PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    (((hugs))) sending you hugs ww to try to give you the strength to deal with it and hoping the impact will be less than you fear

melodramaticme - welcome to you, glad to hear that your ex is an ex with an attitude like that! The purpose of craft is not the end product but what it does to the brain while in the process of crafting, so I have no embarrassment at assembling a kid's toy kit even though I am capable of creating stunning unique pieces
    (yeah well no-one else is going to blow my trumpet so I will!).
    Love the idea of inheriting from our kids, I thought that was just "insanity" but no, you are right, I've inherited quite a lot of stuff that I've found DD chucking out!

We just need to make sure we are actually creating, not shopping for aspirational creativity that we will never accomplish because we can't find the scissors among all the raw materials LOL
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • Nodette
    Nodette Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    And I am banned from buying pasta and sugar for at least 3 months!

Ha! Me too! Or rather, DH. A couple of months ago he went to the local cash & carry - and returned with a 25kg bag of sugar. :eek:

Apparently, it was on the 'reduced' shelf because there had been a hole in it (taped up, thankfully) and he can't resist a bargain.

What was I going to do with that much sugar???????

DH did have a plan. The local Sainsbugs reduce their produce at about the same time he comes home from work. He started bringing home bags of Seville oranges for me to make marmalade 'since we have plenty of sugar'. I don't mind, but SIX bags of oranges? Aaarrgghh.

Now I'm having to get him to store the 30-40 jars of marmalade in the already-heaving loft!!

AND where am I going to get back the time it took me? I WAS going to de-clutter the spare room - theoretically.

And I'll remain quiet about all the pasta I have stashed under the stairs. Although not as much as you have, it is a lot more than just the 2 of us need. :o
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    Nodette wrote: »
    Now I'm having to get him to store the 30-40 jars of marmalade in the already-heaving loft!!

AND where am I going to get back the time it took me? I WAS going to de-clutter the spare room - theoretically
    Tell him marmalade is French for mess!
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2013 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

I hope that wherever you are you aren't being too badly affected by the snow and that you are keeping warm.

Following my own advice today I looked once again at my linen cupboard with 'fresh eyes' - nine items are now bagged up to go to the CS.

I feel really pleased that I have done this - it only took five minutes but it has really made my day

Have good weekends everyone x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Options
    Picklepot wrote: »
    Brighton belle....Was that the one from lake***d? Cant remember whether it was you who originally posted about it but whoever did put the link. Thats when i fell in love with the notion of steam cleaners and have been dreaming of once since. I am concerned that i now have a very fanciful notion of how much they will change my life ( think i may have been watching too much shopping channel:rotfl:!) I really only want it for my floors though...
    Yes it was that one and me who posted about it *Guilty feelings for inducing steam mop lust*.
    I really am enjoying it and so far I do feel I am keeping my house cleaner with it. It has not however transformed me into a housework fiend...I think that would take a personality transplant :D
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, so far today I've kept up with the washing up, cleaned the kitchen and dining room windows and put away loads of underwear that's just been moved from bedroom to bedroom! :D This is about 0.01% of the work that needs to be done in my house, but it's a tiny start!

I'm hoping to get most of the toys in our front room sorted, or at least put in the right containers, then spend some of this evening ironing. I know how much needs to be done, and I know from bitter experience that planning too much means I'm on a hiding to nothing! If I can sort out the toys, keep up with my ironing and put it away, I'll be content with that. Then I will have a break Sunday and start again on Monday - for lots of reasons, we need to mark out one day as "time off", to make it special, even if that means ignoring the mess.

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This isn't very MSE, but if you have a mountain of clothes scrunched up in the laundry basket waiting to be ironed, if you give them a few minutes in the tumble dryer (enough to heat them up) you can them give them a shake, smooth them out, fold and put away without ironing (even if you have to finish some of them off with the iron, if you do it straight away while they are still warm it only takes a minute.

This only works if you have time to watch over the dryer, get them out while warm, and work in small batches so you can get them folded and put away immediately they come out the dryer. It also helps to sort the clothes into similar types (T-shirts, Tops, clothes to be hung up etc) and have clothes hangers handy so clothes than need hanging come straight out the dryer onto the hanger.

Even if you dry the clothes on a clothes horse over night, it may be worth a quick spin in the dryer to de-crease them.

Dx
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Picklepot
    Picklepot Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2013 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Brighton Belle lol!! I realise that since i have been on this thread i am highly sensitive to suggestion of all sorts of things as well as steam cleaners..i think you would all say it was aspirational. However i am going to get one i just need to choose the right model for my needs. Its just for my floors and so i can get rid of the whole mop and bucket thing which i hate i just feel like i am moving dirt round.. and a floor that takes forever to dry is an impossibility with dog ,2 cats and two teens off whilst it does!

Do you remember the jam jar debate? Having had no thought about jam jars prieviously i started to become quite fond of them.. particularly those bo**e Mam*n ones with the red/white checks on the lid. Oh and the pasta debate pigpen and nodette i think i'm developing storecupboard envy as i am looking outside at the snow and wishing i had kept my stock up shelf more stocked.

For me its about getting the balance though and telling myelf a jam jar will become available if i need it as will a quickly made meal out of not very much will if we get snowed in..

Melo/blossom hill Have to agree with you both. I cant watch the OCD cleaners either, its all too much when i am trying to develop a 'good enough' attitude.
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    Picklepot wrote: »
    Melo/blossom hill Have to agree with you both. I cant watch the OCD cleaners either, its all too much when i am trying to develop a 'good enough' attitude.
    Although this is all about dehoarding for me, not about housework, I am becoming aware of housework getting easier. F'rinstance the stair carpet (aka cat perch) - instead of needing a good old clean every so often they get a vacuum every day with a different stair getting extra effort each day, going up one at a time. So in the space of 2 weeks, each of the 14 stairs has had a springclean while the others a quick once over. And the vacuum goes in and out of the cupboard easily now it's less cramped, and the long attachment doesn't get tangled up now it has it's own storage spot

and I can change lightbulbs more easily because I no longer have bulbs in the drawer for appliances we no longer own ... and no longer buy the wrong ones, because I have a note in my smart phone of all sizes ... perhaps I am making progress
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I sent Mr F up in the loft today. There were three items up there - I wanted him to find - so I could list on Eb.. :)
    I now have quite a few bags and boxes on the landing to sort through. :eek:
    Stuff that I had forgotten about - therefore - don't need to keep it - on Eb.. it goes.
    I am raising funds for work on the house.
    I don't have a problem with - getting rid - just getting around to getting it out of the loft/garage/wherever and then write listing/list/photograph for Eb.. :eek:
    It is all stuff that will raise funds that I need to get new flooring/stair carpet and decorating done.
    Mr F brought down from the loft - a wooden doll's crib + a plastic doll's crib + a wooden doll's bunk beds! :o
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/378
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 78
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts