🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Anyone want to join me? Awaiting Mortgage decision...

Options

Comments

• Vok_2
    Vok_2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Lizards, honestly I have aged 10yrs in the last 2wks. Lol.

Something about my default that they did see during the AIP stage.

Fingers crossed it all goes well with Leeds. Dont see me doing this again in a hurry
  • katty2010
    katty2010 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Here's our progress so far, we are FTB. Sorry it's a bit long!

31st Jan - saw advert for house
    2nd Feb - DIP agreed by Santander (direct). Viewed house and we immediately put in an offer £3k below asking price
    3rd Feb - Offer accepted
    5th Feb - Full app submitted to santander
    6th Feb - App declined due to adverse credit (1 default from 2012)
    9th Feb - Contacted a broker.
    11th Feb - Appointment with broker, DIP given by Leeds and full app submitted by broker 12/02.
    16th Feb - Leeds request proof of overdraft facility as it's not shown on statements and the account has been overdrawn. Proof was sent back same day.
    18th Feb - Leeds request clarification on what a certain D/D is for and apply to employers for references. We chased the refs we our employers and send D/D clarification back same day.
    23rd Feb - employers send back ref. Leeds confirm they have got it.
    24th Feb - Valuation takes place
    25th Feb - Leeds confirm they have the valuation and will be back to us in 48 hours. If everything OK we should get mortgage offer in post by Tuesday 3rd March.

I'm playing a waiting game now! Not instructed any solicitors or paid any fees as yet so that's all to come once we have our offer!

Good luck everyone
    katty2010 wrote: »
    Update! Valuation was fine. We got our mortgage offer today! :) It was posted out yesterday. So pleased, and can instruct the solictors and enjoy the weekend now.

Update, searches done, all fine. Exchange of contracts planned for Wednesday 25th March and completion set for Thursday 26th March.

I'm being told by family members that nearly everyone always completes on a Friday, is that true?

Does this mean we'll get the keys on Thursday? Also, they haven't mentioned about when they'll take the funds for the deposit, will this be when contracts exchange?

• Landofwood
    Landofwood Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    katty2010 wrote: »
    Here's our progress so far, we are FTB. Sorry it's a bit long!

31st Jan - saw advert for house
    2nd Feb - DIP agreed by Santander (direct). Viewed house and we immediately put in an offer £3k below asking price
    3rd Feb - Offer accepted
    5th Feb - Full app submitted to santander
    6th Feb - App declined due to adverse credit (1 default from 2012)
    9th Feb - Contacted a broker.
    11th Feb - Appointment with broker, DIP given by Leeds and full app submitted by broker 12/02.
    16th Feb - Leeds request proof of overdraft facility as it's not shown on statements and the account has been overdrawn. Proof was sent back same day.
    18th Feb - Leeds request clarification on what a certain D/D is for and apply to employers for references. We chased the refs we our employers and send D/D clarification back same day.
    23rd Feb - employers send back ref. Leeds confirm they have got it.
    24th Feb - Valuation takes place
    25th Feb - Leeds confirm they have the valuation and will be back to us in 48 hours. If everything OK we should get mortgage offer in post by Tuesday 3rd March.

I'm playing a waiting game now! Not instructed any solicitors or paid any fees as yet so that's all to come once we have our offer!

Good luck everyone

Update, searches done, all fine. Exchange of contracts planned for Wednesday 25th March and completion set for Thursday 26th March.

I'm being told by family members that nearly everyone always completes on a Friday, is that true?

Does this mean we'll get the keys on Thursday? Also, they haven't mentioned about when they'll take the funds for the deposit, will this be when contracts exchange?

Sensible people don't complete on Fridays. If there's a problem, you'll have to wait until Monday to speak to your solicitor.

You get the keys when you complete.
  • lizards
    lizards Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vok - Oh no, so frustrating it was over something you'd expect to be picked up at AIP! Honestly buying a house has aged me similarly.. it's far too much of a rollercoaster for my liking and goes on for far too long!

Katty - Sounds promising with the Leeds!
  • omarftb
    omarftb Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Exchange tomorrow paid the whole deposit and solicitors fees last friday and complete on friday. Cant wait have had many sleepless nights thinking about mortgages
  • Patmoore
    Patmoore Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    So I have the AIP in place and my mortgage interview with the Co-Operative on Tuesday, who are my existing lender.

What is odd, is that it is over the phone, entirely. How on earth do they verify anything? Will I have to take stuff in? They said the call could last upto 3 hours....
  • SheffDan1867
    Options
    Patmoore wrote: »
    So I have the AIP in place and my mortgage interview with the Co-Operative on Tuesday, who are my existing lender.

What is odd, is that it is over the phone, entirely. How on earth do they verify anything? Will I have to take stuff in? They said the call could last up to 3 hours....

We had the phone application with Natwest on Saturday. It took 4 hours in the end. But there was a 45 minute period where we had a break while the lady went away to type it all up for the recommendation.

They are sending us the documents to sign which we need to return with our payslips and statements.
  • lizards
    Options
    We went through a broker (NatWest) and the whole appointment was 90 minutes and that was it. And a lot of that was casual chatting rather than quickfire questions and at least half an hour was describing my husband's complicated pay package which most people would not have to do.

Does going through a broker reduce the questions they ask/need to know or something then?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have a few phone and email exchanges with our clients and a single meeting which last about 45 minutes, then the application is submitted.

You have to remember, we've had years to hone giving advice, whereas lenders have only had eleven months. Before 26/04/14 lenders mostly provided information only and left you to it. They chucked three quotes on the desk and said "pick one" and it was your problem if you got it wrong...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • lizards
    Options
    That sounds pretty much what happened to us - I sent an email giving all the information I could think of, and he'd done his homework based on that when we arrived so aside from asking a few further questions and clarifying things it was all sorted. He already knew which lenders would be suitable.

It's the first time I've used a broker. I've bought two houses in the past even though I'm currently in rented, and it was as you say - left to get on with it! Definitely prefer this experience.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure