British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Futuristic wrote: »
    I have my parents on last years BG Collective Oct 2017 fix and I'm moving home soon so they'd be using a lot less electricity and I would be using more at mine.

Can I 'move home' on their BG fix to my new address and sign up my parents to another available fix with BG or whatever cheapest from MSE energy club?

Hi Futuristic, sorry for the delay in my reply.
    Although your parents could take the Collective Tariff with them if they moved home, you wouldn't be able to take over their tariff and would need to choose a new deal for your own account. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a note to say thanks to British Gas Rep Matt. I had the problem with British Gas not allowing my tariff to continue whilst I transferred to another supplier, and nobody at the call centre seeming to know what I was on about!

I have been away, but today rang the number recommended by him in post 307, and it was sorted straight away. For me it came to over £30 off my final bill, so well worth it.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    Just a note to say thanks to British Gas Rep Matt. I had the problem with British Gas not allowing my tariff to continue whilst I transferred to another supplier, and nobody at the call centre seeming to know what I was on about!

I have been away, but today rang the number recommended by him in post 307, and it was sorted straight away. For me it came to over £30 off my final bill, so well worth it.

Hi Annabee, so happy to hear it's all been sorted out and hope everything works out with your new supplier. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • cannedpictures
    Options
    hi Matt it has been resolved see my rather late update to the top thread christine
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    hi Matt it has been resolved see my rather late update to the top thread christine

Hi cannedpictures, it's great to hear this has been sorted out for you and I'm sure it's a relief for you.
    If you haven't already I'd also recommend taking a look if there's also any support available through the British Gas Energy Trust. Cheers, Matt
  • FactualGnome
    FactualGnome Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 10:27AM
    Options
    We switched our duel fuel supply to British Gas Oct 2016 following tips from MSE's Cheap Energy Club.

British Gas failed to organise our billing for 5 MONTHS - they failed to keep us informed and failed to respond to our mounting concerns about this!
    I couldnt view my online account - I was restricted from how much I was owing and was unable to pay as there was no bill available for me to pay!

We received a huge bill (after 5 months) explaining that we were now nearly £400 in debt (from 5 months usage).

Our estimated forecast from British Gas was £64.
    Its ended up being more than double.

We have complained to British Gas 'again' recently (FAO Manager only!) Its been 5 days now and no response what so ever - disgusting in itself as most companies at least send an acknowledgement email - again an example of British Gas leaving its customers in the dark!

I cant put into words how frustrating and stressful this switch has been, I often switch supplier to save money - with no problems, but this demonstrates how terrible British Gas are. It almost seems like a scam to keep customers in the dark about their billing and then hitting them with a huge debt whilst mounting charges for the current usage.

UPDATE - It gets WORSE - See my next post below 19th May..
  • David_rj_green
    Options
    What a disaster I have had switching to Sainsbury's Energy. They are under the umbrella of British Gas, as I now discover. Typical of British Gas, I have encountered poor service, lack of ability to administer my account properly and now they have the audacity to send me a letter re payment. I set up a direct debit for £100 pcm when I joined in September 2016. Only now have they come through to me and told me they have actually collected none of the direct debits and that I owe them £870 approx.
    British Gas are an incompetent administrator of customer service. In addition they have resorted to lying to me about having sent letters and e-mails. They ought to be barred from the Cheap Energy Club suppliers list.
  • David_rj_green
    Options
    What is so difficult about contacting customers efficiently and effectively. Having set up a direct debit in September 2016 British Gas have failed to take a single payment and are threatening to send baliffs in because of their incompetence. Customer contact has/is appalling as it was when I was a erstwhile British Gas customer.
    Having selected Sainsbury's Energy, I now find I am with the same incompetent company and once more distressed by the inability of British Gas to operate efficiently and effectively.
    Why is British Gas so badly organized? My bank have just told me that British Gas did not present the Direct Debit and have gone back through all my direct debit mandates to January 2014 showing me that you are an incompetent organization.
  • KeithJohnAlger
    Options
    We recently moved into a new build property where the site supplies were all with BG. We informed them of our move in date, and on the date gave them a reading. Which they decided to ignore, and estimate, before sending out someone to read the meters three weeks later, and then used their readings as the opening values - pointed this out to them, but they never did revise it. On setting up our account, they never did manage to do that properly, and decided to keep on estimating our bills, because our readings were too far out! Their monthly estimate for our new build small very well insulated home, around £600 per month!!!! Actual usage closer to £55 per month! Needless to say we switched very quickly. It doesn't stop there though! We finally got BG to read the meter rather than use their estimates, and after persuading them that we hadn't used 10,000 units of gas over 3 months they finally agreed with us on the figure we'd supplied on the date we transferred. However that was not the end of the matter, as they then supplied a completely different figure as the final reading to our new supplier (even though we'd also supplied them with the opening figure). So in order to get the correct figure confirmed to our new supplier took yet more phone calls and time.

Five months contact with British Gas, and according to phone logs I spent 34 hours on the phone to customer services!
  • FactualGnome
    Options
    I finally received a response from British Gas.
    No matter what happens - if a company can reassure you, compensate you and generally appear sympathetic - all can be forgiven. Trust is rebuilt in that company and you can actually go onto recommend them if you receive good customer service...

But what British Gas have done is insult me!
    Following their failures over 5 MONTHS - their explanation was I quote: "These things unfortunately happen. This is a shortfall in service"

I went on to read however: "as such compensation shall be awarded" So I thought ok...until they state: "
    We do not offer compensation for distress and inconvenience caused"?!

The 'Goodwill' gesture British Gas has equated 5 MONTHS of failings and delays to is - £40(?)

The customer service advisor then went on to BLAME me - for not 'guessing' my bill and putting money aside for the future!
    And actually stating that as we had a newborn baby this had obviously caused our Electricity bill to therefore DOUBLE.

Because I wasnt happy with these accusations, British Gas have now taken the Goodwill gesture back.

Its the worst customer service ive ever experienced. I am absolutely gutted to have ever had anything to do with British Gas.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback