PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• lizalloareds
    lizalloareds Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    spends today £5.65

£2.26 Mr T
    £1.39 FF
    £2 Icelan*

sig updated
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2013 at 7:31PM
    Spends today
    £2 on 2 x 2l 1% milk
    96p on 120g haslet for boy 1 sandwiches for the rest of the week
    £5.76 on F&V (carrots, cucumber, onions, apples, broccoli and celery), pasta, toast bread and peanuts (for faddy boy 2 protein) in Aldi, super 6 have changed which makes potatoes expensive.

Tonight I scraped the chicken carcass, froze 4 tiny bags of scraps for pizza and then used the last dregs for pasta bake with the crispy cooking bacon from yesterday - passata, onion and celery for the bottom half, white sauce and some cheddar crumbs for the top half. Last bit for my work lunch tomorrow. I hate pasta :( but this was ok.

Stock made in the pressure cooker with the carcass and one from the freezer. Into the freezer for another day. I sometimes wonder if it is worth it when basic stock cubes are 15p/10.

All the buns are gone but tonight I am too tired to bake, let them eat basic bourbons for the time being. Cake service will resume tomorrow.

Mrs Cautious have you tried nectar adpoints? http://www.nectaradpoints.com/
    250 points free for signing up and then up to 250 points per week for watching adverts, paid on a Monday morning for the previous week. Mixed feelings, always pays out but not many adverts to watch
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another NSD here with no kitchen.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • Evening all

Managed to do the biggish shop today in Sains, bought a lot of normal purchases which were on offer so am now stocked up on meat and store cupboard stuff which will last well into next month.

Spent £145.81 today so total now stands at £300.01, may have to venture somewhere for a few bits which I couldn't get today but nothing desperate.

Absolutely creamcrackered now so off to bed shortly, catch up with you all soon.

AFB
  • Everyone is doing so well, I'll full of admiration for your prowess.

I'm struggling to stay on budget of £130 a month (just for me, and this doesn't include petrol). I hardly drink, am not a huge meat eater, have been using store cupboard and freezer contents, haven't bought detergent/shampoo etc, have been assiduously using leftovers. But I was over budget last month and over half of this month's' blown already!

It's a big improvement of the £200+ I was spending but I am genuinely surprised that I need to spend that much. I suppose it's only £4ish a day and there's not the economies of scale of a larger household so perhaps it's not too bad.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    hex2 wrote: »

Mrs Cautious have you tried nectar adpoints? http://www.nectaradpoints.com/
    250 points free for signing up and then up to 250 points per week for watching adverts, paid on a Monday morning for the previous week. Mixed feelings, always pays out but not many adverts to watch

Thank you, I'm doing it with the sound down and trying to think of it in terms of what I would have had to have spent to get the same points rather than how much points actually available are worth, I'm finding it worthwhile overall I think, I have some points from eBay and from e-shops to add and a tiddly amount from nectar search. I got a nectar credit card to pay off in full each month and this has added a fair few, just wish I could use it in Aldi xx
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello all!

Delivery from Mr T came today - came to £17.06 after delivery, despite me originally ordering £30 odd. £5 deducted because of a bottle of wine, which is under entertainment spends (trying to save a bit of money by staying in some weekends rather than going out).

But...the main reason why it was lower is because they didn't deliver cod fillets or chicken breasts because they weren't available and there were no suitable replacements...hmmm.
    So I only got 2 packs of turkey breasts for meat meals. I've got 2 cooking days this week left (my housemate cook the other ones), so will either need to book another delivery next Tuesday or go to the supermarket on Saturday.

Also spent 59p in the corner shop and £2.61 in Mr T yesterday.

Hope everyone is well.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Everyone is doing so well, I'll full of admiration for your prowess.

I'm struggling to stay on budget of £130 a month (just for me, and this doesn't include petrol). I hardly drink, am not a huge meat eater, have been using store cupboard and freezer contents, haven't bought detergent/shampoo etc, have been assiduously using leftovers. But I was over budget last month and over half of this month's' blown already!

It's a big improvement of the £200+ I was spending but I am genuinely surprised that I need to spend that much. I suppose it's only £4ish a day and there's not the economies of scale of a larger household so perhaps it's not too bad.

Sounds brilliant to me, I think you should give yourself a massive pat on the back. I'm going to try and bumble along at £180/£200 as long as I can for the 3 of us, I think £4 a day for one person is remarkable, go you xx
  • Hmm, had written my post but failed to submit, so will have to do it again.

Reporting back in after a lovely long weekend in Kent. We had a fabulous time, good dinners at local pub and lovely B&B (with amazing cooked breakfasts including eggs from own hens, beautifully yellow yolks).

It was quite a shock :D to go back to work mode again, and yoghurt for breakfast....

Anyway, not much meal planning going on yet, but sausages, bacon and eggs will feature, all bought at various farm shops. Tonight's dinner was courgette frittata.

Various spends (most of our spends was holiday budget, so I've counted 2 NSD's on GC) at farm shops, food festival and supermarket total up to just over £45, so we're plenty on track for this month's budget.

Am now off to catch up on how everybody is doing
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Another NSD today. Needed bread but made some instead of spending money. Also made some vegetable soup which we had for lunch and plenty left for a couple of days yet.

Have discovered some vouchers in a drawer for M&S. Our nearest is about 20 miles away but will be going to visit friends next week (hopefully) and pass a Simply food store on the way so will probably nip in and see what there is.

For tea we had Beef Stir Fry and rice.

004_zpsec01f82d.jpg
    MARCH £62.38/250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills