Talkmobile increase contract monthly charge

Options
lef
lef Posts: 8 Forumite
I have a 24 month contract with Talkmobile, and I've just received the following text message:

"A small inflationary increase of 30p will apply to your monthly charge from your June bill. Your new monthly charge will be £16.30. This charge does not affect your inclusive allowances. See talkmobile.co.uk/junepricing for more details."

Visiting the website shows a little more information along with the following footnote:

"Section 8.8 of your contract stipulates: Your right to end this Agreement set out in Clause 8.7 does not apply if the increase to the Charges made under Clause 8.7.3 (calculated as a percentage) is no more than the increase in the Retail Prices Index Figure ("RPI", also calculated as a percentage) for the period from the month of the last increase (if any) to the month before we send you notice of the change."

As I understand it the law protects consumers from a provider changing the terms of their contract (i.e by changing the cost), by releasing the consumer from the contract if the provider does so. Does clause 8.8 really enable the provider to override this protection?

At the end of the day I'm not too fussed as it's a piddling amount of money. It's more the principle of the matter.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport