120 replies 10.7K views
v1ckytv1ckyt Forumite
288 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 1 January 2022 at 9:40PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hello all!

(waves tentatively as creeps out of lurkdom!):wave:

I have read so many diaries and been inspired by them, particularly GallyGirl, Nattypants, and Tilly's so have decieded that maybe its time to start myown dairy, if only to provide me with some focus on repaying my mortgage(s).

Have a 30 year mortgage taken out in 2003 after divorce so just in my name but have been overpaying and hope that is will be gone by mid 2023, which would be ten years early. Really I'd like it paid off my December 2022 so would be gone before my 50th birthday, so then can start to save for pensions/retirement but that might be pushing it a bit.

Anyway, enough waffle for now, off to do kids some cheap lunch and meal plan out of the freezer for the next week, oh and must stay away from dh's chocolate he foolishly left in the fridge whilst at work :D as have been working on reducing waistline as well as mortgage!

be back later, Vicky
Owed Mid January 2023 £28,992.97 mortgage and stooze balances at £9,109.10.Overall owe £38,102.07 Owed 1st January 2023 £38,507.69

Replies

• Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello v1ckyt and congratulations on starting your very own MFW diary. :wave:

If you've read loads of diaries, and especially gally, natty and Tilly, then you'll know that the next steps are:
    1) Create a sig with numbers so everyone can celebrate with you when they move in the right direction, and
    2) Post frequently (both on your own diary and other people's) even if you have nothing earth-shattering to say, to keep up the motivation and build relationships with people on here.
    :rotfl:

Good luck for the journey. :)
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • edited 24 February 2013 at 12:54PM
    v1ckytv1ckyt Forumite
    288 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2013 at 12:54PM
    Hi Lois and thanks for the welcome,

Have worked out how to gdo signature, very pleased with self (will probably now not appear)
    Ok, will def stop lurking on other's diaries and say hi.
    Lunch done, lunches for tomorrow prepped, kids all bathed, hair washed, de-loused etc so can indulge in some sunday afternoon surfing.

Not entirely sure should be here and not on debt free diaries, as signature(hopefully shows) have loan from very kind, high-earning sister (need to be nice, she reads these forums, love you K x) But all loans tied to mortgage so going to be aspirational and stick around in MFW section.
    All payments are flexible, am overpaying on mortgage 1 by about £60 per month, mortgage 2 by about £40, and paying mortgage overdraft and sister off as fast as possible, with any overpayments going to mortgage overdraft as that' the highes interest. Making the most of the slump in the economywith low interest rates.

Trying for NSD today, mostly by not leaving house.

Off to get art and craft stuff out for youngest 2 now, glitter fest here we come!
    Owed Mid January 2023 £28,992.97 mortgage and stooze balances at £9,109.10.Overall owe £38,102.07 Owed 1st January 2023 £38,507.69
  • Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Well, if you shouldn't be here then neither should I. My house purchase was paid for by a mortgage plus two loans from family members. There are others in similar positions too. You'll fit right in. :)
    Starting again 13/4/19
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi Vicky, welcome :wave: I too have cc balances and I' m sure there are are few others here who don't just owe on the mortgage! Anyway best of luck with your new diary :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 3 completed and on track 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • v1ckytv1ckyt Forumite
    288 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks girls,

ooh look I have a signature! Next job is to pay some of it off so I can learn how to do that crossing out, followed by new balance bit!

End of month and various paydays approaching so hopefully will be doing some of that later this week. :)
  • gallygirlgallygirl Forumite
    17.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Lois_E wrote: »
    2) Post frequently (both on your own diary and other people's) [STRIKE]even[/STRIKE] especially if you have nothing earth-shattering to say, to keep up the motivation and build relationships with people on here.
    :rotfl:

Slight correction there Lois :D.

So, plan is to OP 3rd line of sig I suppose?

PS how are you with spreadsheets ;).

PPS well done on delurking and having your own diary :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRSTilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi, welcome to the MFW madhouse. Whilst the main focus is MFW plans we do tend to get side tracked by shoes, walking, chickens, handbags, greenhouses basically anything which helps along our MF paths.

Menu planning is one of my favourite ways to reduce spends. Once you've done the big stuff, it helps to have something else to focus on :T

Best wishes Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • mamamagsmamamags Forumite
    116 Posts
    Forumite
    Welcome Vicky I look forward to reading your diary. I have just started one too so we are probably at the same stage. I am looking at ways to save money but still have an enjoyable lifestyle.
    Holidays are very important to us and a few years ago we decided to cut back on fripperies like takeaways to see if we could afford two holidays a year and so far we have managed it!!
  • Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Forumite
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Slight correction there Lois :D.

Oops, thanks gally. :rotfl:
    v1ckyt wrote: »
    All payments are flexible, am overpaying on mortgage 1 by about £60 per month, mortgage 2 by about £40, and paying mortgage overdraft and sister off as fast as possible, with any overpayments going to mortgage overdraft as that' the highes interest. Making the most of the slump in the economywith low interest rates.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    So, plan is to OP 3rd line of sig I suppose?

Good point, gally. v1cky, your best bet is to stop bothering to OP anything at all on mortgage 1 and mortgage 2, and throw everything you've got at the mortgage OD until it's gone (alongside paying your sister, of course, at whatever rate best suits your arrangement and relationship with her). You're throwing money away if you pay off debts at 1.09% and 0.69% when you have other debt sitting there at 4.99%. Hope that helps. :)
    Starting again 13/4/19
  • hello Vickyt, welcome aboard. This is very addictive, I find.
    mortgage 1 33,000. paid nov 2012 :D. mortgage 2 87,000 due 51,686.76 at july 2013, but then:new home and remortgage ... £101065.43:eek: now 74k