PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I feel really embarrassed asking this, but not quite sure why as no one knows me or where I live, so I'm not touting or anything, so here goes.

I would really like to start up a tiny business helping people to declutter/ dehoard. I did this for a friend years ago and it was one of the most fulfilling work things I've ever done. I've had previous lives as a PA to a chief exec and as a Project Manager, so organisation and getting things done/ solved has been my profession.

Do people think that there would be a call for people to do this professionally? I know at least one member has been pleased with employing someone, but is that a general consensus?

Any thoughts, advice etc. would be very gratefully received.

Thank you.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catshark,

I definitely think people will pay, although a proportion of people who hoard may not be able to afford someone, if it goes alongside with depression and financial troubles.

Maybe you could become a franchisee of an already established business? Then they could help you get a name for yourself in your area. You'd also be part of a business support network too which would give you a lot of support.

I have forgotten the name of the company that I'm thinking of but I think one of the people on the thread used it.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Picklepot
    Picklepot Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    After a poor start this morning i have managed my daily if i get nothing else done today tasks:

1. recycling into outdoor boxes
    2. Weeded 20 items of paperwork out of collapsing concertina file for shred/recycle
    3 De pooped garden
    3.walked dog
    4. cleaned a sink
    5.dishwasher through
    6. Load washing in
    8 Planned whats for dinner.
    9. Quick 5 min vaccuum of main 'runway downstairs'
    10. Spent x 2 30 minute sessions on job application (had to set my timer due to continued procrastination:mad:) probably need two more sessions to finish.
    11. 5 items in CS bag ready for weekly drop on saturday.

Have been doing this now for a week i can see gaps! Yippee!!
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Just popping in to say 'Hi' to all on the shiny new thread.

Catshark88, I think a professional declutterer sounds like something people would definitely pay for. However, it's difficult emotionally. People get very argumentative and distressed when having to clear out their stuff, even if they've asked you to help. However, you would be doing them a huge amount of good. I would say go for it.

PQ
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    My hallway and stairs are cleared.. I can't have stuff on the stairs because the tinies might fall down them. I do have 9 boxes waiting to go in the loft (2 of DD2's bears and 7 of OHs crap)

lol.. I have almost added more to the number than have left.. which bring with it all those huge hideous plastic toys :(

I have got the bedding down to 2 sets per bed to allow for wetting, AF, and so I can strip and remake each bed and nothave to worry about getting them washed and dried by bed time.

The tiny baby stuff was donated to DS1 and DD1... and some is on its way back.

It is the landing I am finding most distressing.. I just don't know what to do with the stuff.. I could live without it but I'd have to replace it in a couple of years (mostly Tiddles clothes saved for Squeak.. and a box of next christmasses christmas presents.. :/) There is a narrow path through but I am struggling to side step some of the stuff now.

OK. So you need a safe pathway, then - can't be having you getting stuck or falling over in your condition :D (you're not the only lurker, I'll have you know - but in my case it's due to the stalkerish tendencies of 'I wonder how so and so's doing'?, look up their latest posts and wander off again :))

Job one - get him up there. After all, he's not got far to reach, has he? Is there room up there near the hatch for carefully labelled bags of clothes, age xx? If they're not going to be needed for a while, you don't need to see them for the intervening 9 - 16 months, what with Dot looking like she's a slighter build than Squeak. And the Christmas presents don't need to be seen for (allowing for the time constraints in wrapping presents for 11+3 children minimum) 7 months.

If he won't play ball, then yes, you may well have to buy things again - but you'd be free of them for over a year in the meantime.

Whilst he's doing that, you've got a bathroom to worry about, haven't you? Is that clear for fitting? I'd take the opportunity to luzz everything that wasn't perfect, so half, quarter or a squeeze and a bit left of shampoos, hairy bars of soap, etc. Perhaps take the opportunity to reduce the number of bath toys out at the same time? I got it down to one of those bags that stick to the tiles and, in all honesty, I could have got away with leaving just one red teapot, a cup and a squirty purple dolphin.

None of this is huge, instantly solved things, but they're things that should free up quite a bit of physical and emotional energy. An almost clear bathroom is a whole lot more relaxing to look at, never mind use.

I know you've got lots of rooms to deal with, so it's not going to be an instant thing. But go for the quick victories at first, the bundle of papers, the mountain of broken crayons and pencils, etc, scattered about into one single box, meaning you know exactly where any stray art material gets put and where it can be found if needed.

Then, as those bits are being done, think about the place that you want sorted first. What is most important to you? Is it the kitchen, the downstairs room that you like sitting in? Is it your bedroom? Where would you like to be able to sit down with a cuppa for five minutes' peace or a chat?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, shiny new thread! Thanks JOJO!

De-hoarded some old 'cards' (bank,reward,aa etc) 5mins ago as we have a little desk tidy that houses them for yrs upon yrs. have only kept the ones we need now

Half painted eldest DDs room today hopefully will get the rest done tomorrow but there isn't too much room in the room just now to manoeuvre with no wardrobe. (This will get built good fri or Easter Mon when OH is off to assist me)

Other than that I've been busy working and, errm, sleeping! When I've had the chance. Still not 100% whatever lurgy I have succumbed to has hit me bad but I'm almost recovered now

Not really had time to check back so will have a read just now x
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Options
    Lordy, Pigpen, it feels so overwhelming doesn't it? Just take it one item at a time and acknowledge what you have done even if you can't see the difference at first.

sjprmc, take care of yourself, seems like you are still not well.

Picklepot, well done, it can be so hard to motivate yourself but seems like you have managed to "chunk" tasks into manageable pieces.

Pudsey, just (((hugs)))

Catriona, I've said it before, dehoarding pays for itself :D

Lovely visit with my folks today, they stayed for about 4 hours then took 100 toilet rolls, 102 cans of fizzy drinks and a box load of china with them :rotfl:

Nothing else decluttered today but hope to wake up bright eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow and crack on.
  • lindab15
    lindab15 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Fab - just what I need to keep me on track.

Really need a major declutter. Extended the house a couple of years ago to get a kitchen bigger than a broom cupboard (bliss !) and now everything feels cramped, with all the crap that's accumulated since then.

Had a go at clearing space in the bathroom today. This was part of the extension (above the kitchen) and we just painted the new plaster etc until time and money permitted more. Looks tatty now - paint peeling in places, as well as having more toiletries and gift sets piled up on shelves than you can shake a stick at.

Is it just me that finds it hard to get rid of gifts, even if you know you'll never use them ? :(

Anyway - took everything off shelves, rubbed back peeling paint and just repainted the patches (quick fix) to even it up. Going to be repainted/tiled properly (hopefully this year !), but can't believe it only took an hour or so - I've been staring at the peeling paint for months and it was depressing me ! Looks much cleaner and fresher.

Went through all the toiletries and binned the half used / ancient / definitely won't use ones (filled three carrier bags ! No wonder couldn't fit anything else on shelves and in cupboards), and put a couple of unopened gift sets aside for the next charity bag.

SO much easier to then put the things I want to keep onto shelves / in cupboards and then wipe down the lovely, uncluttered sink and windowledge.

Took me an hour or two in all and it looks like a different room. Think I might treat myself to a new blind to finish the look ! Not money saving, I know, but can't tell you what a difference it's making to how I feel about the house, just by changing that room.

Kitchen next .....:beer:

Good luck all. A step at a time
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jojo.. I am actually quite flattered to be worthy of stalking!

Our bath toys comprise of 6 ducks and about 20 balls which they love.. all in a nice neat bucket. There is a bucket for recycling and the bin and it is pretty tidy in there or would be if the children knew what the wash basket was for. I can't get in the bath we have at the moment but I am hoing the new one will be easier for me and the girls because it is much lower on the sides.

I buy too much shampoo/conditioner because it is too much effort to walk up the stairs to see what we have and I just buy more..

I have got to the point where any pencils/crayons/bits left on the floor are binned.. I vacuum the lego and ti it into a box for them to pick out the bits they want and the remaining dust and bits of paper go in the bin.. very little effort on my part.

The older children change their own beds and the younger ones beds though really it is only the 8 and 10 y/o's that need the help now.

I am getting 2 bedrooms decorated over easter before I am totoally incapable of walking so we can get the 2 babies into the room next door to ours before the baby arrives so we may at least have a few months with a child free room. DD2 isn't happy at the downsize but she was offered sharing or a smaller room. I have decided not to buy another set of bunks until the baby needs Squeaks cot because it is money I cannot afford to lay out, especially with the kitchen needing the emptying/cleaning etc doing before the work can begin in there.

I am getting some nails to hang pics next time we visit B&Q (next week for my bath taps) so I can empty the 3 tesco crates under the bed Tiddles will be having so I can stash stuff under there off the landing.

I have emptied a box of toys from the landing, just a few books to find shelf space for but I have a bookcase on order from Ikea so they will be organised very soon.

I can't do anything over the weekend but Monday I have 2 'ebay' boxes to sort through and see what I can bear to part with.. I think a lot is baby stuff so I shall wait and see what sex the baby is before flinging that lot.. both DS1 and DD1 had boys and my brother has a boy due 3 days ago so I've noone to pass stuff too here but DD1 knows lots of young mums and I'm sure 1 will have a girl soon lol

The kitchen has to be my next priority. It is just huge and daunting, I wish someone would come do it for me and not say 'do you want to keep this?' ..YES!!! I want to keep it all but I know it is crap and I shouldn't.. just take the initiative and fling it FGS!!!

And I am banned from buying pasta and sugar for at least 3 months!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2013 at 1:16AM
    Options
    Sounds like the planning is going well!

Ok, bathroom is good. Stairs are good, hall is good.

Do you have all the tools ready for doing those pictures? Hammer?I would say stepladder, but he's not really going to need one, is he? Is there a definite 'that one there, that one there' plan?

Unless you already have a very safe and accessible tool box, it might be a plan to put the hammer in with the pictures and then, as soon as you're back with the nails and taps, everything is ready to go.

Other than that, if the kitchen is most important to you, then in the gaps where you can't do a big job, just do a carrier bag of stuff from the kitchen. If there's a table in there, start with that, so you can sit down in peace for five minutes.

And you don't need more pasta!!!!!!!!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family