MSE News: EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts

"Proposals to give more people access to bank accounts have been announced by the European Commission..."
Read the full story:

EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Since the UK banks offer better access to bank accounts than the rest of the EU, and one key point of these proposals is to allow any EU citizen to easily apply for a bank account in any EU country (not necessarily the one they reside in, which is key requirement for most bank accounts today), then I fear the UK banks will end up with all those EU citizens who struggle to get a bank account in their own country.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    Since the UK banks offer better access to bank accounts than the rest of the EU, and one key point of these proposals is to allow any EU citizen to easily apply for a bank account in any EU country (not necessarily the one they reside in, which is key requirement for most bank accounts today), then I fear the UK banks will end up with all those EU citizens who struggle to get a bank account in their own country.

And if they are basic bank accounts with no overdrafts or facilities - what does it matter?
  • Felix_Schalyz
    Felix_Schalyz Posts: 36 Forumite
    EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,825
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.

Erm, this won't actually change anything with regards to the UK market. The proposals are all for things that already happen here.

If anything this brings the rest of Europe up to our standard.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Felix_Schalyz
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Erm, this won't actually change anything with regards to the UK market. The proposals are all for things that already happen here.

If anything this brings the rest of Europe up to our standard.

I understand that I'm just having a Rant about the EUSSR.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

What's that idea got to do with banks?
  • Felix_Schalyz
    redux wrote: »
    What's that idea got to do with banks?

Nothing whatsoever cheers.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Let's all get in touch with our MP's and demand a referendum on the EU before 2015!
  • Felix_Schalyz
    edited 9 May 2013 at 6:59PM
    Let's all get in touch with our MP's and demand a referendum on the EU before 2015!

No we don't want that as I'm looking forward to the EU taking over the world.

The EUSSR are here.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Why?.......................................................

Don't we have many more pressing things our MPS should be doing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure