We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• cronshd
    cronshd Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    That's an interesting anecdote. I wonder where Amex is on the 'curve of cool' right now? Clearly it lost something during the 1980's after Pamela's "..that'll do nicely sketch" - but seemed to retrieve it with the introduction of the 'black' card (do they still do it?) through the 1990's.

Maybe with a new generation it has achieved a kind of retro-cool status in the eyes of some.

What is the coolest card currently?
  • omega27
    omega27 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strangely Specsavers in Lincoln don't take Amex anymore (they removed the sign in the window when I complained), but the one in Morrisons Lincoln do!
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cronshd wrote:
    Maybe with a new generation it has achieved a kind of retro-cool status in the eyes of some.

My point exactly!
    cronshd wrote:
    What is the coolest card currently?

Interesting question. I wonder what the answer would be to this...
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    rjlawson wrote:
    Strangely Specsavers in Lincoln don't take Amex anymore (they removed the sign in the window when I complained), but the one in Morrisons Lincoln do!

I think there was a link on the AmEx website (last time I looked) so that you can file a complaint with them. IIRC, it was under some FAQ document somewhere.

Hope this helps.
  • omega27
    omega27 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes that would be https://home3.americanexpress.com/uk/merchant/secure/leads_general/ges_suppression_uk.asp & https://home3.americanexpress.com/uk/merchant/secure/leads_general/ges_referral_uk.asp?gsicheck=off for problems and places you'd like to use the card. I visit that page quite a bit, don't know if it makes any difference.
  • CrazyIndianZA
    Options
    I bought some suits from Moss Bros in London recently using Amex and after looking at the card, the girl at the counter wanted to know which part of America I was from....
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    rjlawson wrote:

I think it maybe because Specsavers are franchises, so each Specsavers store will decide what forms of payment it will take.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmmm...AMEX usage does oddly tend to carry a bit of an accolade at times. People do treat you differently when you present your card.

Also, I have a BA AMEX card, emblazoned with the BA logo, people often assume I work for BA when making payments and its quite funny sometimes.

My 2 pence worth!
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    Lopo wrote:
    Hmmmm...AMEX usage does oddly tend to carry a bit of an accolade at times. People do treat you differently when you present your card.

Also, I have a BA AMEX card, emblazoned with the BA logo, people often assume I work for BA when making payments and its quite funny sometimes.

My 2 pence worth!

I think it is because not so many people have Amex in the UK. Imagine the reaction you would get if you walked in with a Diners or JCB card?
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Helen_from_yorkshire
    Options
    leaphaze wrote:
    Centre Parcs - Longleat (already mentioned above), not only can you pay for your holiday, but all the little retailers inside also accept Amex. Fancy paying for an icecream with Amex?

Recently been to Centerparcs, Sherwood (the Longleat parc is so tiring!) and was surprised they accepted Amex everywhere. According to the cashier in the Parcmarket, they accept all cards as they just want your money !!!!
    There's no woman sicker than the woman who is sick on her day off !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport