Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?

Options

Comments

• jimmyriddle38
    Options
    Been down that route with PC to TV cables and cheap ones gave all sorts of problems. Expensive one worked perfectly. OK i know you are going to say buy a dear one then but I was more concerned with the different specs different ones give on Amazon and whether there is a minimum spec or not. Thanks anyway.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked TV(?) most have more than one HDMI connection.

If you buy from Amazon and does not work, you can return for refund.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • jimmyriddle38
    Options
    Yes, and know mine has only one but thanks. Am taking the plunge and ordering Humax, cable and switch today. Loads of people have complained about problems but overall has good reviews and it is the only real game in town as far as I can see. Others have mentioned Panasonic and others but researching reviews you find even more problems with other makes. Off to Amazon now :D
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I changed from Sky box to a Free to Air Humax and it worked very well for me. I found picture better from an aerial than from satellite dish.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    I have sky off subscription, use it to watch freeview channels.

The box is very old, approximately 8 years old.

I am thinking of upgrading my box to sky+ which allows recording of programmes.

I was curious as to whether it would work or if I need to have a subscription or a card at the very least to make it work?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 February 2017 at 7:39PM
    Options
    I have sky off subscription, use it to watch freeview channels.

The box is very old, approximately 8 years old.

I am thinking of upgrading my box to sky+ which allows recording of programmes.

I was curious as to whether it would work or if I need to have a subscription or a card at the very least to make it work?

You need both a card and a monthly sub for the Sky+ service which enables recording on the box. A card on it's own would also give you Channel 4 & 5 (?) and some others.

It might be more worthwhile to take a basic Sky sub for 12 months as they have some decent deals.

Edit: Sorry, that's an 18 month contract and I've just remembered that Sky will take the Q box back at the end of it.
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    If you want to be able to record, you would be better served by getting a Freesat box, such as a Humax.
  • Stegrhm
    Stegrhm Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I left SKY because of costs and the constant fluctuations in price aswell as an overall feeling that it was (in my opinion) a thing of the past in 2017...
    The FREESAT service is such a refreshing change and totally free once you have bought the box, which without the SKY charges it pays for itself in 3 months. Over 200 channels, record, rewind pause and series link, a phone app to set it up when not home and also NETFLIX and the On-Demand services, plus you can scroll back through the day to watch what you have missed. I have not missed SKY in any aspect as I really only had it to pause live TV, so happy I switched :j
    (These views are my own from my personal experience)
  • Huwbert
    Huwbert Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I did the same, bought a Humax PVR and not looked back.
  • tir21
    tir21 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    trying to get a way of getting freeview channel swith box connected to a satellite dish. All the freesat boxes on ebay are going for too much. Will I get the same channels with a sky box? thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure