MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback

Options

Comments

• rusty_f
    rusty_f Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to be captured inconsistently by the Cheap Energy Club. I attempted to switch to So Energy (no indication on the Cheap Energy Club site that they didn't accept IGTs), but when trying to switch my MPRN failed validation because it was associated with an IGT and they stated they don't support them.

I also tried switching to GB Energy Supply. Their website said they couldn't switch and I had to call - now, I don't know whether they accept IGT or not, but I gave up on them after being in a queue for 15 minutes.

Is there any way that the MSE team can find out whether each supplier supports IGTs and put this clearly on their site? I have a switch in progress now but given my two failed attempts I'm not convinced the next one will go smoothly. According to what I read via Google there are around 1 millions addresses which are provided by IGTs so not an insignificant amount.

I love the tool, and its great getting alerts, but they are now not as useful because they don't necessarily mean I can save some money. FYI - I've only just moved into this property, previously I used to tool and I was on the national gas grid so had no problems and was able to switch each time I got the email alert.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2016 at 2:32PM
    Options
    There is a similar problem with suppliers who may, or may not, support Warm Home Discount.

Come on CEC - can you do anything to help us?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Former_MSE_Roxanne
    Options
    There is a similar problem with suppliers who may, or may not, support Warm Home Discount.

Come on CEC - can you do anything to help us?

Hi Consumerist,

On the CEC results page, we highlight if a supplier offers the Warm Home Discount, although this isn’t a guarantee that any individual will receive it. It’s a little complex to provide all the information about each supplier as different information applies to users who are part of the core group and users who are part of the broader group eligible for the Warm Home Discount.

If you’re part of the broader group that energy suppliers consider for the Warm Home Discount, the criteria for receiving the discount varies from supplier to supplier and places are limited. If you're worried you won't be eligible for the Warm Home Discount when you switch suppliers, you could check the details of their scheme (we provide a link on the results page) or speak to your chosen supplier before submitting the switch.

If there was something else you were wanting to raise, do let us know.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Former_MSE_Roxanne
    Options
    rusty_f wrote: »
    This seems to be captured inconsistently by the Cheap Energy Club. I attempted to switch to So Energy (no indication on the Cheap Energy Club site that they didn't accept IGTs), but when trying to switch my MPRN failed validation because it was associated with an IGT and they stated they don't support them.

I also tried switching to GB Energy Supply. Their website said they couldn't switch and I had to call - now, I don't know whether they accept IGT or not, but I gave up on them after being in a queue for 15 minutes.

Is there any way that the MSE team can find out whether each supplier supports IGTs and put this clearly on their site? I have a switch in progress now but given my two failed attempts I'm not convinced the next one will go smoothly. According to what I read via Google there are around 1 millions addresses which are provided by IGTs so not an insignificant amount.

I love the tool, and its great getting alerts, but they are now not as useful because they don't necessarily mean I can save some money. FYI - I've only just moved into this property, previously I used to tool and I was on the national gas grid so had no problems and was able to switch each time I got the email alert.

Hi rusty_f,

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve tried to include a message below each supplier who’s told us it won’t supply those supported by IGTs. So Energy's told us that it does generally supply those who are with an IGT.

We do sometimes hear about new market entrants experiencing some teething problems so it looks like it might just be the case here.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Hi Consumerist,

On the CEC results page, we highlight if a supplier offers the Warm Home Discount, although this isn’t a guarantee that any individual will receive it. It’s a little complex to provide all the information about each supplier as different information applies to users who are part of the core group and users who are part of the broader group eligible for the Warm Home Discount.

If you’re part of the broader group that energy suppliers consider for the Warm Home Discount, the criteria for receiving the discount varies from supplier to supplier and places are limited. If you're worried you won't be eligible for the Warm Home Discount when you switch suppliers, you could check the details of their scheme (we provide a link on the results page) or speak to your chosen supplier before submitting the switch.

If there was something else you were wanting to raise, do let us know.
    Thanks Roxanne.

The problem is that we don't know which supplier to ask until we have completed the comparison and have selected one.

This means having to abandon any switch request and then contacting the selected supplier. You will appreciate this means having to repeat the comparison process until we have selected a supplier who does support Warm Home Discount.

It would seem, from what you say, that it's not always that simple for you to give a definitive decision at the time of a comparison.
  • Macgirl78
    Macgirl78 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm currently looking into changing my supplier as the kWh prices for sites suggested on here are lower than my current provider, even if I move to their lowest fixed option. However on reading this thread I see that there are often discrepancies and many suggest double checking using a spreadsheet. I love a spreadsheet and (rather sadly) enjoy doing stuff like that but don't have the first idea what info to put in. Can anyone attach or point me in the direction of such a spreadsheet that i could put my stuff in to make sure i'm getting a good deal.
    Many thanks
  • Paul217
    Options
    Big frustration switching from Ovo to Flow.

Despite switching in early Dec and cancelling Direct Debit (I was £300 in credit and use £90 a month in winter). Ovo over-rode my debit cancellation instructions and took another £90 from my bank account a couple of days before the switch. Then, despite having a Smart Meter so they could take my reading on switchover day, Ovo told me I had to wait 6 weeks for my refund as they 'dont know the final reading'. Eventhough I emailed my reading to new and old energy companies the day after switch. Ovo now say the readings have to go on a big 'national central database' and in this age of instant electronic communication this takes 6 weeks.

This ridiculous foot dragging while holding onto customers money underlines why people are put off switching.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paul217 wrote: »
    Big frustration switching from Ovo to Flow.

Despite switching in early Dec and cancelling Direct Debit (I was £300 in credit and use £90 a month in winter). Ovo over-rode my debit cancellation instructions and took another £90 from my bank account a couple of days before the switch. Then, despite having a Smart Meter so they could take my reading on switchover day, Ovo told me I had to wait 6 weeks for my refund as they 'dont know the final reading'. Eventhough I emailed my reading to new and old energy companies the day after switch. Ovo now say the readings have to go on a big 'national central database' and in this age of instant electronic communication this takes 6 weeks.

This ridiculous foot dragging while holding onto customers money underlines why people are put off switching.

They all continue to claim DDs until the final readings have been received. I am paying 3 suppliers at the moment including Ovo. Despite the fact that you have a smart meter, the gaining supplier manages the switch and it provides meter readings to the old supplier. All meter readings go through third-party arbitration as customers have been known to misread meters. No doubt when, or if, we all get smart meters that all suppliers can access then this procedure will be modified. In sum, Ovo will do nothing until Flow sends them closing meter readings. Frustrating isn't it.
  • Consumerist
    edited 10 January 2016 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Macgirl78 wrote: »
    . . . Can anyone attach or point me in the direction of such a spreadsheet that i could put my stuff in to make sure i'm getting a good deal. . .
    If you're into spreadsheets, it's fairly simple to set them up to do the job.

Energy bills have the following components ;-

1. Electricity unit rate (p/kWh) x annual electricity consumption (kWh/yr)
    2. Electricity annual standing charge
    3. Gas unit rate (p/kWh) x annual gas consumption (kWh/yr)
    4. Gas annual standing charge

Add these up to get your estimated annual energy cost and then subtract any annual discounts (e.g. Direct Debit & On-line billing discounts)

You may need to add any IGT charges and subtract the Warm Home Discount if it applies to you.

Once you've got one worksheet up and running you can copy it to more sheets in the same workbook to make your comparisons
  • ynotnotlob
    Options
    hi,
    hope someone can advise me.
    I have started a move to Flow energy from Eon on 11 DEC ,
    I have logged into my account and it says switch in progress.
    Flow energy say they have no record of the switch
    Have emailed Cheap Energy Club twice and had no reply, no other way of contacting them.
    Not Happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport