Account in credit - can I cancel direct debit

edited 27 April 2013 at 5:53AM in Water Bills
2 replies 753 views
keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
4.7K Posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 27 April 2013 at 5:53AM in Water Bills
Ok, have had my water bill in and it's in credit for the first time! woo hoo! ...it used to be one of the favourite d/d to cancel when I use to be in debt and money was tight, the convo's back then of "oh I must have accidentally cancelled this direct debit..." can I re-set malarky must have been quite funny! :o

Question now unemployed can I cancel the direct debit even if for a couple of months whilst it is in the black? or should I call up Anglian Water and ask them to re-look at direct debit figure? see if it can be lowered, as I've been overpaying to land up with credit?

Thanks for any advice

Replies

• sithmastersithmaster Forumite
    280 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    first how much credit?
    some company's will refund any credit over £150 but the better option is to have them look at you dd amount and change as needed
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A credit on a metered water bill is not really 'valid' untill your meter has been read.

For instance I might have my meter read in, say, March and my account balance be zero. I then pay, say, £40 a month by DD. By September I will appear to be £240 in credit. However that is meaningless until my meter is read(or estimated) and I could be in debit.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals