EON standing charge but no supply to property

Options

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As has been stated, if the meter is in place then unless on a no standing charge tariff,you will be charged.

If you have the meter removed then at some future point, the network operator will dig up and cut the service pipe off. If gas is then required in future,the person requiring it will have to commission a new supply and pay ££££ for it.

It isnt all made up to extract money from punters. Its the Law.

Best solution? If you dont use gas,switch suppliers to a non standing charge arrangement and if you have any sense,do it via quidco $$$. In this way,you may get lucky and get some cashback,you will also retain the supply to your home.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As has been stated, if the meter is in place then unless on a no standing charge tariff,you will be charged.

Best solution? If you dont use gas,switch suppliers to a non standing charge arrangement and if you have any sense,do it via quidco $$$. In this way,you may get lucky and get some cashback,you will also retain the supply to your home.

That sounds all well and good; BUT. The non standing charge suppiers are goig to be rare, within the next 3 months due to the Gov. EoN have stated that 'if you want a meter re-installed within the next 10 -15 years, chances are - they would not do it; as they say, 'there will not be Gas available to put through it'. That tells me; Don't buy an expensive gas cooker, or install Gas C/H cos in 10 - 15 years it will be de-funked: or is this EoN 'SPINNING A YARN'. smiley-laughing021.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    lemontart wrote: »
    National grid do not normally charge you as end user for a live or dead check unless that has changed in the past month -they may charge a supplier or a supplier may arrange it for you and pass that on to you. If your service is live which after around 6 months plus unlikely then just a case of getting new meter installed by supplier of choice. The 6 month period may well be less in some cases.

After 12 months the service becomes dead, as the transporter cuts the t off at the road for safety and prevent theft. If this happens its a new supply £1000+
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 March 2013 at 10:36PM
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    After 12 months the service becomes dead, as the transporter cuts the t off at the road for safety and prevent theft. If this happens its a new supply £1000+
    So, what is the way around this if you don't want to end up with a 'Rip Off' charge; and you do not use Gas at this present time but you may wish to in the future ? Assuming there will be gas available in the future, according to EoN. :(

Edit: Theft of what, the underground pipe work?smiley-hug010.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    #25 To be fair it isnt a rip off charge. Its a consequence of privatisation and legislation.

The gas transporter, for EG National Grid,owns the main and service pipe that goes to your house. When a meter is connected to it,the gas supplier has to pay NG to transport gas to their meter. The gas supplier also probably pays a rental charge to rent the meter from a meter asset manager. If a meter is fitted but no gas is passed then no one makes any money and further,the supplier makes a loss because they are hiring a meter and paying transportation charges for zero return i.e your not buying any gas !

Now the legislation bit. The Gas Safety Management Regulations require gas transporters (eg NG) to disconnect as close to the main as is reasonably practicable,any gas service pipe which has not been in use for more than a year. They dont have a choice. Its the law.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Malc, any chance you can clarify this a bit more. If I'm reading what Wywth and Lemontart have said correctly, then:-
    if Edwink (or others) get their gas meter removed, re-fitting shouldn't cost much or at all, but if any major works take place in between then the connection will not be maintained. Is that about right?

So in this real situation, we are to have our gas mains and supply pipes upgraded in the next months or so. My neighbour opposite has solid fuel burners, and leccy. If they don't have a gas account/meter then when the pipework 'goes past' their house, no connection (supply pipe) will be made to the new gas main?

I house sat for my father 2 weeks ago whilst his supply pipe was upgraded. Meter taken out (less than 5 mins), new yellow supply pipe shoved up the old metal one (1 min), meter replaced, gas stove and boiler checked (less than 10 mins). But if he'd been bypassed, presumably excavation work would be needed for reconnection - any guesses how much that might be?

Thanks.

Mart.

If no registered gas supply then no supply pipe will be laid from mains to property. correct.

Speak to the appropriate gas network or licensed operator for guidance on price, but all quotations would be subject to survey to ensure what you require is possible and meets current laws.

It is not always the case that a new pv pipe can be fed through existing metal pipes for lots of reasons so again your network folk can advise further,
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    #25 To be fair it isnt a rip off charge. Its a consequence of privatisation and legislation.

The gas transporter, for EG National Grid,owns the main and service pipe that goes to your house. When a meter is connected to it,the gas supplier has to pay NG to transport gas to their meter. The gas supplier also probably pays a rental charge to rent the meter from a meter asset manager. If a meter is fitted but no gas is passed then no one makes any money and further,the supplier makes a loss because they are hiring a meter and paying transportation charges for zero return i.e your not buying any gas !

Now the legislation bit. The Gas Safety Management Regulations require gas transporters (eg NG) to disconnect as close to the main as is reasonably practicable,any gas service pipe which has not been in use for more than a year. They dont have a choice. Its the law.

Hello

If this is correct there would be no point in me trying to arrange for another supplier with a no standing charge tariff. It has been suggested on here that I change suppliers because Eon has just introduced a standing charge. But, who is going to give us a gas supply contract if we consume ZERO gas and the company would make a loss out of our custom or should I say lack of it.

Malc from Eon - I am still waiting to hear from you - Please pm me!!!

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Cheers, didn't know that bit. So technical question (sorry if you don't know the specifics), when you say disconnection as close to the main as possible - for most of us, I assume excavation work would be needed. Or ..... million dollar question ...... would this just mean some sort of capping on the householders property?

If the later, then re-connection might be simple (note might), if the former, then I guess a large sum of monies will be requested.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    #29 in many cases it would mean disconnection by excavation. If you are lucky enough to have a valved supply outside then it could be valved off. Flats/apartments have different rules.
  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2013 at 8:38AM
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Hello

If this is correct there would be no point in me trying to arrange for another supplier with a no standing charge tariff. It has been suggested on here that I change suppliers because Eon has just introduced a standing charge. But, who is going to give us a gas supply contract if we consume ZERO gas and the company would make a loss out of our custom or should I say lack of it.

Malc from Eon - I am still waiting to hear from you - Please pm me!!!

Edwink
    The answer is Scottish Power. Go to their website and click on SP products They are the only major energy company still giving customers the option whether to be billed by standing charges or without (higher tarriff rate) But I think you have to have both fuels supplied by them to qualify for the 'no standing charge' option Just don't tell them you'll be using zero gas. Ebico are another company worth looking at who seem to have very reasonable prices and don't have standing charges which they advertise on their website.Screw effin' standing charges!

I'm in exactly the same boat. I barely use any gas throughout the year and now Npower intend to slap a £158 annual standing charge on me whereas I only consumed about £25 worth last year.These standing charges have little to do with simplifying the system and everything to do with screwing more money out of light users. Heavy users aren't saving either, but they end up paying a similar amount as before as they would have gone with a standing charge plan previously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure