PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Continuing saga of my spiteful landlord

Hi All

So the saga continues ! :mad:

After offering 3 months rent upfront to end the remaining 6 months of a 12 month AST early, my LL has informed me that he does not wish to take up my cash offer.

I have offered everything under the sun to the LL in an attempt to end this agreement, and for him to secure a new tenant, paid for by yours truly, but to no avail. I am moving over 160 miles away (for my job) and I'm expected to stump up for his buildings insurance ! as it breaks the clause of the property being empty for more than 14 days, I'm expected to return to cut the lawn and expected to keep the house ventilated and warm (incurring utility charges) in the process. If I fail to carry out any of the above, he'll see me in Court.

I've tried the damage limitation methods and they simply don't work !

Is there ANY Law or Section that protects the tenant when tenant is attempting to reduce mitigating losses ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• tim123456789
    tim123456789 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nope,

If he doesn't want to accept early surrender there's nothing that you can do to force him
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Its your circumstances that have changed, not his.
    Im surprised he hasnt bitten your hand off but he hasnt so you have to deal with it.

Im not sure why you have to pay for his insurance - does your agreement say you have to be living in the property or cant spent more than x nights away? If not then thats his bad luck.
    Also why do you have to cut the grass? Does that form part of the agreements?

If not tell him your not doing either of those but you will pay the rent as agreed OR he can accept your offer and terminate your agreement.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • sussexchick
    sussexchick Posts: 214 Forumite
    ACG wrote: »
    Its your circumstances that have changed, not his.
    Im surprised he hasnt bitten your hand off but he hasnt so you have to deal with it.

Im not sure why you have to pay for his insurance - does your agreement say you have to be living in the property or cant spent more than x nights away? If not then thats his bad luck.
    Also why do you have to cut the grass? Does that form part of the agreements?

If not tell him your not doing either of those but you will pay the rent as agreed OR he can accept your offer and terminate your agreement.

I've checked the AST and it states that the lawns must be cut during the summer months, borders to be kept clean and tidy, weeded etc and property must not be left unattended for more than 14 days.

The porch roof leaks and the steps are dangerous too. So when it freezes, the front door step becomes an ice rink. He's asked me to repair it !
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    ouch, seems like his contract is pretty tight.
    Tell him your not repairing it, its his house and that is not something you would reasonably be expected to repair and you would gladly go to court if he tries that one on.

As for the rest, sorry but i think your stuck. Its covered off in the contract. Im guessing you cant sublet it? I think you may have to put this down as an expensive lesson to read what your signing and not expect people will back down if you change your mind. Im surprised he hasnt as im sure most other landlords would but you cant expect it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    If you only have to mow in the summer months then I would point out that this starts 21st June and you will start mowing on that date weather permitting.

Can you not advertise for another tenant? (Sorry haven't read previous thread).
  • sussexchick
    sussexchick Posts: 214 Forumite
    ACG wrote: »
    ouch, seems like his contract is pretty tight.
    Tell him your not repairing it, its his house and that is not something you would reasonably be expected to repair and you would gladly go to court if he tries that one on.

As for the rest, sorry but i think your stuck. Its covered off in the contract. Im guessing you cant sublet it? I think you may have to put this down as an expensive lesson to read what your signing and not expect people will back down if you change your mind. Im surprised he hasnt as im sure most other landlords would but you cant expect it.

The AST is stacked very heavily in his favour. My obligations are 4 pages long, his is 1/4 of a page !

May my mistake be a very valuable lesson to anyone signing an AST - read it, read it, read it ! As I think with many tenants that need to move in fast and desperate circumstances, there are always the downright unscrupulous landlords out there waiting in the wings to snare an unsuspecting victim.

Worse thing about it all ? - the house is actually vile !
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about your LL being so uncooperative.

Have read your previous threads about this and just wanted to check that the landlord has registered your deposit in a Deposit protection scheme and you did receive the correct information about this.

If your deposit hasn't been registered and/or you didn't receive the prescribed information then you could take LL to court and win 3 times the deposit.

Apologies if you did answer about this - couldn't find it. Just wanted to see if you had any leverage on the LL. (just by threatening the court action.) Don't usually say this but although the LL is legally entitled to hold you to the contract I think he is being very unsympathetic and pure blo*dy minded particularly since you have offered him a very generous sweetener.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    The AST is stacked very heavily in his favour. My obligations are 4 pages long, his is 1/4 of a page !

May my mistake be a very valuable lesson to anyone signing an AST - read it, read it, read it ! As I think with many tenants that need to move in fast and desperate circumstances, there are always the downright unscrupulous landlords out there waiting in the wings to snare an unsuspecting victim.

Worse thing about it all ? - the house is actually vile !

Might be worth going to a solicitor and seeing if the contract actually stands up as it may have unfair clauses in it, especially if its so far weighted in his favour.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March 2013 at 6:50PM
    I am going to put up this suggestion and see what others think.

This came to mind mainly because of the clause about not leaving the property empty for longer than.....................

What if I just walk away?

Walking away or posting the keys through the letterbox is called 'abandonment' and will not end your agreement. Your agreement with the landlord will continue even though you've left and the landlord can continue to charge you rent, so you're likely to build up rent arrears. If your agreement is fixed-term, you can be charged rent until the term ends.
    The landlord can apply for a court order to make you pay what you owe. The court will decide whether you should have to pay your landlord the money or not. If the landlord has managed to let out the property they can't claim rent from you after the new tenant moved in.
    Doing a runner may also make it harder for you to find a new home. Most private landlords ask new tenants for references from previous landlords and are not keen to rent to anyone who has abandoned a tenancy or licence in the past or has a history of rent arrears. (Shelter)

If you did walk away the LL may be forced to get a new tenant because of the clause in his insurance policy. He could not receive 2 lots of rent. Therefore you would only be liable for his 'losses' which you would pay (having already offered more than that)

Now, possible problems might be his taking you to court but if you have everything well documented it might be considered that the LL was being 'unreasonable' in the circumstances.

Of course it might go the opposite way.

Mmmmm what do others think!

Personally I wouldn't be giving up the offer of a job in todays 'climate'.

Just one more thought - have you spoken to your new employer and appraised him of the situation - perhaps they would be willing to offer some financial help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure