PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Chain broken down after exchange

Options

Comments

• ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    What he wants to know is whether he can get any compensation.

The answer is, maybe, but the only place it'll come from is from suing the vendors. If you're going to do that you may as well just have insisted they complete, as you've apparently let them out of the contract.
  • wannahouse
    wannahouse Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why are people still offering the OP advice?
    because the OP is still saying they want to sue and get whatever money they could- thats why!
  • Jaff.
    Jaff. Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clear things up a bit here here is the sequence of events.

For ease of understanding we will call the elderly couple I'm buying off number 2 and the couple they are buying off number 3.

Number 2 accepted my offer in early February.
    They then go on a 4 week holiday whilst the house they chose has a survey carried out. I did the same thing.
    On their return there are numerous delays with regards to exchanging contracts, one of the main ones was number 2 going on another weeks holiday in may and number 3 having hospital appointments lasting a whole week (or so I was told)
    Everyone ready to exchange contracts by the 17th, as it was a Friday and too late, the exchange happened on the Monday (20th)
    Completion date was to be the 29th of may.
    Wednesday the 22nd I get a phone all saying its potentially going to fall through and number 3's wife has been diagnosed with cancer. No other details will be available until the 30th (day after completion) when she has a hospital appointment.

So that's me in limbo

At this point, my OH has already moved jobs to be closer to the house we were buying, and we had applied to transfer my sons school (it's a welsh school and places are very hard to come by) not to mention we have now been living out of boxes for about 2 months after waiting for exchange and completion.
    30th comes, the outlook is number 3's wife has 2 months left to live and they are refusing to move. Number 2 being an elderly couple don't want to move into rented accommodation.
    I wait the 10 working days as requested and on my solicitors advice, rescind the contract. I was told a judge may side with number 3 if I was to force them to move (what would actually happen is I'd force number 2 out and they would force number 3 out)
    That happened Wednesday and I had a meeting with my solicitor yesterday to work out my costs. I'm happy enough that I'm not going to be worse off after that.

Meanwhile during the 10 day period, number 2 has found another house and they still want me to move into their house. This would mean starting a new contract and waiting seemingly longer for a house that my OH has said she won't be happy living there due to the hassle we have had, plus the market has changed now and there are potentially better houses out there. I have told them that I won't be buying their house now because I'm basically not willing to wait (there's a chain involving waiting for a new house to be ready) for a house I'm not sure i want anymore.

I now am wondering, hence me asking on here, what happens now. My solicitor has said she will look into other cases, but as this doesn't happen often I can't see there being many, what else I am entitled to.
    As I dont fully trust solicitors I thought I'd ask advice from someone who has been through similar before (welshwolfs thread) for advice. Then I was told to start another thread which I have.

I'd like to point out I'm hugely sympathetic towards number 3 and family, I believe through blind trust that the illness is genuine and I hope her last days are happy for her. BUT if I am entitled to something I want it regardless of other people's circumstances, you won't make me feel guilty for sueing a dying woman should it come to that, I have my own family to look out for and that's what I'm doing, regardless of other people's issues
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jaff. wrote: »
    As I dont fully trust solicitors I thought I'd ask advice from someone who has been through similar before (welshwolfs thread) for advice. Then I was told to start another thread which I have.

I would personally accept the advice of a trained professional rather than anonymous posts on an internet forum.

Sometimes in life you have to trust people.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

... BUT if I am entitled to something I want it regardless of other people's circumstances, you won't make me feel guilty for sueing a dying woman should it come to that, I have my own family to look out for and that's what I'm doing, regardless of other people's issues

Blimey! You're hard.
    I really, truly hope that you never find yourself in No.3's position. It will make a few weeks delay looks like nothing at all.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Jaff.
    Options
    Great, thanks for the help.

Like I said, you won't make me feel guilty. I hope I never end up in her position too but it still doesn't change the facts.

I think everyone on here is focusing too much on the cancer tbh so I'm not going to be getting any help.

At the end of the day they've breached contract, they may even be bluffing with the illness who knows? At the end of the day I'm looking out for number 1 for a change. Take the cancer element out of this story and I guarantee attitudes would be different.

Ill look for advice elsewhere. Thanks
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    rather be you than her. youve lost a little shes lost alot . Health is wealth

This ^^^^^

Yours, unfortunately (and I don't mean to sound harsh) is a *1st world problem* and one you will overcome, whilst hers is not :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ....they may even be bluffing with the illness who knows?

Bye then....
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Jaff.
    Options
    How's the view from up on that high horse?
  • pops5588
    pops5588 Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    I am slightly confused Jaff, because you state that Vendor 2 is still happy to sell to you but you now don't want to live there because the market has turned and you believe there are better properties out there for you and your family?

So....surely in the long run, taking the cancer out of the equation, this has worked out well for you? Therefore I'm baffled as to what compensation it is you are looking for...
    First home purchased 09/08/2013
    New job start date 24/03/2014
    Life is slowly slotting into place :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business