Say No to 0870!

Options

Comments

• clock24
    clock24 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, DonnyDave, that is what their letter says!
    How can such an organisation be so gullible? In the USA the equivalent of 0870 was tried - and failed - so now businesses there invariably use freephone for customers. Maybe it is the Brits themselves who are gullible!!
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • allanmc
    allanmc Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    OK everyone. This may be a bit of a problem but, if push comes to shove what do you do? If you really have to dial either an 0870 or 0845 number, what is the cheapest way to do it. I cannot find this nugget of info anywhere on this thread or in any of Martin's articles. Perhaps this kind of info could be added to Martin's excellent call rate tables.

TTFN :-*
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • sergeant121
    Options
    OK everyone. This may be a bit of a problem but, if push comes to shove what do you do? If you really have to dial either an 0870 or 0845 number, what is the cheapest way to do it. I cannot find this nugget of info anywhere on this thread or in any of Martin's articles. Perhaps this kind of info could be added to Martin's excellent call rate tables.

TTFN :-*
    Good point and, in the meantime (and just off the top of my head), if http://www.saynoto0870.com/ can't help in a particular instance, using BT appears to be least expensive.

Making the call at the weekend (when 0845 calls are 1p per minute and 0870 calls are 1½p per minute) reduces the cost as much as possible but, of course, some firms may only provide weekday/daytime answering.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • lostit
    lostit Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I use the alternative no. 08445 661661 for dialing 0870.
    this costs 5p per min, but i cant remember where i found it on the site.
    Does anybody know a similar no. that will work with 0871

many thanks
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• lostit
    Options
    derrick, was that link for me?
    I tried all over the site but couldnt find any similar numbers that you dial first to get a fixed rate call to either 0845 0r 0870.
    I have the pre dial numbers for 0845 and 0870 but need one for 0871.
    Apologies if it was there and i couldnt find it.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes lostit it was,but you might be right as I have just looked and cannot find 0871, I was given this site by someone else,so maybe they will read your request and answer. Don`t forget the prefixes you are dialing are charged from connection to that service even if there is no reply with a minimum 5p charge.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes BT is actually the cheapest (assuming they are your line provider)

dayevew/e

And since you will probably never use them for any other calls :) you can populate your Friends and Family ;D list with the non-geographic numbers you call most frequently.

I don't think you will find any workaround for 0871 numbers. They are fixed rate
  • lostit
    Options
    my provider is ntl but its 0871 i need a cheaper number for.
    not 0870

many thanks
  • sergeant121
    Options
    Sometimes BT is actually the cheapest (assuming they are your line provider)

dayevew/e

And since you will probably never use them for any other calls  :) you can populate your Friends and Family  ;D list with the non-geographic numbers you call most frequently.

I don't think you will find any workaround for 0871 numbers. They are fixed rate
    On the contrary.  

There is only one set of charges for 0845 and 0870 calls (you have quoted BT's charges above) but there are seven for 0871 prefixes - 3p/minute, 5p/minute, 6p/minute, 7p/minute, 8p/minute, 9p/minute & 10p/minute (no, I have no idea why there isn't a 4p/minute range).
    30 years, 217 days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport