Royal Mail Special Delivery Loses 3 of our Passports!

Options
Wonder if anyone can provide some advice please
Last Tuesday 26th March – we sent x3 Passports SPECIAL DELIVERY with Compensation upto £500 to a Travel Agency for our travel in a few weeks time
With SD Believe its next day Guaranteed before 1pm
One week and so later Travel agent has not received passports, so we checked on royal mail Track and Trace system and it says
Item xxxxx was posted at xxxx on 26/03/13 and is being progressed through our network for delivery.

We Rang royal mail the other day and they said give it another week and if we its not received then they will have to pass it off as Lost

Now problem is We cant afford to wait around for another week as we are travelling week after next and we need to get Visas and other stuff
sorted out!

Can anyone advise what the best course of action would be?
Obv getting a replacement passport we will need to wait min one week as it’s a lost passport and once we get that we need to apply for Visa which will have a few more days on top!

With regards to Royal Mail could I claim compensation from them

Any ideas or suggestions what to do?

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine you should concentrate on getting your holiday sorted.

So talk to the passport office and the country's consul/embassy that you are visiting and workout a timeline for dates when you need to action things.

In the meantime read up thoroughly the SD terms and conditions and keep the pressure on them, try to get as far up the tree as you need to so someone takes ownership of the problem.

Unless the passports turn up I very much doubt this will be sorted before you go so if it was me I would be leaving most until I returned home. Probably best to get something in writing off to them so they can't deny the dates etc later on.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So it may not have left the post office after they scanned the label .
    Given the seriousness of the situation, that would be a good place to start.
    Be happy...;)
  • whoimi
    whoimi Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    So it may not have left the post office after they scanned the label .
    Given the seriousness of the situation, that would be a good place to start.
    Thanks,
    Yeh we popped over to the original post office we sent it they said it got collected and went through

The issue we have at the moment is we are due to fly out on the 17th of March

When we rang RM about this they said we need to wait 10 days for it to be classed as lost and 10 days would be next week which will then leave 6 days left!!! till we fly

So wondering whether we should just report the passport as lost / stolen via Passport office - apply for new one which will take another week then sort the visas out too

then deal with all the compensation stuff later - but it just means more expenses unfortunately for us :( having to to fork out £103 x 3 = £309 for new set off passports! visa forms photos etc etc!

and if they do turn up then we end up loss!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    whoimi wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone can provide some advice please
    Last Tuesday 26th March – we sent x3 Passports SPECIAL DELIVERY with Compensation upto £500 to a Travel Agency for our travel in a few weeks time
    With SD Believe its next day Guaranteed before 1pm
    One week and so later Travel agent has not received passports, so we checked on royal mail Track and Trace system and it says
    Item xxxxx was posted at xxxx on 26/03/13 and is being progressed through our network for delivery.

We Rang royal mail the other day and they said give it another week and if we its not received then they will have to pass it off as Lost

Now problem is We cant afford to wait around for another week as we are travelling week after next and we need to get Visas and other stuff
    sorted out!

Can anyone advise what the best course of action would be?
    Obv getting a replacement passport we will need to wait min one week as it’s a lost passport and once we get that we need to apply for Visa which will have a few more days on top!

With regards to Royal Mail could I claim compensation from them

Any ideas or suggestions what to do?

You can claim for the cost of the passports but nothing else unless you paid for consequential loss
    does tracking here give further info?

http://www.royalmail.com/trackdetails
  • whoimi
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    You can claim for the cost of the passports but nothing else unless you paid for consequential loss

All Track Details Say is:

26/03/1311:25ACCEPTED AT POL

(Thanks for that link btw) i was using the other track-trace link did not know about that one!
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When we rang RM about this they said we need to wait 10 days for it to be classed as lost and 10 days would be next week which will then leave 6 days left!!! till we fly

After which they will point you towards their claim forms. Sounds like they've already resigned all interest in your package.
  • whoimi
    Options
    custardy wrote: »

If for example i decided to go ahead and get 3 new passports and paid for it and it does not turn up within the 10 day waiting period i guess i can claim compensation for the X3 Passport

However it if decides to turn up on day 9 for example then would i still be able to to claim compensation for late delivery even?

because my issue is that because so little time if i go ahead and buy 3 new passports and suddenly it turns up on day 9 or 10 then not sure if i can claim anything????but then again cant afford to wait for th is and if it does turn up and passports arrive then i may lose money for paying for new passports

so bit of a tricky situation here if you get me!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If for example i decided to go ahead and get 3 new passports and paid for it and it does not turn up within the 10 day waiting period i guess i can claim compensation for the X3 Passport

However it if decides to turn up on day 9 for example then would i still be able to to claim compensation for late delivery even?

because my issue is that because so little time if i go ahead and buy 3 new passports and suddenly it turns up on day 9 or 10 then not sure if i can claim anything????but then again cant afford to wait for th is and if it does turn up and passports arrive then i may lose money for paying for new passports

so bit of a tricky situation here if you get me!

late delivery would only entitle you to a refund on postage
    again that falls under consequential loss
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    The issue we have at the moment is we are due to fly out on the 17th of March

I presume you mean April.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally what I would do is as someone else mentioned, check the latest you can get a replacement passport and visa.

A few days beforehand if the passports had still not been located by Royal Mail, I would purchase replacement passports and visas.

If for some strange reason Royal Mail did find them before calling them lost and refused compensation, I would start small claims court proceedings against them for the costs of the replacement passports and visas.

Not saying its right, but its what I would do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure