PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Just caught up with the thread as been busy for couple of days.
    Sorry to hear about the flooding and hope that you are insured and they sort things out quickly without too much hassle for you.

Yesterday got given half of a very large cauliflower so made some soup with it and we had it for lunch along with some home grown tomatoes on toast. Delicious and so sweet.
    Tea tonight was jkt potato with some cheese, onion & bacon on top and a small salad. Simple but really enjoyed it.

Put some lamb in sc today and we will be having this tomorrow - cant wait.
    Spending now up to £60.29
    003_zps797592fb.jpg

010_zpsdc6f3467.jpg
    011_zps0c9bfe40.jpg
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Tablespoon :eek: how big is your mug lol I add about half heaped teaspoon cocoa to 3 heaped teaspoon drinking chocolate (I do this each time I make a drink) you can add more or less depending how chocolatey you like your drink. Mix thoroughly with a little bit (approx 2-3teaspoons) of milk before you add the water.

I only use it for cake baking, hence the large amount :cool:
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    smokies wrote: »
    Sorry haven't updated this week but everything as gone t*ts up. Our house got flooded on Friday evening, lost most of down stairs, including carpets, sofa, washing machine etc.....

just now trying to sort things out - hoping to get back to a little normality next week.

Smokies

Sorry to hear this Smokies. I know 3 people who live about 40 minutes from me who got flooded out on Friday night and have lost their downstairs too. Insurance have put them in a hotel this week but have warned them they won't be back in their houses for around 6 months :eek:
    Pandora wrote: »
    Having a terrible time at the moment and am a bit ill, so not been able to go and sort out my refunds yet :( I'm determined to go to work tomorrow though so if I have the energy I will try and sort them out while I'm in town.

Hope your feeling better soon Pandora. I hate being ill (which is very often) :o

Anyway... today i managed a NSD! :T:T:T

My best friend took me out to lunch (she paid) then we did a little bit of shopping (different budget). She had to go to pick up a few groceries and I managed to abstain from buying anything and taking advantage of any offers!! :money:

Downside is I never got round to baking the pie and quiche. I have promised the kids it tomorrow so i best get it done. Might manage another NSD tomorrow, depends on the milk situation.

Right, off to sleep now. Shattered :)

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    Another £2.15 in Mr T - lady products and a few bakery YS items.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 September 2013 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Need to add a spend Mr F did at Mr A - need him to give me the receipt.
    We were busy stripping wallpaper last night so had a toast meal - baked beans on toast with a poached egg.
    Tonight we had HM Quiche + roast sweet potatoes + mushy peas + tinned carrots. Mr F found a tin with no label when we sorted the garage - he thought it was soup so opened it for his lunch.
    It was a tin of carrots.
    Forgot - spent £5 in £land - dates, brown sugar, sunflower seeds + fried egg sweets for a tray bake.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/378
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 78
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I forgot to add £2 spend in £land yesterday I got some containers for storing frozen food, it will need to come out of the food budget

on 34.82/35 for week 69.82/140 for month (4wks)
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 September 2013 at 8:07AM
    Options
    Yes of course, it's from The Dairy Book of Family Cookery 1983

ITALIAN LIVER
    350g lambs liver
    25g flour
    Salt n pepper
    40g English mustard
    450g sliced onions
    150ml beef stock
    300ml milk
    30ml tomato pur!e
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
    30ml double cream
    Chopped fresh parsley

Cut liver into small pieces, coat in seasoned flour. Melt butter, add liver, brown on all sides, remove and set aside. In same pan fry onions slowly until tender, gradually stir in stock, milk, tomato paste, garlic and herbs. Bring to boil, stirring continuously. Add liver, cover pan, cook gently 10-15 mins until liver tender. Season to taste. Place in serving dish, trickle cream over the sauce and top with parsley, serves 4.

SG

That sounds a lot nicer that what I would normally do (just liver, gravy and onions) hence why its been in the freezer for so long. I do remember reading somewhere to soak the liver in milk before cooking for a milder flavour. I've got next weeks meals sorted but will do the following week. Think I will cook and then leave in slow cooker to simmer. thanks.
  • sheeppappar
    Options
    kayester -- slow cooker --
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-15th-september/product-detail/ps/p/slow-cooker/
    I haven't got this model so can't say if there is anything good or bad about it, but it is a good price and coming into Aldi this weekend :)
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 September 2013 at 12:50PM
    Options
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    Just caught up with the thread as been busy for couple of days.
    Sorry to hear about the flooding and hope that you are insured and they sort things out quickly without too much hassle for you.

Yesterday got given half of a very large cauliflower so made some soup with it and we had it for lunch along with some home grown tomatoes on toast. Delicious and so sweet.
    Tea tonight was jkt potato with some cheese, onion & bacon on top and a small salad. Simple but really enjoyed it.

Put some lamb in sc today and we will be having this tomorrow - cant wait.
    Spending now up to £60.29
    003_zps797592fb.jpg

010_zpsdc6f3467.jpg
    011_zps0c9bfe40.jpg

It all looks lovely, especially the baked potato, this is one of my favorite meals
    I have some baccon bits to use up so I think you have inspired me to bake a couple, I am on the last of the stew I did on Monday and have really enjoyed it. I am full of a cold again so looking for comfort food at the moment.
    Slimming World at target
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My meal plan is going to have to change as I went to get some chicken out of the freezer to make cury tonight and there was only 3 very small breasts left! This is what happens when you keep putting off listing your freezer contents:mad: I will pad out the meal with rice and chips to make it a mid week fakeaway.

Tomorrow night I will make the leek and potato soup, JJ bread and ginger and pear pudding and Friday I will do whatever I can find in the freezer. Could be a combination of sausages for me if I can find any or an omlette, burgers for DH, HM chips and beans.

I also need to rustle up a packed lunch for Saturday as we are going to a National Trust place (getting full use of our membership;)) on the way to my Mum's for the rest of the weekend. I was going to make scotch eggs but won't have enough sausages. I think it will have to be HM tomato and basil soup, more JJ herb bread and quiche and a ginger cake. We will need something warming to eat in the car.

My month ends on the 19th so I have 4 days of meals next week to cover and I really wanted to spend no more than last month so I will really need to get creative with what we have in. We maybe going mainly veggie for the week which wont impress DH!

Oooo I have just remembered I have some mince:D Meals I have come up with so far are veggie chilli with spicy wedges, Runners Pie (its shepherds pie really with baked beans but the original recipe was from Runners magazine and the name stuck:)) and carbonarra with garlic pizza bread. I could also do HM pizzas and HM chips which would get me up until pay day. Panic over! Oh and I have a pasta bake sauce too, what was I worrying about:doh:

I have realised that we have spent quite a bit on snacks like popcorn, pork scratchings (eugghhh) and crisps this month, even though I have changed to buying these form HB. Next month I am going to keep a track of these spends and see where I can cut it down.

I am going to try to create a mealplan for a fortnight today to take me from pay day on the 20th to 3rd October.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills