MSE News: EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
62 replies 5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
"Proposals to give more people access to bank accounts have been announced by the European Commission..."
Read the full story:

EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Since the UK banks offer better access to bank accounts than the rest of the EU, and one key point of these proposals is to allow any EU citizen to easily apply for a bank account in any EU country (not necessarily the one they reside in, which is key requirement for most bank accounts today), then I fear the UK banks will end up with all those EU citizens who struggle to get a bank account in their own country.
  • socratessocrates Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Wywth wrote: »
    Since the UK banks offer better access to bank accounts than the rest of the EU, and one key point of these proposals is to allow any EU citizen to easily apply for a bank account in any EU country (not necessarily the one they reside in, which is key requirement for most bank accounts today), then I fear the UK banks will end up with all those EU citizens who struggle to get a bank account in their own country.

And if they are basic bank accounts with no overdrafts or facilities - what does it matter?
  • EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.

Erm, this won't actually change anything with regards to the UK market. The proposals are all for things that already happen here.

If anything this brings the rest of Europe up to our standard.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Erm, this won't actually change anything with regards to the UK market. The proposals are all for things that already happen here.

If anything this brings the rest of Europe up to our standard.

I understand that I'm just having a Rant about the EUSSR.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.

What's that idea got to do with banks?
  • redux wrote: »
    What's that idea got to do with banks?

Nothing whatsoever cheers.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's all get in touch with our MP's and demand a referendum on the EU before 2015!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • edited 9 May 2013 at 7:59PM
    Felix_SchalyzFelix_Schalyz Forumite
    36 posts
    edited 9 May 2013 at 7:59PM
    Let's all get in touch with our MP's and demand a referendum on the EU before 2015!

No we don't want that as I'm looking forward to the EU taking over the world.

The EUSSR are here.
  • innovateinnovate
    16.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?.......................................................

Don't we have many more pressing things our MPS should be doing?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support