webuyanycar.com

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    loftgroovv wrote: »

Do you care to provide some counter-evidence then of examples where someone has e.g. got a £5,000 quote on the website, taken it along, and then actually being given £5,000 for sale?

Yup - heres 5 - any who didnt get the full price got within a few £'s of what they were quoted online, and all happy with webuyanycar.com. Interesting that some even got more than at other dealers.
    stugib wrote: »

So tried the site and got offered £5550 offer online, without entering any damage (as there wasn't anything obvious I knew about). Took it into the Peterborough office and everything was very open about how much they'd take off for each bit of damage (e.g. scratch £100, minor dent £50). He took a look and offered me £5400 for it because of a couple of minor dents he found. Didn't bother to haggle as I was trying to keep a straight face for 'making' £400 above the nearest best offer I'd had whilst avoiding the hassle of selling privately. Money arrived as promised 4 days later.

All in all very impressed with my dealings with them.

Have now sold 2 7 series bmws through these guys in essex.

Reasonable price.

Payment received in 4 days by bacs transfer.

I got what I wanted from them, they only knocked me down 60 quid from £810 => £750. Money took 4 days to clear.

Fine by me espec. for cars worth < a grand where seller (me!) can't be bothered to advertise the heap. Especially when the car looks shiny but has a good few faults under the hood.
    hipha wrote: »

Trade price according to whatcar was 14,210. Webuyanycar quoted me 14,260 and I arranged an appointment. After pressure I got him up to 14,050 which I accepted. I paid for the money to be transferred via CHAPS at a cost of £24 and the money arrived the next day.

A positive ... experience

although I got nearly 2K more than a dealer was willing to give me for it in part ex for a different new model.

All in all an easy transaction and a very good price obtained!
  • motorguy
    Options

I’m actually not complaining about them in general, merely the fact that they obviously employ a tactic of offering a fat price on their website (with a car described accurately) and then a lower price when you’ve taken the trouble to go there.

Any of the quotes i've shown demonstrate that with the right car they come very close to the quoted price on the website, and where they dont it does seem to be when the car isnt as described, eg, a 'few small dents'. I would be surprised if you could find any trade buyer who would quote you over the phone / internet sight unseen and then give you exactly that amount without trying to get it for a bit less.

All I am trying to say is…. why didn’t their website just say “we value your car at £100” in the first place…rather than say they value it at £240?

You still havent said exactly what their basis was for not giving you £240. Also, by your own admission, you didnt try to negotiate with them. I'd say you could have got to £150, which would then have been 7.5 times what you thought it was worth....
  • sallyc1971
    Options
    I promised the guy I dealt with at webuyanycar that if I was happy with the outcome of my dealings with the company, I would post a review of my experience as I'd read some very negative reviews.

I requested a quote after seeing the advert on the television. We were given a quote for 6,100 for our Honda CRV which seemed reasonable (car was in very good condition). I warned my husband that I'd read that they rarely give you that price.

We turned up at, what can only be described as a derelict building. It was on an industrial estate and he and the security guard were the only people there. It all seemed really dodgey to say the least. They guy who greeted us was not exactly reassuring either.

He looked at the car and started mumbling things about extra paint on the car. Our car had only been used by Honda and ourselves so we felt we knew the history of it. We thought here goes this is the start of him knocking down the price. We were right to an extent he knocked £400 off the price explaining that the price we received on line was for mint condition and then they take it from there. I have to say we were happy with that all things considered. We were then given the option to have the money paid into our bank within 3-5 days (no charge) or pay for CHAPS which meant it would go into out bank the next day which we opted for.

We then walked away from our car leaving all the documentation and keys with this guy and hoped that the money would be in the bank the next day. The whole experience made me feel very uneasy I have to admit.

Anyway, on the Wednesday as promised the money was in our bank and we can't believe how hassle-free the whole experience was and enabled us to go out and buy a new car with money in our pockets to negotiate with! Happy days!
  • Clare68
    Clare68 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 August 2009 at 11:52AM
    Options
    I sold my car to wewillbuyyourcar, a different online site, like most of the threads they inspect the car and will adjust the price if required, my own price was reduced by £100 for low tyres, though they did offer to let me replace them and return later, I couldn't be bothered.

The difference is this happened on my doorstep, I felt more comfortable and avoided the hassle and worry of the situation described above, they also transferred the money to my account - at no charge, before the driver had left with my car.

This really was a 'hassle-free experience' completed in the comfort of my own home.
  • mhensley
    Options
    balsingh wrote: »
    They're a complete waste of time. Even if they make you a reasonable offer on the website, it isnt a guarantee. They can still turn around and offer you less or even say they don't want the car when you turn up with it.

I got a decent quote on a non-runner but when I got it towed there, the offered me a lot less so I ended up getting it towed back home. Managed to sell it on eBay for the same price as what they initially offered me.
    My advice to anyone is to NEVER use WeBuyAnyCar.com or in fact use CarCraft as prices are extortionately high and you have little chance of getting the price quoted online from WeBuyAnyCar.

I had a Honda Accord (2000 V Reg) which I was told would fail its MOT on emissions, so I thought I would see what WeBuyAnyCar would offer. I said it had No MOT and car was in poor mechanical condition I also pointed out that the bumper had dents but said there was no other damage, got quoted £400. As car had no MOT had to get it towed there. On inspection was told the bumper had been filled poorly and there was a dent (less than the size of a penny) on the bonnet.

Based on those two issues they quoted me £100! they said they would need to respray the bumper (how many 9 year old cars have not one marking on them and who would go to the trouble of respraying a bumper on a nine year old car!)

Managed to get them upto £200. I am sure even if you meticulously made a note of every little minor scuff on a car they would still find reason to mark it down.
  • postmanpat68
    Options
    I put my car details in their system peugeot 02. 307sw fsh, 71000miles, v good condition and they quote me £2225. what a bunch of jokers as local dealer offered me £3000. i'm laughing all the way to the bank.
    EX POSTIE.
  • andymac100
    Options
    I have just finished selling my 2001 Audi A4 to webuyanycar. It was in spotless condition. It only went to them because I was after sweapping it for a car of similar value so I was being offered only about £2500 for it. webuyanycar quoted £3200 as a price. When I arrived, the chap looked it over and used a paint depth guage on it. He said the front end had once been re-sprayed, which it had. The paint work was to a very high quality standard and was mirror smooth, much better than an 80,000 mile car has any right to be. He said that was a big problem and reviewed his price to £2800. It lost £400 in value because of this. We eventually agreed on a price of £3000, plus their fee of £29.99.

In addition they remove from whatever price they pay the cost of the tax disc. This isn't asked on the original appraisal, so I'd suggest only use webuyanycar when the tax disc is almost expired. In total after they have removed, fees and tax disc refund costs I was left with £2912.50.

The car will be retailed at £3700 (the salesman left this figure on his print out on his desk.)

So they will make nearly £800.

My advice, take any valuation with a pinch of salt and try and sell privately. I didn't wnat to because of the hassle and time invloved, but if you can, it'd be a much better option.
  • postmanpat68
    Options
    andymac100 wrote: »
    I have just finished selling my 2001 Audi A4 to webuyanycar. It was in spotless condition. It only went to them because I was after sweapping it for a car of similar value so I was being offered only about £2500 for it. webuyanycar quoted £3200 as a price. When I arrived, the chap looked it over and used a paint depth guage on it. He said the front end had once been re-sprayed, which it had. The paint work was to a very high quality standard and was mirror smooth, much better than an 80,000 mile car has any right to be. He said that was a big problem and reviewed his price to £2800. It lost £400 in value because of this. We eventually agreed on a price of £3000, plus their fee of £29.99.

In addition they remove from whatever price they pay the cost of the tax disc. This isn't asked on the original appraisal, so I'd suggest only use webuyanycar when the tax disc is almost expired. In total after they have removed, fees and tax disc refund costs I was left with £2912.50.

The car will be retailed at £3700 (the salesman left this figure on his print out on his desk.)

My advice, take any valuation with a pinch of salt and try and sell privately. I didn't wnat to because of the hassle and time invloved, but if you can, it'd be a much better option.

Another 1st time poster praising this firm??. looks like their staff have too much time on their hands.
    EX POSTIE.
  • motorguy
    Options
    I put my car details in their system peugeot 02. 307sw fsh, 71000miles, v good condition and they quote me £2225. what a bunch of jokers as local dealer offered me £3000. i'm laughing all the way to the bank.

How much discount would your local dealer have given you without a trade in though?
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Another 1st time poster praising this firm??. looks like their staff have too much time on their hands.
    :confused: Suggest you re-read!
    andymac100 wrote: »
    Did it surprise you they're a business making money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure