Account in credit - can I cancel direct debit

edited 27 April 2013 at 5:53AM in Water Bills
2 replies 753 views
keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
4.7K Posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 27 April 2013 at 5:53AM in Water Bills
Ok, have had my water bill in and it's in credit for the first time! woo hoo! ...it used to be one of the favourite d/d to cancel when I use to be in debt and money was tight, the convo's back then of "oh I must have accidentally cancelled this direct debit..." can I re-set malarky must have been quite funny! :o

Question now unemployed can I cancel the direct debit even if for a couple of months whilst it is in the black? or should I call up Anglian Water and ask them to re-look at direct debit figure? see if it can be lowered, as I've been overpaying to land up with credit?

Thanks for any advice

Re Joined Slimming Word in group 02/06/21   ..   Want to lose every week! 6 lbs gone to date

Replies

• sithmastersithmaster Forumite
    278 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    first how much credit?
    some company's will refund any credit over £150 but the better option is to have them look at you dd amount and change as needed
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A credit on a metered water bill is not really 'valid' untill your meter has been read.

For instance I might have my meter read in, say, March and my account balance be zero. I then pay, say, £40 a month by DD. By September I will appear to be £240 in credit. However that is meaningless until my meter is read(or estimated) and I could be in debit.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals