PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Continuing saga of my spiteful landlord

Options

Comments

• ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My final offer before locking up and leaving would be mediation. There must be a voluntary mediation charity near you.

I would offer it as a final olive branch.

Then I would go, I don't believe he has a great chance of getting a judgement against you.

You need to move on, redirect your mail, clean the house and go. You of course won't get your deposit back but then you won't be paying rent to him either.

Save what you can while you wait for the consequences, you will not be worse off than if you pay the rent.

JUST GO!!!!!!
  • sussexchick
    sussexchick Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    My final offer before locking up and leaving would be mediation. There must be a voluntary mediation charity near you.

I would offer it as a final olive branch.

Then I would go, I don't believe he has a great chance of getting a judgement against you.

You need to move on, redirect your mail, clean the house and go. You of course won't get your deposit back but then you won't be paying rent to him either.

Save what you can while you wait for the consequences, you will not be worse off than if you pay the rent.

JUST GO!!!!!!

This is an excellent idea - would it be worth getting the LA to do this on our behalf do you think ?

The mail divert is already set-up, the house is half cleaned, all utilities have been notified and the contents insurance is set in place for the move.

Its the council tax that's causing major problems as they are insisting that this is paid for the remainder of the tenancy
  • ognum
    Options
    My final email to him

Dear X

I have for the past few weeks tried many times to come to an arrangement with you regarding the tenancy of ..... As you are aware I have been given a choice of redundancy or redeployment. In the current economic climate I simply cannot refuse redeployment.

I have offered to pay until you find a tenant, I have offered x months rent in order that I give you a fair and reasonable settlement for my leaving the tenancy early.

It is simply impossible for me to work and live in your property, if I do not work I cannot pay the rent! I would like to offer you the opportunity to go to mediation in order for us to find an mutually agreeable settlement.

I am afraid if this is not possible I will be ceasing payment of rent and quiting the property on ........... I am sorry this has been the only avenue that you have given me. I will return the keys to you on this day, if you are not available I will post them back through the letterbox as I leave.

I look forward to hearing from you
  • ognum
    Options
    Phone the council and tell the, you are no longer the tenant!
  • SternMusik
    SternMusik Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    The mail divert is already set-up, the house is half cleaned, all utilities have been notified and the contents insurance is set in place for the move.

Its the council tax that's causing major problems as they are insisting that this is paid for the remainder of the tenancy

Don't forget to take pictures when you leave! With a newspaper in it or something, to prove the date.

Re council tax: Could you claim a discount for an empty property? I believe some councils have this still in place.

I had an overlap with my former rental property a year ago when I bought my house. The council gave me a discount on one of the properties (but it was only for a couple of weeks or so).
  • sussexchick
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    My final email to him

Dear X

I have for the past few weeks tried many times to come to an arrangement with you regarding the tenancy of ..... As you are aware I have been given a choice of redundancy or redeployment. In the current economic climate I simply cannot refuse redeployment.

I have offered to pay until you find a tenant, I have offered x months rent in order that I give you a fair and reasonable settlement for my leaving the tenancy early.

It is simply impossible for me to work and live in your property, if I do not work I cannot pay the rent! I would like to offer you the opportunity to go to mediation in order for us to find an mutually agreeable settlement.

I am afraid if this is not possible I will be ceasing payment of rent and quiting the property on ........... I am sorry this has been the only avenue that you have given me. I will return the keys to you on this day, if you are not available I will post them back through the letterbox as I leave.

I look forward to hearing from you

Might also add some other wording suggestions by other posters. Many thanks for your advice and input - much appreciated x
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    Something along the lines of.

While I appreciate your difficulties with not wanting an empty tenancy I do hope you can appreciate my own difficulties. I am not able to turn down a job offer in this current economic climate. Unfortunately I am not able to maintain two households until October due to time and financial constraints. I am still willing to offer 3 months rent in return for you allowing me to break our contract early or I am willing to go into mediation if you feel this will help. If neither option is agreeable to you then I'm afraid that we will have to go down the inconvenience of the legal route and allow a judge to decide how much, if anything, I would owe you and at what rate it would be fair for me to pay you back. Obviously I would want any proceedings to be heard at a location convenient to where I live currently and it would mean that I would be giving notice to you that your house will be lying empty from the date of my last rental payment on xx/xx/xxxx."

Personally though I'd not respond and I'd pay for a solicitors letter saying much the same as above - pay for it to go by signed for next day (recorded isn't guaranteed).
  • SternMusik
    SternMusik Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    Might also add some other wording suggestions by other posters. Many thanks for your advice and input - much appreciated x

Is a lettings agency involved in the management of the property? If so you could offer to arrange a proper checkout with them (paid for by yourself), and hand back the keys to the agent.
  • ognum
    Options
    Should have said write to council and keep copy.

of course make the email/letter (always send hard copy) your own. hope it works!
  • sussexchick
    Options
    Do you think it would also be wrong and childish of me to pee on the carpet before I leave !

(sorry but I'm trying to cheer myself up)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure