postage and packaging

Options

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just imagine this buyer gets royally ripped off from some scammer and finds out they've opened too many frivilous cases.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    carnehan wrote: »
    Postage charges are a real bug bear to me. I recently bought an item from a seller with P+P charges of £7.95. I knew they were too high but continued anyway as the seller lived only 20 miles from me and thought I could arrange pick-up. He refused this option and told me to pay postage.

When the parcel arrived postage had actually cost £3.50. With packing materials I would have accepted P+P of £4.50 - £5. I queried with the seller and he refused to respond. I therefore, escalated the case to ebay and surprise surprise he replied but said it was my problem for bidding and nothing he was going to do.

After waiting the alotted time for the seller to respond following an exchange of emails I escalated the case further to ebay. I didn't expect much but wanted to fight my corner. To my surprise, within minutes of the case being submitted ebay called in my favour and refunded the postage AND the cost of the item!! I had requested a £4.00 refund from the seller. It has now cost him £18.45!!

I know the ethics of this are perhaps wrong in accepting the full refund but this was ebays decision and in my view is a warning to the seller to be more reasonable with his postage charges in the future.

Ebay do sometimes listen.
    Can I take your eBay username please. Another for my blocked list. Seriously TSFE.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't the seller also at fault here? The refund has gone through as they did not respond to a claim. Had they not ignored it Ebay probably would have sided with them.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Isn't the seller also at fault here? The refund has gone through as they did not respond to a claim.

The seller has not responded - let's take them out and give them a public flogging, no - "off with their head!!!!"
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • duncan-biscuits
    duncan-biscuits Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2013 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Exploiting of ebay cases, it sounds far fetched anyway if it did happen like they said anyway, nothing good ever happens to people who steal money the guy who sold something charges maybe a quid too much , but still had to pack it and carry it to post office, but he or she didnt do anything illegal cos buyers bid on items and are understood to have accepted the price on the P&P box as part of the "deal"

I am surprised that the buyer who got their item and got a refund on the item too.

As a general rule of thumb, I believe you will get soon receive a bill in of approx. three times the amount you robbed! Cos of the way karma seems to work you get it back but 3 times as bad!

Life throws up numerous monetary situations a flat tyre, the dog needing a stitch on a cut paw, the cooker goes on the blink, the kids get a hole in their best shoes, the hoover needs replacing ......could be a few all come in this week at once for the no57 poster who rejoiced at his £18 odds gain, at the expense of another, well it will soon be a £54 loss when "something unexpected" needs paying :O
  • cyberem78
    cyberem78 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I personally take into account everything from envelope, padding, ink, cellotape, petrol used to post and my time spent doing so. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Saying that I don't charge astronomical amounts like some sellers do, I just cover my costs. I do think that some categories don't allow you to set a more reasonable postage cost to cover envelope etc costs. I live in a town where the only bubble wrap envelopes are sold singly and cost 50p for even the smallest size!

I always think that if a person bids they are happy to pay the postage cost given, if not they shouldn't bid.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cyberem78 wrote: »
    I personally take into account everything from envelope, padding, ink, cellotape, petrol used to post and my time spent doing so. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Saying that I don't charge astronomical amounts like some sellers do, I just cover my costs. I do think that some categories don't allow you to set a more reasonable postage cost to cover envelope etc costs. I live in a town where the only bubble wrap envelopes are sold singly and cost 50p for even the smallest size!

I always think that if a person bids they are happy to pay the postage cost given, if not they shouldn't bid.

Re envelope costs. Most people buy on eBay, living in a small town doesn't mean you can't do the same.

It is a dangerous mind set to think that if someone bids they are obliged to be happy, your buyers are the ones with the ability to leave stars and potentially get you restricted. Never forget that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    there is one company who sell an article of womens clothing new but last season or slight seconds for half the price - i think they are aligned with the org company but not sure. They charge over what they cost to post and must make £3 on each one what it costs on the stamp they use to sell. They come in a small blue plastic envelope and send for 69p.
    They sell thousand and though they have 4. something stars for p & p must annoy some people. I dont know if they save fees charging the high package but once they have sold a couple of thousand they must make a fair bit
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    I bet this would go away if ebay UK followed the US site and charged FVF on the postage. Or why not just force all sellers to make their default postage "free", reduce FVF to 9% and buyers can pay extra for better services.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    Or why not just force all sellers to make their default postage "free",

When the postage is free, it's just added on to the cost of the item by the seller making it harder to get quantity discounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure