New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

postage and packaging

83 replies 6.3K views
scotty1971scotty1971 Forumite
1.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
i bought a dress which i am happy with,the p&p was £2.50.when it arrived it had a large letter stamp on it,it was in a blue plastic envelope.should i leave 5 stars for p&p.obviously i was willing to pay the p&p before bidding,just thought the price was slightly excessive.

thank

scott

Replies

• campdavecampdave Forumite
    2.2K posts
    I wouldn't. Seller obviously using postage to boost their profit.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to mark down a star if I feel a little put out by postage. I reserve 5* for those who actually charge only post and packing.

However it is a personal thing, you must do what feels right for you.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • scotty1971scotty1971 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    maybe just give her 3 stars then
  • Ralph-yRalph-y Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or have done with it and give her 1 star ....

that will teacher her!

you where happy with the amount, but are now annoyed ???

why not haggle to bring the price down ?

work out the price of the bag and deduct the stamp and demand a refund ......

or at least do the gracious thing and message her first.

I am not having a go at you personaly, it just seams that the number of people who think so much about being 'stung' for a few coppers is to my humble self amazing.

It is also why (along with other Ebay factors) I no longer sell things on Ebay

Ralph
  • ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget she paid paypal fees on the postage aswell (5%) and petrol to the post office. You may think it's not a lot, but most large parcels are about to be £5.00 or so, so that's another 25p to paypal. Petrol isn't cheap! Labels cost tuppence. Perhaps, start giving sellers a break. They need to put their kids through college, somehow.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • compmhcompmh Forumite
    4 posts
    Why don't you contact the seller and query her postage? Maybe they would refund you the difference?

I sold an item recently in a similar situation - I charged £2.20 postage but it went as a large letter. I got sidetracked and didnt have a chance to refund the postage difference and the buyer left me neutral feedback saying the top was nice, "shame about the mark up on the postage". A bit harsh, maybe - because if she'd contacted me we could have sorted it out.
  • scotty1971scotty1971 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    going to give her benefit of the doubt.give her 5 stars no point ruining her stars
  • Or as nobody seems to have pointed out been a genuine mistake, it's hard to know when listing something if it's going to fit through the LL slot or not. Maybe she/he didn't know that it had gone as a LL if they had quite a few to post.
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I expect the seller thought it'd go as a packet, but it turned out it was thin enough to go as a large letter.

In cases like that I'd normally give 4 stars for postage, but wouldn't make any adverse comment.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    soolin wrote: »
    I tend to mark down a star if I feel a little put out by postage. I reserve 5* for those who actually charge only post and packing.

However it is a personal thing, you must do what feels right for you.

My postage DSR is 4.6 when I charge exact stamp price only (no packaging and no recorded delivery etc) or sometimes actually charge them less than the stamp price. I've given in and started offering free postage.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support