Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Clare1971
    Options
    The thought of having a new boiler fitted terrifies me even though it might be for free :shocked: I have just phoned the Energy Saving Advice Service and asked if I'm eligible for a free one. Should I now sit back and be prepared to be messed about? :undecided I have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to be contacted. I chose British Gas although my energy supplier is E-on. You can't go wrong with British Gas.... Can you :rotfl: Fingers crossed... wait and see!
  • pippin18
    Options
    I too today rang energy saving advice, they took details and said we should hear from our energy supplier (British Gas) within 2 weeks, they have to get confirmation from DWP that we are on the benefit I said we were on. So hopefully after being turned down by a third party company after waiting 11 weeks only to be told they have no funding and we didnt qualify anyway, we will get good news. In the meantime we will continue without heating and hot water :(
  • OAP80wallace
    Options
    I have just had the reply to my letter to my MP, enclosing a letter from the Dept. of Energy. I had complained, amongst other things, that I could get no satisfactory answer as to why I had been asked to contribute £280 towards the free boiler. Their answer was "While the Government envisaged that measures installed under the Affordable Warmth element of the ECO (Energy Company Obligation) would be fully subsidised, it is not a requirement," This of course leaves the installers open to ask for whatever payment they like and give no satisfactory reasons as to why!
    The letter goes on to add"I would of course expect the customer to be made fully aware of this in advance.....and to be informed what these costs are for. Then he goes on to point out that in such cases it is at the discretion of the customer whether to proceed, taking into account their own personal circumstances! The information I provided is being passed to Ofgem, the scheme's administrator, for their records. (to be lost amongst all the others, I presume.
  • TheOneINT
    Options
    Is there really such a thing as a 'free boiler'?
  • writeaboutnow
    writeaboutnow Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2014 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the site and have been following this discussion with great interest as it applies to my set of circumstances as well. I'm at the stage where I've been without a functioning boiler since last Sunday, at the end of a relentless week of chasing up the company dealing with my application. Had already had my house EPC assessed three weeks earlier and was simply after an update. I finally received an email yesterday confirming an actual conversation on Monday (!) that due to the energy efficiency of my property, they will require my £600 contribution to proceed. I had asked them to provide a cost breakdown, which they said they couldn't give me. They also said that they couldn't give me an installation date until I had agreed to pay!?! Back to the email, I am advised that the funding for the scheme is due to run out very soon and it will be a case of first come, first served. They have given me a week to decide. I am going to ring the Energy Savings Trust again for advice, but thought I would ask a few things here as well as there is obviously a lot of knowledge and experience on this thread. Can the company get away with not providing you with a cost breakdown like this? How do I get a copy of my EPC? I have attempted to find a local company to go through but no joy as yet. Apart from the financial aspect, I am very reticient to proceed with this company due to my experience of their service so far. I can't imagine their after-service is up to much either and for me that is a really important consideration.
  • Lincam
    Options
    Took Martin's advice and contacted 'Energy Saving Advice Service' with regards to new boiler (that I am entitled to)....what a complete and utter waste of time....! They eventually advised me to contact British Gas direct...(and yes, I'm getting a new boiler). Could have done that initially and not wasted my time and money with Energy Saving Advice Service' (getting money for nowt).
  • fellsider
    Options
    Hi writeabout now.
    If you go to the EPC website you can get your report IF the company have registered it. Don't be surprised if it's not there! I have supposedly had 3 done now and only one is showing.
    Just google epc register
    and click on retrieve report using property address, down left hand side, to find it.
    You can't save it but you can print it.

Can't post the link for you as new users can't post links.
  • wishicouldaffordit
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the site and have been following this discussion with great interest as it applies to my set of circumstances as well. I'm at the stage where I've been without a functioning boiler since last Sunday, at the end of a relentless week of chasing up the company dealing with my application. Had already had my house EPC assessed three weeks earlier and was simply after an update. I finally received an email yesterday confirming an actual conversation on Monday (!) that due to the energy efficiency of my property, they will require my £600 contribution to proceed. I had asked them to provide a cost breakdown, which they said they couldn't give me. They also said that they couldn't give me an installation date until I had agreed to pay!?! Back to the email, I am advised that the funding for the scheme is due to run out very soon and it will be a case of first come, first served. They have given me a week to decide. I am going to ring the Energy Savings Trust again for advice, but thought I would ask a few things here as well as there is obviously a lot of knowledge and experience on this thread. Can the company get away with not providing you with a cost breakdown like this? How do I get a copy of my EPC? I have attempted to find a local company to go through but no joy as yet. Apart from the financial aspect, I am very reticient to proceed with this company due to my experience of their service so far. I can't imagine their after-service is up to much either and for me that is a really important consideration.

who is paying for the install? email the CEO and query it with them, I did with E.On and they said there was nothing to pay.
  • OAP80wallace
    Options
    TheOneINT wrote: »
    Is there really such a thing as a 'free boiler'?

NOOOO! if time, energy, temper, nerves and cash are factored in.
  • writeaboutnow
    writeaboutnow Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2014 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Hi fellsider, thank you so much for that advice, I had already tried to find my report on this site but hadn't noticed you could search by postcode so thought I had reached another brick wall! And it has allowed me to save a copy so even better! When the assessment was carried out, my boiler was limping along and working erratically so I still had random hot water... I notice from the report they have given 4 stars for the boiler and 3 for hot water, which not only weren't even checked when he was here but now don't even apply because I have neither! When I requested that another assessment was done due to the change in my situation, they were reluctant to do so and said that means you'd have to start again. Also, thank you to wishicouldaffordit - I have already written asking for 'managerial attentions' but they appear to be shielding anyone above team leader level from my demands and determination to get answers... the email I received was sent by the admin supervisor! I'm thinking I should go back and let them know I've seen the EPC and call their bluff about the week's deadline...

By the way, not sure if I'm replying correctly as I notice people requote what they are responding to... I'm still at the stage of working out how to subscribe to this thread!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback