MSE News: Households spend millions on unused TV channels

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
30 replies 4.2K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
"Consumers spend £22 on average on extra TV channels, but three-quarters of viewing time goes on free-to-air channels..."

Replies

• ACGACG Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im with Kurtis.

I pay for Boxing channels and films - it doesnt mean i sit watching them all day, i still watch a bit of Jezza in the morning, the gf (ok me really) watches coronation street... this isnt a story.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come on guys; have you forgotten the title of this site - MoneySavingExpert?

If pointing out where people are wasting money they could easily save is not MoneySaving I don't know what is.

Okay maybe not headline news but still a story nethertheless.
  • alinwalesalinwales Forumite
    322 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i think this is aimed at people who buy package AB and C, but only watch package C (e.g. Sport for those above). The headline is a bit misleading though. You can't arguing about paying for something you use.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised so many viewers pay when there is so much stuff on FREESATFROMSKY. Plus the 1HR and playback on the computer.
    OK not so much sport but that is best played for real.
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With data, I suspect the problems come with estimating the use you're going to make , particularly for customers going online for the first time. Using more than your allowance is prohibitively expensive so it is no surprise that people err on the side of caution. The balance of unused data will be seen in this survey as wasted money, even though it may still be the cheapest option for the individual customer.

As such the basic premise behind the survey is flawed, (other than giving publicity for the survey sponsors.)
  • What annoys me is being obliged to pay for the phone line with Virgin when I don't even use it.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must say I looked into this and can say I am one of the moneysaving lot. I have freeview and freesat and talk talk broadband.

More than enough to watch and the internet is more than fast enough, I am not paying a fortuen for faster broadband which actually makes no difference when browsing.

Sky Movies makes me laugh, see the latest films before anywhere else for £16 a month.

How about getting a cineworld unlimited card, watcg all the latest films before sky movies on a much bigger screen for £14.99 a month.

Ok I know not everybody lives close enough to a cineworld, but when you do its a no brainer... surely...
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • TotalityTotality Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Sky Movies makes me laugh, see the latest films before anywhere else for £16 a month.

How about getting a cineworld unlimited card, watcg all the latest films before sky movies on a much bigger screen for £14.99 a month.

Ok I know not everybody lives close enough to a cineworld, but when you do its a no brainer... surely...

Is that £14.99 per person though?

£16 a month for movies is MUCH cheaper than taking a family to the cinema to see just one film. That's why it's a no brainer for many.
  • wpeteraceswpeteraces Forumite
    11 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    We live in a rural area..no mobile signal, no freesat, no fast broadband [we are too far away for phone line B/B] We use SKY [basic plus sports] & a satellite broadband provider £25 per month, down/up load allowance is pathetic, once all'ce. is used, speed slows to less than dial up!
    Any suggestions please? [other than moving house!]
  • CaddymanCaddyman Forumite
    342 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    wpeteraces wrote: »
    We live in a rural area..no mobile signal, no freesat, no fast broadband [we are too far away for phone line B/B] We use SKY [basic plus sports] & a satellite broadband provider £25 per month, down/up load allowance is pathetic, once all'ce. is used, speed slows to less than dial up!
    Any suggestions please? [other than moving house!]

I'm confused about why you can't have Freesat? Only a case of using an existing dish (I put my own up without any issues) if you have one and buying a Freesat receiver and you're away. If you already have a Sky box, you can already receive a certain amount of free channels anyway? I don't have Sky, I have both Freesat and Freeview and other than my annual TV licence and the electric to run the TV and receiver, I pay nothing else. Ok, I don't have some fancy film or sports package, but there's more than enough on Freesat and Freeview to keep us entertained. We have some good neighbours who are also very good friends and they pay nearly 70 quid a month for everything they have. I'd rather have the money in my pocket.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides