Prices for Howdens kitchen units

Options

Comments

• slapdashcrewe
    Options
    Been looking around for an kitchen for around 2 years,Different companies with hard sell and commission prices.Signed up for a trade account with Howdens and never looked back.They measured up,no hard sell and got back to me with the price.All the units were made up and saved loads of time.Top quality materials and the services matches it.Really pleased with the kitchen,cheers Howdens definitely recommend.
  • newkitchenfund
    Options
    I understand why they don't publish prices to the public but it's a pain! I want to replace my kitchen and extend it but have to get a builder on board first before I can cost out the units. I can't decide what builder to use and what appliances, flooring etc I can afford until I know how much the units will set me back. You can still visit your local trade branch as a member of the public though, they just won't sell you anything!!
    that said, it seems they are excellent value from what everyone has said here. Also they are MADE IN ENGLAND!!! (either in Yorkshire or just down the road from us in Runcorn). The excellent service everyone has got re. missing /extra parts needed is also important - I reckon having a new kitchen is more stressful than moving house, having done both several times.
  • sodamnfunky
    sodamnfunky Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    Options
    Remember that Howdens 'list' price for the units is scandalous. I get anything from 70-80% off the units and worktops, and there is always room to negotiate the price with the branch.

The beauty of their product from an installers point of view is the units are delivered ready made, so no messing about putting units together.

Also remember when getting a fitting quote that installing a kitchen is one of the easiest jobs in the world for a proper tradesman. I regularly get asked how long to fit this, and come back with 3-4 days and they have been quoted 3 weeks.:eek:
  • benji1
    Options
    Hi there :A
    I work for B&Q, just to clarify B&Q sell 2 kitchen ranges IT and Cooke and Lewis, IT is broadly similar in quality to howdens with a mixture of 16 and 19mm (side and shelf) componants to the carcass and a limited range of cabinet sizes to keep costs down Cooke and Lewis is superior quality 18mm with ridid 8mm backs and is aimed at the independent side of the market. Both are flat packed but Cooke and Lewis is easier to assemble.
    Core prices dont change much with doors rotating between being 1/2 price and full price (but only doors), but there is often an overlay discount of 15% off everything you purchase or a interest free credit option (but only one or the other).
    Be warned many fitters will push Howdens as the price you see and the price they pay can mean that they will pocket the difference :mad:
    if anyone has any questions about B&Q's products and services please ask,
    wishing you all a stress free kitchen :T
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2010 at 11:32PM
    Options
    benji1 wrote: »
    Hi there :A
    I work for B&Q, just to clarify B&Q sell 2 kitchen ranges IT and Cooke and Lewis, IT is broadly similar in quality to howdens with a mixture of 16 and 19mm (side and shelf) componants to the carcass and a limited range of cabinet sizes to keep costs down Cooke and Lewis is superior quality 18mm with ridid 8mm backs and is aimed at the independent side of the market. Both are flat packed but Cooke and Lewis is easier to assemble.
    Core prices dont change much with doors rotating between being 1/2 price and full price (but only doors), but there is often an overlay discount of 15% off everything you purchase or a interest free credit option (but only one or the other).
    Be warned many fitters will push Howdens as the price you see and the price they pay can mean that they will pocket the difference :mad:
    if anyone has any questions about B&Q's products and services please ask,
    wishing you all a stress free kitchen :T

Howdens units are nothing like B&Q IT units. I do buy and am very familiar with both but the IT is inferior. Howdens would be more on a par with Cooke & Lewis, very similar feel and almost identical doors on many ranges - but cheaper! IT is cheaper again. IT goes in my cheaper properties, Howdens in the more expensive ones.

In my own house I have a John Lewis kitchen, a Howdens utility and an IT bathroom (kitchen units used as bathroom units = cheaper, better and wider choice of unit sizes and door ranges ;))

I dislike the lack of transparency in Howdens pricing but B&Q can hardly claim to be whiter than white in this area when you can pay 4 times more for a kitchen door than you would have paid the week before (been there) and sales shift around constantly - doors, units, ranges, differing amounts, prices doubling in order to be able to bring them down to half price which was the same price as full price two months ago! No one can keep up with that.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Yooj_2
    Yooj_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    ... and an IT bathroom (kitchen units used as bathroom units = cheaper, better and wider choice of unit sizes and door ranges ;))...

What a great tip! :j

Yooj
  • Jeannine
    Jeannine Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just for info -I'm having a Howdens kitchen fitted at the moment (Burford Cream) and the units are definitely 18mm..
  • richard.bacon
    Options
    i did come accross some nice Howdens kitchen units at, cheapkitchensunits.com, they had a pretty nice selection too may be worth a try :cool:
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Richard, that website doesn't look very authentic?
  • trumpton
    trumpton Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    I just came across this thread as I was googling Howden kitchen prices. Lots of recommendations, but quite a few from people who seem to have registered on MSE just to praise Howdens and then never posted again. I'm always a bit suspicious of that.

Our builder has recommended we have a look at Howdens. I think the advantage is they come ready built, which saves a lot of time. Our builder is great, but I can see that there is opportunity for the fitter not to pass on the full discount to the customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure