Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Have a good weekend SA, hope it's not too cold.

PS. And I reckon that third room in the villa could just about to squeeze us all in!! :rotfl:
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    I'll carry the bags! don't go without me! XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Hope all goes well at 9am Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Assessment centre rang us this morning saying if we could get in earlier the doctors were waiting. So we got a taxi straightaway. The doctor Mr SA saw apologised for him having to come in, said he should never have been called in. They had enough medical evidence to make a decision without assessment. He just did a very short assessment noting Mr SA's muscle wastage, unsteady gait and marked weakness down his left hand side. He said he wouldn't be expected to look for work and would recommend this to DWP. He won't be reassessed again. He apologised for the inconvenience and that was it done. Mr SA then got up from the chair and fell on top of the scales in the room!

I knew they'd be able to tell as soon as he walked in the room and I was right. Mr SA is relieved though, he was really worried.

We went for a coffee afterwards as Mr SA had been too worried to eat breakfast and then got a taxi home.

Another medical appointment over, next is consultants on 20 Feb, followed by my physio the next day then my mammogram on 6 March. Then that's it for a bit!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • mummytogirls
    Options
    What a relief for Mr SA, so glad the appointments now over with with the decision confirmed. Its ridiculous that the was called in in the first place.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday SA xx
    Mummytogirls x

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a relief, I am sure that coffee was very welcome afterwards:D Enjoy the weekend now, hope the weather not too horrid with you, lots of big fluffy snow flakes earlier, but not laying:D:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Great news about the assessment, annoying that it was called for in the first place though :mad:.

Have a lovely weekend Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all. Even the assessor was annoyed with DWP.

Trying to snow here but more sleety and too wet to settle. Bitterly cold though.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 14 February 2017 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Stay wrapped up warm inside? Glad assessment was so emphatic. Sorry you were put through it by the process though.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Glad the assessment went well (although not Mr SA falling over although that did at least show his balance is completely off!!)

The problem is under ESA even people in the support group (the top group) have to keep being called back - they have just recently relaxed the rules so people with illnesses/conditions where they will never improve (so as to come out of the support group) will not be called for assessments any longer.

The problem is that it's all computerised so no one actually looked at Mr SA's file before the assessment centre so there is no human input which would have put a stop to a needless assessment.

Hopefully when the Doctor said Mr SA won't be called again he actually has noted that Mr SA should come under the new criteria for not needing a follow up assessment.

Working in the benefits field I can see why they keep reassessing everyone because unfortunately under Incapacity Benefit and the Severe Disablement Allowance there were a lot of people fit for work who were put on to these benefits and never reassessed when actually a year or two down the line they would have been able to get into work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure