PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• trulymadlyhannah
    Options
    Ive increased my budget for March due to my little lady being due at the start of April and i don't want to be caught short with no food :)

I overspent in Feb due to 3 visits to McDonalds and junk food purchases so will hopefully be avoiding McDonalds this month!

My budget for March will be £180 and Ive spent £85 so far

Off to update my blog :)
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm new to MSE too. Could anyone point me to anywhere that talks about saving car fuel too???? I'm trying to cut down my consumption. maybe it's just common sense.T

Welcome Fancynancy (love the name :D). :wave:

At the top of the board is a list of of topics, travel motoring will probably be your best bet for fuel savings. Here's a link to it too:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/

It can take a while to find your way around, but don't be afraid to ask as someone is bound to come and help you out. ;)

If you're trying to cut down then you're definitely in the right part of the forum, as there are lots of different threads in Old Style Moneysaving. You could also take a peek in to Debt Free Wanabee if you like challenges, savings challenges etc. Although lots of people on the DFW threads are working their way out of debt there is lots of useful stuff on there that anyone can be a part of.

Hope that helps honey.

Welcome to all the other lurkers who are taking the plunge and officially joining in this month! :beer:

Spent £4 in Icy today and £3.52 at Morris's.
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • rock_queen
    Options
    Did my first shop of the challenge, bought enough dog food to last the month and possibly longer and did a big shop in Aldi and Lidl. Planning to batch cook and freeze this month to build up our freezer stock again after losing all our previous stockpile because the freezer broke. Total spend so far 176.24
    :T Looking forward to the future :T
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had to nip to L!dl as DH requested salad for tea after I'd been shopping! £3.52 plus £1 on clothes wash from Mossys market. :)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another update - ive spent another £6.01. On YS mushrooms, toiletries (used 2 coupons, saved £5.10 as the toiletries were half price, plus 2x £1.00 coupons off). Treats from HB £1.63, milk which again was free with cravendale coupons. Toilet rolls 2x 4pack free from Mr W. and buy 2 get 1 free vanilla extract, again from Mr W. and celery from A**i. So all in all quite a good day.
  • lucylollipop
    Options
    Ok March, here I go! I did my big shop for the month today - £60.81 in Mr.T. That should be all the non-perishables I need for the month though, with just top ups for fresh bits as and when, and the 2 nights out that are planned. Menu plan needs adjusting, but it's looking organised right now...
    *2016 - the year of the savings account!*

GC: Jan (£300/£179.76) 8 NSD
    Diet: 60lbs this year - so far: 0.5
  • CherryPie
    Options
    :wave:

Hello, can I sneak back in??

Been away for a few months (made redundant, moved in with mother, found flat & new job) <<6 months in brief!!

So time to get back to normal.

Can I be put down for £100 please. All groceries & toiletries etc

Oh how I've missed the banter, inventive recipes and motivation!!

:beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,090 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD here. I am going into town tomorrow to sort out banking so may get some shopping while out.
    For dinner we had a sausage stir fry - well mainly veggie . It is a case of hunt the sausage. It was yummy though.

Mondaysdinner_zps76c077e1.jpg?t=1361829809
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering - 2024 - 4,177 June - 1966/153
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £57.52/£100 NSD - 114
    2024 Craft Makes - 235 Craft Spends 2024 £403.10/£500
  • MrsCautious
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to update here, I hope it's ok to do that? I know the challenge doesn't start until March but was very pleased to make my own pasta sauce today for my daughters and their friend who came to tea, with tinned tomatoes, onion, mushroom, garlic and basil from supplies at home.I should imagine this is a pretty basic thing for many people but it's not something I've done before :)

My tea was homemade soup.

I feel like soup and pasta sauce are 2 things I shouldn't buy even though I always have due to lack of time, but making them myself has been quick and quite relaxing in a funny sort of way (I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and am off work. This money saving malarkey has brought me a positive focus I feel, thanks for letting me witter) xx
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...will be in here soon as later plan to add up feb spends and move on to march...im not sure how much i have spent so not sure wether i will be turning cart wheels or sobbing in to my tea ( dont drink alcohol) so cant sob into that

i shall be back later with the figures
    tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills