Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fab about the weight loss

Completely understand about Mr SA and work.... Has he been referred to any form of vocational rehabilitation?

Is he on ESA as at some point the work group will kick in......?

Appreciate he may not be fit for work.... But at least someone should be looking at productive activity for him. Especially as that's all the government focus on now .....

So frustrating for him and you

Love and Hugs
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • aandrea
    aandrea Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss. Which I cold lose weight this slim fast not working for me😢 I'm not that happy, my so called long time friend about 9 years known her yet when I ask her for a reference she goes all quiet on me. Oh well.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,357 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks ladies BM he is in the support group for ESA. He's nowhere near ready for work yet. Hopefully at some stage he will be. There's not a lot about for brain damaged people I'm afraid so hoping he'll improve enough to get some sort of work for his own sanity.

Andrea I can't see why your friend won't give you a reference, what harm is there in that.

Not been very good this week - no AFDs - blaming this on the Mother's Day bottle of wine lasting me through the week and no NSDs either. Not been tracking points either :( Don't know what's gone off - just been tired and fed up mostly. Will be back on track very shortly.

Mr SA back on the wanting to go back to work track. He now wants to set up a maintenance company!!!! Someone he used to work with rang asking if he wanted a roofing job working for a builder and it's set him off again. I really wish he could, I'd love to think it was possible but just can't see how at the moment.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • aandrea
    aandrea Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That would be good for me, if bottle wine lasted mid week lol
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Hello all

As expected I put on half a pound this week. It's my own fault, I totally lost the plot.

Today we have had a visit from the student GPs who are studying Mr SA. They wanted to talk to me about his illness as he obviously can't tell them a lot. The study lasts for just over a year. They seemed quite excited about the fact that he's got a vey rare condition. I suppose it makes it more interesting for them. The first thing they asked was where did the lymphoma start before it spread to his brain. When they found out it was only in his brain they were really shocked as it's so rare for this to happen.

After they left we nipped to the local shops and now Mr SA is sleeping as the visit and walk to the shops has wiped him out.

3 MSE things this week - I doubled up my Nectar points in Mr S and got £40 which I spent on baking tins, towels and candles, it was 20% staff discount at Mr M so stocked up on store cupboard items this week and I got another £20 in vouchers from work for being nominated for an award.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Just after I posted yesterday the flush on the toilet decided to stop working. Luckily we've got British Gas Homecare cover for plumbing and it was fixed this morning. We are really getting our money's worth from this Homecare insurance! We had to flush the toilet with buckets of water all last night and it really brought it home to me just how much water goes into flushing a toilet.

Just got back from town with Mr SA - he needed some things from Primani - socks, boxers, sweatshirt, joggers, trousers, etc. Managed to spend £78!!!!! Of course I've got to take his trousers back as he was rather over optimistic about the sizing and they're too small. We hardly went anywhere and he was really struggling to walk, he made it an ordeal really. He has decided he needs a mobility scooter. I know you can swap some of your PIP for a scooter so will look into this. At least it's made him realise there's no possibility of him going back to roofing, at least for now anyway.
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    It must be such a disappointment to him to rely on others so much and he probably knows deep down he's not ready for work. Good on him for having the attitude that he does want to go back even if he's not ready. Could he do a few hours volunteering in a charity shop or somewhere (where there will be people with him too to watch him) perhaps it would stretch him enough to make him feel like he's doing something and feel valuable again?

Well done you on making one bottle of wine last a week too :rotfl: and half a lb is nothing it can come off when you go to the loo ;) What award were you nominated for? Well done on all the MSE things :) xx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £250.96/300 84%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 3/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £163.36 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thanks DFW. The award was a team award, we were nominated but didn't win.

Mr SA not well at all today. He's exhausted and feels terrible. Hopefully just a bug. He's gone to bed now. To be honest I'm quite concerned, if he doesn't perk up soon I'll get him an appointment with the doctor.

About 3 weeks ago I bought a pair of white trousers for my hols and stashed them in my holiday clothes drawer. Thankfully I got them out tonight and not on holiday as the shop have left the security tag on. Goodness knows how I got them out of the shop without setting off the alarm!

Today has been an AFD and I'm back on tracking my points again.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Mr SA still unwell. He's hardly been out of bed since Monday. He's got headache, aching limbs, generally feeling rubbish. I phoned our doctors and of course they have no appointments!!! I explained the situation and all they could say was ring the haematology unit for advice. Personally I think he's got flu or a bug but I would just like to make sure that's all it is. He's been up for his dinner tonight, which he ate and enjoyed, but he's now gone back to bed. I think I'll give it until the weekend and if he's no better then I'll persist with the doctors. Tomorrow the mobility place are bringing some scooters to the house for him to test drive so I hope he feels up to it.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Mr SA was burning up all through the night and this morning he said his chest hurt and he was struggling to breathe. So I rang the doctors and insisted they come out to him. Our GP came out this afternoon - he's got a bug and on antibiotics for a week with complete bed rest. Relieved it's nothing sinister although the doctor said it must be stopped in its tracks before it gets any worse. So no thanks to the receptionist who fobbed me off earlier in the week, he could have started the antibiotics earlier and they might have been kicking in by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport