We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Enterprise rent-a-car - dont give a stuff attitude...

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Filled up this morning. Washer at front broken. I can see it all running out on my driveway...

Not cool - could have been sorted 24 hours ago by depot if they had been bothered to drive 10 mins to come and take a look.
    Or if you had been bothered to drive over and collect a replacement vehicle.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah, sure it's only washer fluid, what's the big deal?
    The big deal is that the car is unroadworthy. Just like the horn, it doesn't really matter until you need it and find out it doesn't work.
    If OP had been stopped by the police and found out (unlikely I admit) HE would be liable. Should he expect this when paying good money to drive a car?!
  • Smurfette80
    Options
    I have had exactly the same problem with a hire car I have from Entreprise it was driving me crazy I will fling some water in but I will be having a very angry chat with them when I return it!
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a hire car from them at the minute, no problem at all, even giving me courtesy calls every few days to inform me of insurance claim progress. Can't fault them at all. And to be honest if the car needed water would just top it up the same as I do in my own car. If I found something broken and not working I would with take it back to swap or get them to bring me out another
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2013 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Big issue here is that they were allowed to drive a car away that was in an illegal state.

Worst one I ever had was a courtesy car from... you'll never guess who... Evans Halshaw... a Ford Fiesta with a washer bottle filled with water in February. Found out it was just water when I decided to clean my windscreen in lane 3 of Newport Road at 4PM only for it to instantly freeze on the windscreen.

Had to finish the journey (thankfully just one right turn at a roundabout then into their forecourt, so safer than trying to pull over and stop) by sticking my head out of the side window. I was not pleased.

I guess I should be grateful that the only damage caused by that experience was it ruined my hair.

As for Enterprise, I've had generally positive experiences with them, especially compared to other hire companies. They've never tried to rake in bogus damage claims by missing stuff on the outgoing inspection, for example. Compare and contrast this to a certain orange-coloured hire car company who allegedly would send someone out to steal the wheel trims on cars they hire out.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy a big bottle of cheap concentrate w/wash fluid, from my local "cheapo" store that sells everything non-food. (it's called "Trotters' Traders" btw - seriously) This lasts me for ages and I mix it with distilled water that I get from my dehumidifier tank. In winter, mix is 2:1, in summer it's 4:1, water to concentrate. I have never had the washer bottle or pipes freeze or block, but the nozzles do freeze in heavy frost, I pour WARM (not hot) water directly onto the nozzles in the bonnet, put the wipers up vertical and keep trying the washers in very short bursts. That soon defrosts them and they work. A very thin needle or pin can also help.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the system does not work, pull over at a cafe ring their breakdown service and report the vehicle is unroadworthy. Why should you drive an illegal vehicle?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself. - Galileo Galilei

Discovering how to wipe his own backside would do for starters. This thread really is a non problem. Don't sweat the small stuff for goodness sake.
  • jack172sp
    jack172sp Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I had a van from Entreprise with a brake light out so not uncommon for vehicles to not be functioning correctly!
  • Chopper_Read
    Chopper_Read Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    jack172sp wrote: »
    I had a van from Entreprise with a brake light out so not uncommon for vehicles to not be functioning correctly!

Cool post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family