Cancelling Sky and then rejoining?

Options
Hi,

We currently pay Sky £33.50 for the entertainment package plus unlimited broadband. Happy enough with that but we don't have a sky plus box and I'd like one without paying a load of money for something new customers get for free.

We are moving house soon and it occured to me I could leave and then rejoin at the new address. The package is in my maiden name and so we could sign up with husband's name instead. Direct debit would be from the same account as now though.

Is there a gaping hole in my plan?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rose7 wrote: »

Probably not, but I'm not sure I'd use the same bank account to pay for it.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

We currently pay Sky £33.50 for the entertainment package plus unlimited broadband. Happy enough with that but we don't have a sky plus box and I'd like one without paying a load of money for something new customers get for free.

We are moving house soon and it occured to me I could leave and then rejoin at the new address. The package is in my maiden name and so we could sign up with husband's name instead. Direct debit would be from the same account as now though.

Have you not tried calling them to see what they can offer you? Seems much less hassle to me!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presumably OP your Sky Box was free when you joined.
    Sky Plus boxes are ten a penny on Ebay, in fact Sky no longer manufacture or sell them.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You really don't need to move house to obtain a new box, simply ask and they will give you one.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Sky Plus boxes are ten a penny on Ebay, in fact Sky no longer manufacture or sell them.
    I think most people now refer to the Sky+HD box as simply Sky+ these days and I expect this is what the OP wants.

As a side note, how much do you think I could get for my old Pace Sky+ version one?:)
  • rose7_2
    rose7_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I was planning on asking them if they would give us one for free as a first resort but I have asked in the past and been told we'd have to pay. I thought I could threaten to cancel as leaverage but didn't want to threaten something I wouldn't go through with.

The kind of box i want is just the type that lets you record programmes as ours doesn't do that. I will have a look on ebay, hadn't thought of that.

Yes penrhyn we got a free box when we joined but that was 5 years ago and I don't think its wildly unreasonable to want an upgrade so that we can record programmes. The ethos of this site it to save money but i don't expect something for nothing Sky have had 5 years of custom from us.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The kind of box i want is just the type that lets you record programmes as ours doesn't do that. I will have a look on ebay, hadn't thought of that.
    If you're moving house anyway, just get a completely new install-you'll get new equipment!
    Five years as a customer of Sky won't get you anything as a matter of course, but signing as a new customer at a different address definitely will...

PS Wanna buy my Pace Sky+ version One?
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Have you not tried calling them to see what they can offer you? Seems much less hassle to me!

Not if there are half price codes flying around or £100 cashback offers.

Then more cashback if you upgrade package.

Always start from new - your treated better!
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am sure that Sky have said they will give a new HD+ box to those with old boxes BUT I am also sure that this would involve agreeing to a new 12 month contract which may not be a good idea if you are moving house soon.
  • jkolch
    jkolch Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. You're going to have to call to cancel, and when you do, explain that you're moving house and you don't think you want to keep Sky. See what they offer you.

If it's not good enough, then like techspec said, get one of the cashback offers. The top one right now offers £248 cashback, although I think that's for one of their epic expensive packages.
    http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital-tv-and-broadband/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport