191011121315»

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2015 at 11:51PM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    The post you've quoted was discussing holding Vanguard Lifestrategy within ISA/SIPP, so a 0.45% platform fee applies if doing so through HL.

However, there are also platform charges for holding ETFs within ISA or SIPP, capped at £45 (ISA) or £200 (SIPP). If you are holding £100,000 of each ETF as you would need to do direct with Vanguard, I suppose £45 or £200 per year is insignificant, but it could be done elsewhere for no platform fee. Outside of an ISA/SIPP there would be no platform fee, but the trading charges are expensive relative to the £5-6 you could deal for elsewhere and likely zero cost of buying and selling direct with Vanguard.

I didn't realise that, I was talking about taxable investments, but I do also have SIPPS (will be worth over £100k soon) and ISA's (currently worth over £200k) so I might look into that.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,327 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't realise that, I was talking about taxable investments, but I do also have SIPPS (will be worth over £100k soon) and ISA's (currently worth over £200k) so I might look into that.
    It's a bit of an academic point at the moment as Vanguard has so far resisted offering additional wrappers, but even if they did, it would be a bit restrictive compared with a mainstream platform. I can see the attraction for Vanguard Lifestrategy where you might not hold much else. If you are trying to achieve a balanced portfolio of different funds, it could be a lot trickier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure