Virgin Mobile Tethering Iphone 4 to Mini Ipad

Options
I currently have a sim only deal from Virgin with 1gb data per month. Am looking at purchasing a wi-fi only Ipad mini and was wondering if I could tether phone to Ipad. Unsure as to whether this would come out of my current usage or if I would have to pay any additional charges or indeed if Virgin allow this.
Any advice would be great please.
Jan Grocery challenge
Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tether what handset? You have to appreciate the readers are not mind telepathic :o
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Tether what handset? You have to appreciate the readers are not mind telepathic :o
    Iphone 4 as per title?
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Virgin don't allow tethering
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Iphone 4 as per title?

Ah yes, just noticed now that you have pointed it out.
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Virgin don't allow tethering

True, however it is more the handset that will create the block on tethering, android handsets (well some of them) simply share the data access, that said the networks may notice due to the data useage, but feature phone to tablet the data usage maybe about the same.
  • chocolatepennyfarthing
    Options
    May have to really think now if 3g may be better then. Bit of a shame as tied in with Virgin so don't think there are other options.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    I have an iPhone 4 and used to tether with my iPad but now I have changed to virgin and there is no option to create a wifi hot spot in the settings menu
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    May have to really think now if 3g may be better then. Bit of a shame as tied in with Virgin so don't think there are other options.

I don't think iPad minis have a 3G option? Just the regular iPads....

Edit / just checked and I'm wrong, ignore me!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You could always jailbreak the iPhone and use one of the tethering apps in Cydia, they utilise the normal phone APN and appear as normal mobile usage to the network.
    ====
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    Officially you can't tether. O2, Voda, Giff Gaff allow tethering from your inclusive allowance without having to buy a bolt on. Only Three allow unlimited data and unlimited tethering.

However, that's not to say there are ways around it such as the method suggested above. Just be aware that it's against T&C and that Virgin have the right to stop you tethering at any time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure