PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• dylan2011
    Options
    NSD day for me again on Thursday, then just £2.50 yesterday going to toddlers :j
    Need to pop to Ald* today for a few essentials as partner going away tomorrow to start his training course, and I don't drive, so need to make sure got everything in to last me until Friday if possible. Looking forward to some more NSDs - should still only cost approx £10-£15 today if I stick to list.
    I have my family coming for buffet style dinner tomorrow. Cant wait, I love having them over and not done it for a while. Got my mum, sister, 3 brothers, sister in law and neice coming. Going to make some quiches, hm pizzas, sausage rolls, cheese & onion rolls to go with some salad, crusty bread and will do some hm coronation chicken and tuna mayo for people to put in the bread if they wish.
    Followed by a big hm chocolate cake.
    Doing pasta for dinner tonight. Had YS Salmon fillets with salad and sliced potatos yesterday, and Thursday was a lovely hm chicken and bacon pie. Used 2 small chick breasts and a handful of bacon, with an onion, a white sauce and a small amount of cheese & mustard. It was very tasty and made 6-8 good sized portions.
    Enjoy your weekend folks. :beer:
    Mum of 2 monkey. 4 yrs and 2 yrs :j
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I aiming for a NSD.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Yesterday I made chopped tomatoes (haha!) from the glut in the greenhouse by processing them and then transferring portions that are enough for a family pasta dish into resealable plastic bags, and packing a number of these into an empty ice-cream box to freeze. Now they're frozen I can "tetris" them into the corners of the freezer. I just need to remember them next time chopped canned tomatoes are on offer!

I also made loads of jumbleberry jam and still have a bag of damsons to make Christmas Presents of damson flavoured vodkas with after I've bought more vodka... :o I just have to ignore the "she doesn't look like an alcoholic" looks at the SM checkout and resist the urge to explain...

We are still making only minimal purchases and living off garden produce, but picking and watering is taking ages and now my house is a mess...

Have a good day everyone
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 September 2013 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Well my OH should shortly be arriving at the train station for the stag do he is attending today.... I'm sure he will have a nice time but why do I feel so nervous? Its no different really to him going out for a few beers on a normal night....

anyhow, planning a shop and having made a list and having got an idea of meal plans, I'm finding it easier. Its still tempting to overspend though so before I check out, I shall be going through my shopping list with a fine toothcomb.

Out of interest, I downloaded the love food, hate waste app for my phone and was intrigued to discover that you can tell it what food you have in your fridge/freezer/cupboards and it then suggests recipes/meal plans for you. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to these apps and would prefer to use something on the computer - does anyone know of any? (it doesn't appear this same feature is on the love food, hate website). is there a designated forum thread on here perhaps???
  • flyinggiraffe_2
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide what to do with my delivery what not saver that will renew in October with Mr T. I don't have a decent supermarket near me so my best option is to have my groceries delivered (I don't drive and there is only so much you can carry on the bus). At the moment I shop/have my food delivered by Mr T.

I've never got on too well with a$*a who always made a mess of my orders and I have not tried $ainsbugs who now deliver to where I live but I'm wondering whether a$*a might be good for staples (tins etc) and Mr T for fresh stuff. a$*a always used to send stuff that was all but out of date :(

Welcome thoughts...

If you've never tried sainbugs then there are usually voucher codes for £15 off your first online shop over £60.

Obviously only useful if you would spend up to £60 anyway, but it would give you the chance to see what the delivery service is like.

I used thus when I moved into my new house, and it was good to get £60 worth of shopping for £45, but not used them again as I find that what I usually buy is more expensive at Sainsbug than anywhere else.
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've never tried sainbugs then there are usually voucher codes for £15 off your first online shop over £60.

Obviously only useful if you would spend up to £60 anyway, but it would give you the chance to see what the delivery service is like.

I used thus when I moved into my new house, and it was good to get £60 worth of shopping for £45, but not used them again as I find that what I usually buy is more expensive at Sainsbug than anywhere else.

Yes I think they are expensive which puts me off. They do have good offers but if I used them for my main shops all the time, I'd probably end up paying more. I've kind of got used to Mr T so think best to stick to what I know....
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bulk buy of the month:- bramley apples from the growers. It did cost £30 but I have 30kg to freeze - should be enough for the year. I worked out they were about half the price I would have had to pay in the supermarket.
    Only have £74.21 left from my monthly budget (136.00) hopefully ok.
  • Florenceem wrote: »
    So you put the frozen wedges in the oven and warm them through?
    I sometimes cook extra wedges for when I am eating alone - store in fridge - just warm them in the MW.

Yes just like hm ready wedges lol and better for you cos you can watch the salt content NOT. I use the low sodium but put a lot on lol.and cheaper.
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • lynnejk wrote: »
    Horrible cold, wet and windy day :(

Thought I was going to have another NSD but needed milk. Not worth getting car out and going to Li*l so it was 89p at local shop.
    I have amended my total.

Hope everyone doing well ;)

What are your thoughts on having dried milk in the store cupboard.i use the sainbury dried skimmed milk and when i have semi milk now its like tasting luxury.
    If dried milk is a NO NO what about freezing milk when i have been lucky enough to have got reduced milk and room in the freezer you just take a cup of milk outk for expansion
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 September 2013 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I'm aiming for £130 again this month, but it's going to be a push because I've spent more than what I spent the whole of August already!

Had a HUGE Mr T delivery come through - my share of the delivery came to £62.25. All came in tact, but they didn't have chicken breasts which was a bit disappointing. They also delivered a 2.5kg pork joint instead of a 900g one I requested! Called up and got a refund for the difference, but I've got no idea how I'm going to get through all of that meat. Think I'll save for one time when guests come over! :eek:

Also spent:

02/09 - £4.09 in M+S
    03/09 - 6.15 in MrS
    05/09 - £3 in MrS
    05/09 - £3.59 in MrT
    06/09 - £1.10 in MrS

Brings my running total to £80.18, and I need to do more shopping today. I'm going to do a nice tapas style meal tomorrow at home, which will be pricier, but will be about 25% of the cost of one of my days out! Got given some chorizo, morcilla and cured pancetta from a work-mate, who received it in a goodie bag, on a cookery book launch, but can't use it because she is veggie. Should help towards the meal:j

Meals this week have been/will be:

Monday (housemate cooked) - Breaded fish with broccoli, potato wedges and sweet chilli sauce.
    Tuesday (I cooked) - Turkey meatballs with a tomato/fennel/chilli sauce with pasta.
    Wednesday (I cooked) Za'atar chicken with salad and wraps
    Thursday (housemate cooked) - Salmon with a caper and lemon sauce served with bubble and squeak cakes and broccoli
    Friday (housemate cooked) - Ottolengi 'sweet and sour' cod in a tomato/cider vinegar sauce with onions and peppers
    Saturday (I'll cook) - Chicken with honey/lime/chilli/soy sauce with peppers and spring onions, served with cashew and coriander rice.

And then Sunday the plan is:

Brunch - Muffins with eggs, morcilla (black pudding), baked beans and pancetta

Dinner - Tapas dishes

Chorizo in cider
    Manchego
    Garlic Prawns
    Vine Tomatoes with fresh oregano and lemon
    Sourdough bread
    Figs on rocket with blue cheese

Served with wine of course! :beer:

Wow! That was a big post! Have a good day all.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills