jul 19: £0.00
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    I have 2 slow cookers, I large one small which I bought on a carboot, I have been thinking of getting a dual compartment one but am put off by the thought that the smell or taste will intermingle. As I usually make a pudding in one and savoury in the other.

I dont really fancy my rice pud smelling or tasting of curry :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyone got one, does this happen?

I think if see a small one cheap anywhere I will get another one so I can either do a dessert (don't use for dessert at the moment but I want to start) or I could put meat in one and potatoes / veg in the other. Instant meal then :) I thought of another downside to the double pot, I would still need to keep my big one as I use it for whole chickens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure