Options

Comments

• chaddy7604
    chaddy7604 Posts: 20,469 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Some things that will change

Do you really remember what the old site looked like?

It's actually quite difficult to remember, so I thought this would be fun. Here's some old versions of the site

1. My homepage - pre-site in July 20022 View it
    2. The original incarnation of the main site. Feb 2003 View it
    3. Some tweaks made to the main site. August 2005 View it
    4. Getting nearer to the old site version. May 2006 View it

I haven't got a copy of the final version of the old site yet, but the last one above is quite close, and the forum layout didn't change from then till now

Martin :D

Hey! Martin

Is this one the future! :rotfl:
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    Jakaru wrote: »
    I'm Dumbstruck.

Clearly we don't know what's good for us.

Is there a reason you can't put the huge gap back on the left? Why was it moved?
  • Gem_
    Gem_ Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    windym wrote: »
    I could do with the address link (or whatever it is called) that is usually at the top of the forum/thread you are in. I used to go into a thread and instead of hitting the back button I could go to the top of the thread and click the spider link back through (either going to the main forum, sub thread etc). Its a shortcut type navigator. If you know what it is, I would like to have it back !!

Otherwise, site looks cleaner, albeit, huge gap down the right side of the screen. Is there anyway of centralising?

Totally agree with both of these points (plus the smiles are not working for me - using IE9)

Gem
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm another one of those missing the quick "Forums" link that was on the left-hand side in the menu. And the links eg "Home > Forums > Money Saving and the site" need to be more prominant. Sometimes, when you're pages into a long thread, you need a quick and easy escape route!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    I want to like it. The tabs along the top are very good.

But I still find it far too cluttered. Too many different font sizes, font colours, different coloured links, layout inconsistencies. It still hurts the eyes, and I'm not a fan of the pale green either. I don't find it that much different from the old site.

A lot of my work is based around usability and I especially hate things such as "Set as homepage" and "bookmark this site". Would be interesting to see how well the site works with a screen reader too.

Much, much better code design though. Makes it easier to maintain and reduces page load time / load on the server, which is noticeable (and others have mentioned too).
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely light colours, very easy on the eye ...

But please get rid of the right hand column on the forum!

Anybody else feel particularly lost last night?!! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I've just been mooching around all the other websites/ebay/forums that I use and if there is a side bar it's always on the left - it just seems more logical to have it on the left, perhaps it's a left brain/right brain thing but it's far easier to view it on the left
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    really liking the site at the moment and ocmparing it back to the older ones make it even more nicer and more up to date looking :)
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like the new look - and the list of free information sites is *phenomenal*, well done everyone, and thank you Martin, its absolutely great.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Anybody else feel particularly lost last night?!! x

yes i had withdrawal symptoms lol.

the colours in the forum are quite clinical but i'm sure I will get used to them.

Like what has already been said. People read from left to write in the English Language so it is logical to put that annoying bar back on the left. We didn't mind the space before because it had the consumer revenge stamp down it.

also the tree navigation thingy at the top needs making bigger! I know you've said it's not going to be moved but it would look better in its old place.

other than that i like it ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport