EE forcing me into 24 month contract. Help and advice needed

Dear All

I hope you are well.

Basically Orange were contacted me constantly about their Ipad offers. I begrudgingly accepted. However I cancelled the order 24 hours before delivery.

I was not a home on the day of the delivery (19th April) and my relative refused the IPAD but took their 4g EE mobile broadband. I was meant to return the router (it is still sitting at home unopened) but I had a crazy month with other things going on. To my shock money has left my account yesterday for £25.99 with the reference EE & T-Mobile. After spending an hour on the phone yesterday no-one could help me. Orange did not even have a record of an account. However I spoke with EE today and I told them the situation that I don't need the router and want to return it.

To my anger he said you have entered into a contract (despite no paperwork being signed or no correspondence from EE) and that because I have the equipment and it is passed 30 days you will have to pay over £450 to cancel the contract early!!

Is there any way around this? I am so annoyed.I tried cancelling the order ended up with the product and now that I want to return it I have to pay over £450!?

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to make a complaint against EE , possible OFCOM reporting as well.

Thanks

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Got proof of cancellation?
  • adz2010
    adz2010 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Well my relative refused the IPAD and then I contacted them about the router and they text me the returns department number. I totally forgot up calling them up. What a painful and expensive mistake it could turn out to be!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I begrudgingly accepted.

Reads as you entered into a contract .

Then cancelled before delivery >>> where is the proof how did you cancel .
    Why did they deliver after cancellation

30 days passed and basically you did nothing .

jje
  • adz2010
    I called them 24 hours before but the goods were already in transit.

Yes I know 30 days have passed but had mitigating circumstances this month.
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    adz2010 wrote: »
    I called them 24 hours before but the goods were already in transit.

Yes I know 30 days have passed but had mitigating circumstances this month.

No offense but Orange don't care about your mitigating circumstances. If you didn't send the goods back within the allocated time frame it's your own fault I'm afraid.
  • adz2010
    starrybee wrote: »
    No offense but Orange don't care about your mitigating circumstances. If you didn't send the goods back within the allocated time frame it's your own fault I'm afraid.

O dear what a shame. I was praying for some leniency but thats few and far between these days.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forget about the router. Did you or did you not cancel the contract within the required cooling off period?
    Cancelling or sending back the router does not cancel your contract.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • adz2010
    Yes I did cancel well within the period by calling them before the delivery off the goods.

However they are now stating that once I took the router (my sister did not even know what it was!) because I did not return it I am now in a contract. However you do make a good point. I cancelled well before the period and have not even used the machine!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to examine the T&C's then. But I would have thought that all they could charge you for is the router. Which would be less than £50.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • adz2010
    macman wrote: »
    You need to examine the T&C's then. But I would have thought that all they could charge you for is the router. Which would be less than £50.

Will do thanks. I don't mind paying for the equipment (it is still boxed and brand-new but to have a 24 months contract for something I am not going to use is too much.

I dont want any more money leaving my account!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure