Real-life MMD: I got £400 for finding someone a job, should I give them half?

Options

Comments

• goldtop
    goldtop Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    There is no reason to share. If she had gone to an agency she would not be asking them for a share of the commission which is basically what the referral is. Also when I did something similar the referral was taxable so presumably you will receive less than £400. A lot of companies do not pay until the referred person has been with the company x no. of months so I am surprised she is planning on spending 'your' money so quickly. I received more than you did when i did a referral and agreed to take my friend to a posh restaurant but this still left me several hundred in hand.

You could give your friend a small gift or take her for a meal but that would only be because you appreciated her going through you to apply for the job but that is as far as you need to go regarding payments.
  • nczm
    nczm Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally I would have agreed the split in advance, but it's your reputation on the line, most firms have a claw back if someone leaves within a certain amount of time. I personally wouldn't split if not agreed upfront because you've most likely been taxed for it and you would be giving your friend tax free cash, that said if it's going to ruin your friendship I'd try the "it's for a referee and I've spent it" and if they push then go half
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    My employer runs a scheme where if someone you refer gets a job, you receive £400.

I recently referred a friend looking for a higher salary and, happily, she got the job and she now earns an extra £300pcm.

She seems to think the £400 will be split between us and has asked me what 'we' should do with 'our' £400.

Should I tell her it's actually meant for the referee alone, or keep quiet and split it?

If I was the friend who had got the job, I would be offering to take you out for a meal - after all, I'm now earning £300pcm more than I did before.

Show her the firm's information about the referral scheme. If she wants to find someone and refer them, she will be able to get her own £400.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If you did not discuss it before hand then no share.
    If you did then half of the net after tax and other costs would be very generous.
    Did you discuss what they would do with the extra monthly income?
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • redfragglebiker
    Options
    I would say it is your referral fee so you should keep it as she is now better off in the new job etc. She could claim the same fee if she introduced a friend and her extra wages should be benefit enough to her. IF you're not sure how to tackle it perhaps explain to her that you didn't realise she thought you were splitting it and have already used it to pay off the Christmas credit card bill or somesuch. If you feel really bad perhaps buy her a few drinks on the first weekend after she starts?
    Everyone has a dark side... apparently mine is called Harold?!? :huh:
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never thought to ask recruitment agents if I can have half their fee if I get the job...maybe I should start doing that :)
  • Cleuch45
    Options
    Certainly not!! You were asked for recommendations and gave it. Now you are being paid. She was not doing you a favour, she was bettering herself and you have already helped her. Think she is being a bit greedy.
  • alfacat
    alfacat Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I have been a referred employee where my referer got a lump of cash (and in fact significantly more than in this post!) and not ever ever ever would it have occurred to me to ask for half, or any percentage, or even expect a meal out!!

Likewise I was looking for a new job and had a significant pay rise - my benefit out of the deal, my friend got a lump of cash for their trouble. Win/Win!!

Without wishing to sound entirely full of contempt for your selfish, greedy friend, your friend is selfish and greedy!!

On a similar but slightly different note, when my daughter's nursery offered £100 gift card for a referral of another child, I referred my neice to a nursery of the same group in another town and split the gift card with my sister - that seemed entirely fair.
  • SueB8831
    Options
    I have been in the same situation and felt obliged to split the money. If I hadn't I would have lost a 'friend' and working with them would have been intolerable. I got no thanks, but at least I felt I did the decent thing and as someone else commented, if they hadn't joined the company - I wouldn't have received a bonus anyway!
  • Ravenshade
    Options
    Hm, I'd personally split if it was a friend...then again, I have only a few select friends and they can ask me for anything.

Besides, you didn't refer her for the money, you referred her so that she could get a job...right?
    Be Warned: Any decision made by ATOS should be treated with the contempt and suspicion in rightly deserves. If in any doubt, make sure to appeal any and all decisions by ATOS. Do not take their word for it, do not give them an inch of trust.

When judging if ATOS were fit for work, it looks like they self-assessed. //Rant-Disclaimer End.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure