Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?

Options

Comments

• LiveOnce
    LiveOnce Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
  • pistonvalve
    Options
    Hi, I will have to replace my old Humax box because it no longer supports BBC Iplayer. Can anybody recommend a box with no issues? The Humax HB 1000s apparently has issues which have not been resolved!

Mike.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much do you want to spend ?

Have a look on Richer Sounds if they sell the boxes and John Lewis for boxes that fit your description and use Google to search for reviews for them boxes.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do NOT replace the Foxsat-HDR if that is what you have currently... with the 'custom firmware' it is better than any modern equivalent.

Buy a simple box to do On Demand / iPlayer from all the major channels such as the NowTV one... http://www.nowtv.com/box

Now that's Moneysaving for you! 1/10 the price of a new sat box! ;)
  • Peckedhen
    Options
    I am with Sky and have a Sky HD box. I'd like to cancel but, will I be able to watch freesat through the box? Will it just continue to work but without the subscription channels? Will the box record programmes? I don't want to cancel and end up with no TV! Freeview doesn't work well in my area. I know that I will need to find a new broadband and phone provider too.
    Preemie hats 9 :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes it acts as a Freesat box, no you can't record (unless you pay Sky a monthly sub for the facility).
  • Peckedhen
    Options
    Thanks Colin_Maybe that's reassuring. So I don't need to move any of the plug things in the back of the box, it will work just as it is, abeit without recording?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Peckedhen wrote: »
    Thanks Colin_Maybe that's reassuring. So I don't need to move any of the plug things in the back of the box, it will work just as it is, abeit without recording?
    Yep, that's correct. If you speak to Sky they may enable recording cheaply (I have heard of them doing it for free sometimes). If you don't ask you'll never know.
  • Peckedhen
    Options
    That's interesting. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it. MSE forum is brilliant :j:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Peckedhen wrote: »
    That's interesting. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it. MSE forum is brilliant :j:j
    I meant ' they may enable recording cheaply' by the way, emphasis on 'may' :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure