We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

1…104105107109110…132

Comments

  • Top up shop of £6.20 from Wednesday to report plus one today of £11.71 in Ald!, got teabags and enough milk, bread, ham, cheese and fruit to last until my new month starts on Thursday (barring any emergencies!)

    So although I have gone slightly over budget, it's not that long ago that we were spending around £400 a month:eek: so to get it this low is an achievement. Couldn't have done it without you guys, the inspiration on this site is amazing, so thanks:)
  • Just gone 85p over budget for this month. I may have to spend a little bit more on milk and potatoes but I aim to keep it as low as possible. I'm saving my £15 saved on a £60 shop from Mr T until the first of next month as it will form part of next month's budget.

    Have I got enough self control???
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    I've spent £6.41 on fruit & veg so have 49p to last until monday.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Finally C*-*p had milk in, so hoping to not need any more or anything else, until next week.

    £1.00 to add to sig
    GC 2026 £1,339.25/1200.00
    (20.49/8 = 2.52 <2/8> coffee) Sep £67.69/100 BB £29.85/20 (includes food, toiletries and cleaning, from 13th to 12th of each month).
    One person vegan household, with occasional visitors

    https://share.octopus.energy/lotus-okapi-493?utm_source=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referrals&utm_content=unique-link

    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I did HM mayo to go with it (super easy used a hand blender)

    I think HM mayo is so hard. Me and my OH used 2 bottles of oil and a whole box of eggs trying to do this!!

    It is worth it if it actually works though! It's delicious!
    Follow here for the daily life of an ADHD mum with 2 children and a new mortgage to pay

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6570879/life-in-our-forever-family-home-and-the-mortgage-that-came-with-it#latest
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 722 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Hello Everyone :hello:

    I used to take part in this challenge and I would like to join in again, please. I have continued to track my spends but haven't been on target for a while. So I am going to do weekly challenges of £90 for the time being. I need to find a rhythm with this!

    So, our household includes 2 adults and 3 children, all food, household cleaning and toiletries.

    Looking forward to getting back into this and 'meeting' you all :j. I will read the fred and my week starts on Monday!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 September 2013 at 2:27PM
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    I think HM mayo is so hard. Me and my OH used 2 bottles of oil and a whole box of eggs trying to do this!!

    It is worth it if it actually works though! It's delicious!

    Did you try it the proper way? I have never attempted that and never will, seems like too much hard work.

    Try this (watch the video) http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Minute-Mayonnaise/

    It really does work, but you MUST use a stick blender in a tall container like shown and blend in short bursts to start with. I make mine with the oil and lemon juice (just the cheap stuff in the bottle)
  • Chloris wrote: »
    Hello Everyone :hello:

    I used to take part in this challenge and I would like to join in again, please. I have continued to track my spends but haven't been on target for a while. So I am going to do weekly challenges of £90 for the time being. I need to find a rhythm with this!

    So, our household includes 2 adults and 3 children, all food, household cleaning and toiletries.

    Looking forward to getting back into this and 'meeting' you all :j. I will read the fred and my week starts on Monday!

    Hi, I have only joined this month but finding it really helpful, I have got loads of ideas from the thread for different recipes and things to try.
  • Hello alll.. just spent another £53 in t3sco which should see us through to end of month (next Fri = payday). Have a fab weekend :) xxx
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    she_who_can_not_cook Posts: 650 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2013 at 6:49PM
    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/13/13feb25e.cfm


    this is what our cousins across the pond do with mince
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

    God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.